Priceline strategy ever backfire?

mark2000
By mark2000,
in

Has anyone ever had the Priceline strategy backfire of selecting areas without the * availability you were looking for, backfire?

For example, if you are looking for a Chicago downtown 4*, bid $75, and get rejected. Then you re-bid at $80, adding a suburb which only shows 2* hotels available.

Has this ever backfired, and suddenly something became available during the bidding process, where Priceline came back and ended up finding a 4* in the suburb anyway? (even though the availability search said the max in that area was 2*)

I guess it's possible what you describe--Priceline adds a new 4* at the exact moment your bid is being processed, and you win it; even though 4* option wasn't showing when you placed the bid. I haven't heard of it but it's possible.

Usually when people win a hotel in the "wrong zone"--a zone they thought was a rebid zone--it's because something changed and they didn't check * levels before bidding.

I bid on the wrong zone once, that got me a hotel way out of the center and not for a really good deal (just a few dollars cheaper then when using Priceline direct with this hotel). Later saw the hotel on another site cheaper and called Priceline. Got the difference back and $25 extra.

To ease the pain I discovered that the hotel has a free shuttle downtown and a very cheap shuttle to and from the airport. It's only for two nights, have to make due...

It didn't stop me from using: Priceline

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]