One Way rental included in daily price on Priceline?

Ola Dunk
By Ola Dunk,
in

Yesterday I used a european service to book a car for my roadtrip starting 08.00AM 28th of July at Denver International Airport (DEN) and ending 21.00PM 17th of August at Los Angeles Airport (LAX) . I booked a premium car.

I was quite happy with the price that was around US$916. I calculated that this means around $45 pr day ($916/20.54 days) and when checking this on the "name your own price" on Priceline I saw that I was not likely to get a cheaper price there. I was given $53 and $56 as suggested daily bids.

However, this morning I received the confirmation for my rental and was informed that US$300 + tax is to be paid locally upon pick-up due to one-way rental fee. I was also informed that I am free to cancel the rental with 100% refund upto 40 hours before start.

I have never used PRICELINE before (frequent HOTWIRE user though), so I'm completely new to this. My question is if one way rental fee is baked into the daily price that is shown on priceline "name your own price"? I read through terms/faqs but could only find information that everything is included except drop-off fee when delivering the car. Can anybody tell me exactly what I have to add to the daily price given for a one way rental?

• 2 weeks later...

My question is if one way rental fee is baked into the daily price that is shown on priceline "name your own price"? I read through terms/faqs but could only find information that everything is included except drop-off fee when delivering the car. Can anybody tell me exactly what I have to add to the daily price given for a one way rental?

I mailed Priceline customer support and received the following answer:

"We understand that

you would like to know about one way drop-off fee for rental car, if you

submit a request using the Name Your Own Price option. Also, you would

like to know whether one way drop-off fee is included in daily price.

If you choose to Name Your Own Price, your rental car company will not

charge you any additional one-way drop-off fee if you drop the rental

car at your reserved drop off location.

If you decide to choose the exact partner from the list of rates and

decide to pick up the rental car at one location and drop it off at a

different location, you will be charged an additional drop-off fee by

the rental car partner."

Thank you for posting the response from PRICELINE. I had used HOTWIRE for one way rentals on two occasions, never a drop off charge, my rate is what I paid. You will be asked to pay for an upgrade, better insurance, for the fueling option, and for a gps rental. No, no, and heck no. good luck and please post your results.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Priceline "name-your-own-price" for one-way rentals several times in the last year and the bid price (plus stated taxes and fees) is all that I have ever had to pay. To be more clear, I have NEVERR been charged an additional "one-way drop off fee" over and above what I prepaid with Priceline.

Oneway rental car bookings are relatively new to Priceline and are not always available. I recently tried to book a one-way car rental with pick-up at LAX and drop-off as Las Vegas (LAS) and Priceline said:

"Name Your Own Price is not available for the itinerary you requested. The best available rates are shown below."

So it seems to me that the one-way rentals still have some limitations. In Florida, I have always been able to book one-way rentals between all the cities we have ever travelled using Priceline, e.g., I've booked RSW-TPA, I've booked RSW-MCO and I've booked MIA-FLL. And, I've always been able to use it in the NYC area, often picking up at one airport but dropping off at another (e.g., EWR - HPN; or LGA - EWR). So, it is definitely worth it to try "name-your-own-price" for your oneway rental.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]