I am looking at 2 adults, 2 nights, aug 4-6

Berkeley/Emeryville

2* $73

Amenities: comp. break., pool, bus. center, h.s.internet, laundry

Trip advisor rating is 2.5

Hotwire rating is 90%!

Which one to trust?

Any idea which hotel this is also? Thanks

This property has not yet been reported to the board, but my guess would be the La Quinta Inn in Berkeley.

If correct, this property used to be the University Inn and it's possible that it received poor reviews under that name while the La Quinta has turned it around and received better reviews.

While less common, it could also be a situation of a hotel that discounts deeply... imagine a hotel which charges $200/nite but discounts opaque rooms as low as $50. The $200/nite (tripadvisor) customers may be disappointed and write negative reviews, where the $50/nite (HOTWIRE) customers may find it to be a good value at that price.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've had the same thing happen a few times...bought a hotel with high Hotwire approval rating but low rating on TripAdvisor.

A couple weeks ago I bought the Clarion Mansion Inn in Sacramento. It had 75% Hotwire approval rating, which is decent, but a 2.5 TripAdvisor rating...not good at all. I'd say TripAdvisor was probably closer to the truth.

As far as La Quinta Berkeley it looks like it might be the victim of a TripAdvisor smear campaign...even down to the bedbug report written by a one post wonder who registered, wrote the bedbug post, and never returned to TripAdvisor. Now La Quinta is rated #20 of 20 hotels in Berkeley on TripAdvisor. I've stayed at that LQ several times and while it's nothing special I can guarantee you it's far from the worst hotel in Berkeley.

For $73 though it's likely you can win a Priceline 3* in Berkeley-Emeryville zone, which will be better than LQ, although it could be a hotel in Emeryville, if that matters.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]