DFW - STR Germany 7/27 - 8/29

writermom38
By writermom38,
in

Hello,

I have used priceline successfully for hotels. I have never bid for airfare. My son will be traveling to Germany for a month. The cheapest price we have found is 1017 with Orbitz. I have seen lower rates, but they have not included taxes and fees.

If i bid, is the bid the total price or will they add taxes and fees?

Are there any suggestions on what to bid? His dates are a little flexible.

thanks

pam

I went to the British Airways site which is one of the lower priced carriers for this route. He will have to change airports in London. On the way, he would only be in London for a few hours, but on the return trip overnight.

Can anyone offer an idea as to how much transportation between airports would be? I suppose he could check in to youth hostels if there are any in London. Just curious.

Thanks

pam

Take the National Express bus between airports - http://www.nationalexpress.com

It will cost around 17 pounds, unless he's a student.

British Airways tends to have very tight connections when changing airports is involved. It takes several hours to go through the whole routine of disembarking the plane, going through immigration, picking up your bags, going to the bus stop, getting through London traffic, and checking into the next flight. Quite often these lead to the person missing the flight. However, if BA sells you this itinerary on one ticket, they should get you on the next flight.

There are numerous youth hostels in London - this one is about the most central possible and has reasonable reviews for a hostel: http://www.piccadillyhotel.net

I would strongly advise against changing airports in London. Even I - as a very experienced traveller and frequent flyer - would not do that, as it is just a hassle that I do not want to subject myself to. Remember that you have to carry your luggage with you - it will NOT be transferred between Gatwick and Heathrow or vice versa.

Even connecting at London Heathrow is a pain in the butt - just for that I would not do any connection there below 90 minutes. Between Heathrow and Gatwick at least four hours are necessary to connect

without hassles.

If you consider the price of a hotel on the return as you have an overnight, I'd go with the two-stop option on AA for $1131 (bookable on Orbitz) through FRA. This is basically a non-stop connecting to a direct High-Speed train to Stuttgart (that train stops in Mannheim which is the "second stop" mentioned by Orbitz - you just stay in your seat and wait the three minutes until the train continues to Stuttgart). Frankfurt airport has a train-station so you bascially clear customs and then walk to the "Fernbahnhof" - about a ten minute stroll - to catch the train.

Greetings - Dirk

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]