Priceline Hotel: Boutique San Francisco (USE) Harbor Court

krloeb
By krloeb,
in

Hi,

We just place some bids for hotel in San Francisco. June 24 and 25, 2005. We are family of four and placed a bid for a 3 star hotel. We were given the Horbnor court for $65.00 per night. However there is $30 parking. The problem is we need two beds and the boutique hotels only have a single bed and do not accomidate a family of four. This is the first time we have had this problem in over 20 priceline interactions. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Priceline states that a boutique is an upgrade and is allowed according to their policy. They are refusing to cancel the reservation. In addition their customer service is very unpleasant to deal with.

Keith L

I sympathize with your situation, however Priceline reserves the right to upgrade. Basically, this means Priceline couldn't find a 3* hotel willing to accept your $65 bid price, however a Boutique (a higher quality hotel in Priceline's view) was available for your price. Thus the upgrade.

I know it's too late this time, but 4* hotels in SF are often available in the 70's and low 80's. The 4* Hyatt Regency Embarcadero just one block from the Harbor Court has been coming in as low as $67. Because of this, you'll notice very little posting activity of winning 3* bids on the SF Priceline board.

Also, the $30 parking charge is common throughout SF, no matter the quality level of the hotel. Be advised!

The only suggestion I can offer is that you contact Priceline again and *ask* if they would cancel your original transaction with the understanding that you're going to immediately rebid in the 4* category. I was successful ONCE when I goofed on a hotel reservation and they allowed me to place an immediate rebid. I just considered myself lucky that I got the right person at the right time and can't guarantee you'll have the same experience. But what have you got to lose by asking?

At any rate, best of luck to you and I hope your family has a great weekend in SF.

Note to thereuare: Should this post be moved from the Hotwire to the Priceline board?

Do you mean the Harbor Court hotel?

You are in a bad spot, because based on the extensive room descriptions, it looks like *all* of the rooms in this hotel only accommodate two people.

I think your best bet might be to throw yourself on the mercy of the manager, although I'm not sure what he/she can do in this case.

Edit: BEAV's suggestion is likely better. I hope that works for you.

Here's another suggestion: Resign yourself to the Harbor Court and bid $65 3* for another room there. I mean, at the very best you're going to be eating the cost of one room, and a conventional booking will cost you about as much as two PL rooms anyway. And with two rooms you'll be GUARANTEED to get two beds, which you can otherwise never be sure of using PL in downtown SF for one room.

In addition to what BEAV wrote about 4* versus 3* in downtown SF, note that there are plenty of rebid zones for 4*, but only one or two for 3*. So you can't refine your bid as well with 3* to begin with. Downtown 4* bidding is rather predictable -- the Hilton isn't my favorite place, but when I'm bidding in the USW at least I know what to expect.

If you have a car, I'm not sure how you expected to drive into the City and pay significantly less than $30 for parking.

All good suggestions above!

If going for a 2nd room at the Harbor Court, why not book it through Hotwire, then apply for double-the-difference on the lower Priceline rate? I did that very thing this past week at the Omni in SF. I needed two rooms, bought one on Priceline, the other on Hotwire, and applied for (and received) double-the-difference refund the higher Hotwire rate.

Hotwire is currently displaying the Harbor Court for the OP's dates for $106. (Other browsers may display slightly different rate). But it's the 3.5 star in the Embarcadero zone, with amenities of Boutique, Restaurant, Pool & Fitness.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Within priceline's right, you were upgraded to a higher rated hotel (based upon their own star rating system). The hierarchy is explained further in this thread which you may want to give a quick read: PRICELINE STAR RATINGS.

Regardless of the upgrade, you could have had a 'one bed dilemma' at any star level. While i sympathize with your situation, i think you took a risk (booking one room for quad occupancy) and it didn't go in your favor this time. So far taking this risk has worked in your favor 95% of the time... but you chose to take the risk and i don't think that Priceline should be willing to cancel your reservation.

Let us know how it ultimately works out.

PS- for the future, Hotwire does allow users to search hotels based upon quad occupancy

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just a quick update since we are still on vacation. The Hotel Harbor Court is ggreat. After reading you helpfull suggestions and colmments we decided it was not worth fighting about. We were prepared to either sleep on the floorr or split up with me staying at a friends place across town. Harbor court gave us one of their few rooms with a king size bed for both nights. Then they invited the kids into the lobby for warm cookies and milk prior to bed. We awoke the next day well refreshed and went across the street to a great farmer's market. Thanks for your helpful comments. I will still press priceline to classify the boutique hotels seperately.

KeithL

Thanks for the follow up, and I'm glad to hear everything worked out well. Kimpton is pretty good when it comes to customer service.

I encourage you to contact Priceline further regarding quality level upgrades. There are a number of cases where people bid 2.5 stars which are frequently upgraded to 3 stars. In a lot of these cases, the people prefer the 2.5 star property over the 3 star. Many 2.5 star properties are newer, unlike older, more run down 3 stars. Also, many 2.5 star properties offer free parking, complimentary breakfast, hi-speed internet, etc, that aren't offered at 3 star hotels.

There are many of us, myself included, that would like the option to waive an upgrade when bidding on Priceline. I suspect in most all upgrade situations, the higher quality level hotel is available for less than the lower, thus the upgrade. But in the end, it often costs the bidder more at the higher grade property because of the lack of inclusives.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]