Hotwire Hotel: Help: San Diego 2.5*- 3*

leo_zephyr
By leo_zephyr,
in

I am looking for a decent place to spend the last weekend in June with my wife and infant daughter in San Diego. We plan to see the SD Zoo, and after that just relax - hence ALL areas are ok with me. I will be driving from a neighbouring state, and have been to SD once hence driving within city hopefully should not be a problem for me. My big constraint is the budget. I am hoping to put down between $40- $65 per day for my 3 day stay. (with hopefully no extra parking charges) :) I do not have a backup hotel booked as yet, and am depending only on priceline at the moment. If the priceline bids fail - i may have to cancel my entire trip.. :) HELP !

Welcome to Better Bidding!

Can you tell us the exact dates you are planning for your hotel stay? You mentioned the last weekend in June, but does that mean June 23 - 26 or ? :)

Also, although you say all areas, can you let us know your preferences? San Diego has so many zones, it helps to have a starting point. Do you have any preferences for hotel type or amenities?

You might want to take a look at some of the Hotwire listings, also, especially if you want a property with a kitchenette or similar. (Actually, you posted this in the Hotwire forum, but thereuare can always move it, depending upon which route you would like to take.)

Here are the dates that I am looking for June 23rd Check in and June 27th Check out. As for the regions, though I do not have too much of a prefrence, I would say Coastal, Old town & point loma, Delmar, Sorrento Mesa would be the order of prefrence. One of my friend stayed in Courtyard in Old town for $45 on the memorial day weekend Sunday, and he said it was a nice clean & comfortable place - even though parking was $12. I am really hoping to get a decent place for less than $60/day for the 3 days i am looking for. :) Thank you

OK, I am confused. You state your dates are June 23-27, that is a 4-night stay, right? You also say 3 days, so I am not sure how many nights you want the hotel for....

I am not sure you would be successful in the zones you mention for under $60 for 2.5* and above. What quality level do you wish? Are you willing to drop down to 2*?

I think you are willing to consider other areas if your first choices don't work out, is that right?

I see the rate for the Courtyard Old Town is $159.

I am sure thereuare can help with more detailed bidding strategies.

Whoops you are correct :) I did mean 3 days. June 24th check in, June 27th check out. I had booked my car for the earlier 23rd, and hence I wrote that by mistake. I apologise. :o As for dropping down to 2*, yes I am willing to drop down to that level - I am assuming that the place will be decent & safe for a small family like mine. Again, I will be willing to consider any other area in San Diego also - but I really cannot go over $60 :) I mentioned Courtyard in Old town, for $45 as my bid successfully for it on the Memorial day Sunday. Hope this helps... :)

I mentioned Courtyard in Old town, for $45 as my bid successfully for it on the Memorial day Sunday.

Can you please post the details of this win as a NEW TOPIC so that we can reflect the win in the topic title and then continue this thread for the remainder of your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Can you please post the details of this win as a NEW TOPIC so that we can reflect the win in the topic title and then continue this thread for the remainder of your stay.

leo_zephyr was just commenting that a friend had a successful bid for $45 for the Courtyard Old Town back in May. :) :o thereuare is very busy these days! :)

Give me a little bit of time and I will see if I can give you a hand on this one, leo_zephyr.

OK, as a starting point, I checked all 18 Hotwire zones for the San Diego area. Only two properties met your cost criteria - a 2* for $47 in Oceanside (Coastal) with Kitchenette, Laundry Facilities (self-service) and a 2.5 * for $56 in Chula Vista-San Ysidro with Complimentary Breakfast, Pool and Laundry Facilities (self-service).

Oceanside is really some miles north of San Diego and Chula Vista-San Ysidro extends right down to the Mexican border, so these are not central locations! :)

You could try Priceline for your first choice areas up to $60 for a 3*, maybe $50 for a 2.5* and dropping to $40 for a 2*. You might also want to include Mission Valley in your list - it's a fairly easy area to get around from and has a wide selection of hotels.

Doing some quick browsing, it looks like San Diego is quite busy for your dates and prices look higher this year than last year (but that's a quick estimate on my part). I really don't know how successful you will be.

Why not try bidding your first choice zones on Priceline up to your max and let us know how it goes? Then, we could add some other zones in, if necessary, and/or start to look at the Hotwire properties. (Personally, I would not be thrilled with the Hotwire choices... but we could revisit that later, if necessary.)

If you are willing to consider Oceanside, that is a separate zone on Priceline and could be bid separately from any of the above.

thereuare, please feel free to add some thoughts!

By the way, the San Diego County Fair is on from June 10 to July 4, at Del Mar Fairgrounds. This may make the Del Mar zone harder to bid.

I included rates for the Courtyard Old Town to make sure there was availability at all and to see how high the current direct rate was. I'm not sure you'll be able to match your friend's bid...

I don't suppose you have any flexibility on your dates, do you? If you could go a couple of days later and avoid the weekend, you might find the deals a lot easier to find.

If you can go to $65, you might have a chance of getting the 2 1/2* Country Inn and Suites in Sorrento Mesa through Priceline- free breakfast and parking would be worth the extra $5/night over what you're willing to spend. They show a rate is $149 for your dates, which was the same retail price that was available when another poster reported their win at $65.

Good luck!

Guys - I really really appreciate all the suggestions that all you guys have been making. As Scorp, you have pointed out I will not try hotwire first, and rely on Priceline first. And as aldo has suggested maybe I will go in for Country Inn Suites in Sorrento Mesa (if I get lucky that is :) ). Do you think that the hotel is safe for a small family like mine (me, wife & infant) Another thing guys - what if I reduced my stay by one day in San Diego by one day, and spent it in nearby LA ? I have seen posts that state that stay in LA is relatively cheaper ? I am little disheartened by the high prices in SDiego :o - so here can be my new Check in and Check out dates for SD. Friday June 24th Check in, Sunday 26th June check out. The only reason I wanted to go to SD on these dates was because next weeked after this was the long weekend for 4th of July - when I thought hotels would definately be costly. I can't thank you guys enuff for helping with all your suggestions. Me and my family really appreciate all your thoughts & ideas :)

I think aldo makes an excellent suggestion, and since you don't have a lot of time between now and your travel dates, it makes sense to follow that kind of suggestion, if you want to get this settled. You will have an excellent chance to get a decent property at an inexpensive rate, and in one of your first choice locations. Why not try that first and then we can help you if it doesn't work out? After all, it is everything you said you wanted, how do we know it won't work for you, if you won't even try the strategy?

Dear administrator, can you also move my post to the Priceline forum ? :) It would seem more appropriate there...Thanks ! :)

thereuare says: others following along won't know to look there if we move it at this point.... keep this thread active and if priceline is ultimately used we'll move the thread there once a hotel is won

Sorrento Mesa is quiet and safe. Close to freeways, it's centrally located for visiting both North County and San Diego city. Just east of LaJolla, this area is newer, nice and clean. The Country Inn and Suites just acquired this property from Prime Hotels, where it was rated 3* on Priceline (it was a Wyndham prior to Prime, also rated 3*). With a little one myself, I prefer hotels that aren't resorts- too overwhelming for us. If you are fortunate enough to snag this place, you will be pleased.

While in the area, you may want to check out the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla: http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

RE: Driving towards LA from San Diego on a Sunday- yikes! You may save a few bucks, but the aggravation won't be worth it. Try to stay one place for all three nights, especially with an infant. You'll have a more relaxing vacation!

Aldo, I appreciate your advice so very much :) I would trust any other parents advice any day, in a similar situation. Your patience and support is really touching :) Yeah I will definately consider not driving to LA ...my little one gets very impatient on long drives anyway :) Thank you :o

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]