Mission Valley 3 $80.00

National City 3 $82.00

North County 3.5 $84.00

Point Loma 3 $86.00

Rancho Bernardo 3.5 $88.00

San Diego Coastal 4 $60.00

San Ysidro 2.5 $62.00

Sorrento 3 $64.00

I grew the target area to include Downtown (Gaslamp area) and hit all the San Diego zones with a 4* approach and bid from $65 to $81 and got no results.

To answer your question, I want my hotel to be free. I know that won't happen so my next response is AS LOW AS POSSIBLE!

A question for you - Is it LESS or MORE likely that inventory at lower rates will open up closer to my desired dates?

I guess my real MAX BET will be $95+taxes

I bid $94 on the iPhone app and didn't win for the 4* San Diego Coastal zone but I did get a re-bid opportunity at $116 (I didn't continue).

This is a great game!

Ore

A question for you - Is it LESS or MORE likely that inventory at lower rates will open up closer to my desired dates?

Nobody knows. It could go either way.

You got a $116 counter to your $94 in Coastal. Priceline's been known to accept just one dollar more than the offer. Since your limit's $95 I'd try $95.

Hotwire has a 4* in La Jolla for $125, which could be the same hotel. Or it could be a Priceline 3.5* since HW often rates the same hotel higher than PL.

If $95's not enough for a Priceline 4* in Downtown or Coastal it might be enough for 3.5*.

Good luck!

I just noticed this Priceline win earlier today where someone won your exact dates at the 4* Manchester Hyatt (Downtown zone) for $95. You might be $1 from a win Downtown then, if not in Coastal.

The other bidder started 3+ weeks in advance. Rejected $140 on 8/31. Accepted $95 on 9/19. In his/her case waiting paid off, but it doesn't always work out like that.

I just noticed in this Priceline thread earlier today someone won your exact dates at the 4* Manchester Hyatt (Downtown zone) for $95. You might be $1 from a win Downtown then, if not in Coastal.

The other bidder started 3+ weeks in advance. Rejected $140 on 8/31. Accepted $95 on 9/19. In his/her case waiting paid off, but it doesn't always work out like that.

Colfax, thanks for the help. I have previously stayed at that Hyatt and in my opinion, it isn't worth more than $70/nt. It's a large scale motelish kind of place. It is my only concern in bidding that zone as there are SO MANY rooms in that hotel...

Ore

I have previously stayed at that Hyatt and in my opinion, it isn't worth more than $70/nt.

As it appears likely (not certain, as the other user could have taken the last room at that price) $95 would win the Hyatt, and you have bid up to $94, i don't think you have too many options at the moment. You could ...

1) stick with 4* bidding up to $94/nite and hope that lower priced inventory becomes available (of course the Hyatt could lower their rate as well and you could still land that property)

2) lower your star rating to 3.5*, but would still need to keep bids under $95 to minimize the chances of an unwanted upgrade to the 4* level

3) look at HOTWIRE to see what is offered there. It may cost a little more than PRICELINE, but if you can reasonably be assured of avoiding the Hyatt, then it may be worthwhile

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

S*%t - It seems I may have received the crap end of the deal... what do you think????

$95/nt + taxes + parking @ Paradise Point Resort & Spa (San Diego Coastal) for 9/23 - 9/25.

I started at $85 and got this one at $95 three or four tries later.

This place has SUCH mixed reviews. Any pointers to getting a nice room?

Ore

Sorry to see you're somewhat disappointed in the results.

Best bet is to ask for a room upgrade at check-in (especially if you can research beforehand exactly what type of room you want... 'something with a view of (landmark)' or 'a corner room' typically works better then "hey, any upgrades available". You can also tell the front desk "it's a special occasion we're celebrating my birthday (or anniversary if traveling with significant other, etc) and were hoping for something really nice, are any upgrades available?" (but always ask within reason... don't ask for the penthouse 2BR suite (if there was one) on your $85/nite priceline win). If you're not happy with the room assigned you can try approaching the front desk again (sooner rather than later), "you know, i mentioned it was (my birthday, anniversary, etc) and we were hoping for something a little nicer then Room '353'... is anything else available?" (if the answer is no, then ask "what if i was willing to pay for an upgrade, is anything above the 'standard' room i've been assigned available"?... then you can accept or negotiate the upgrade if something is available)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay... hope it goes better then your concerns have you anticipating.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]