Hotwire Hotel: 2* San Diego (Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island) Good Nite Inn

MagicMover
By MagicMover,
in

Hello!

I understand that I may need to go thru HW to get the Paradise Point (PP) Resort in SAN.

There is a seminar, which I'm attending, that is happening at that resort and all the rooms on their own website for the dates 3 June thru 7 June, 2011 are blocked/sold out. Is this an omen that rooms for the Point are no longer available on HW or PL, either?

I'm from out of town, so I would like to stay at the PP, only, or very, very close to it (Coastal). It won't break my heart not to get the PP, but it would be more convenient since I don't plan on renting a car or a bicycle.

I am arriving to SAN on 1 June, 2011 and would like to stay until 8 June, 2011.

I'm willing to do to a solo night in order to "peak behind the curtain" and then extend the nights or, move-in and out of another hotel for the first two nights.

Again, I know those dates may be a long stretch and I don't mind staying at a different hotel the first two nights as long as I get to stay at the PP from 3 June thru 7 June. (hopefully, I know there are no guarantees when bidding)

My group attending the seminar is getting a fixed price of $165 with a special promo code at the PP, but I want to be able to stay there without having to pay "retail". :) I just want to look like I paid retail. hahaha!

Thank you in advance!

MagicMover

When I did a HOTWIRE search for my desired zip code 92109, it gave me the following results:

6/1-6/7 - No resorts. The highest was 3*. No availability at the resort's website, either.

6/1-6/3 - Resort available for $128/nt (with taxes and fees it averages out to $149.00. AND, the Paradise Point (PP) does show availability at their website for these dates. Their lowest rate is $178/nt

6/3-6/7 - No resorts. The highest 3* for $100/nt. And, PP does NOT show rooms available during these dates.

Questions:

1) Do you think that the resort showing available on 6/1-6/3 is the PP?

2) Do you think if I book it for the 6/1-6/3 that I can extend my stay, even though they are clearly not showing availability now on any website?

3) What do you think I should do next?

Thanks in advance,

Magic Mover

On Priceline Paradise Point is a 4* in the Coastal zone. On Hotwire Paradise Point is a 4* in Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island zone.

Your conference is 6/3-6/7 and Paradise Point shows sold out for those dates. Hotwire has a 4* in SW-MB-SI that looks like the Hilton San Diego Resort, NOT Paradise Point. If PP is sold out it's very unlikely you'd win it on a Priceline bid.

Drilling a little deeper into Paradise Point, it's only the first two nights 6/3 and 6/4 that are sold out. 6/5 and 6/6 are available at $303 per night.

I checked Hotwire for 6/5-6/7 to see if you could win those two nights anyhow and the 4* that's offered looks like Hyatt Regency Mission Bay; again NOT Paradise Point.

If you ONLY want to stay at Paradise Point I don't see a way other than paying the $165 convention rate. Given the $303 rack rate that's a pretty good discount already.

A money saving alternative to $165 convention rate would be to bid for a Priceline 3.5* or 3* in Coastal zone...under $100...and rent a car or get a ride to Paradise Point.

Just in case you don't know, when extending a bid one can only extend the number of days of the original bid. One can only extend before or after, not a day or so in both directions. And the extend may carry an entirely different (translation - higher) rate.

Romelle

Thank you, Colfax. I deeply appreciate you digging deeper for me. I'll obey what you said.

I don't think I commanded you to do anything. :)

Do you mean you intend to book the $165 convention rate at Paradise Point? Or you're going to look for less expensive elsewhere? Let us know if we can be of further help for the convention dates or the others.

Please let us know what you come up with in Coastal zone, MagicMover, or ask if you want a bidding strategy.

Thanks for the offer, Colfax. I need help with a bidding strategy. I noticed that there are no free-rebid zones in PL for 2.5* or 3* in the Coastal zone in San Diego.

Does that mean it's a one hit wonder and I should just make my highest and best offer the first and only time? Then, wait three days and make a higher offer in the same zone for the same star ratings. I only want to be in the coastal zone those days. Or, should I just go with HOTWIRE?

My desired dates are: 6/1/2011 thru 6/7/2011. I can spend up to $75.00 + taxes and fees per night.

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer, Colfax. I need help with a bidding strategy. I noticed that there are no free-rebid zones in PL for 2.5* or 3* in the Coastal zone in San Diego.
At the 3* level you do have ONE re-bid zone... none at the 2.5* level. Please confirm your ONE re-bid zone at the 3* level before bidding. Are you willing to pay more for a 3* vs. a 2.5* OR is your goal the least expensive 2.5* or better for this stay?
Then, wait three days and make a higher offer in the same zone for the same star ratings.
The lock-out period is now only 24 hours.
I only want to be in the coastal zone those days. Or, should I just go with HOTWIRE?
Which HOTWIRE zone(s) would be acceptable?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's one possibility on HOTWIRE for 6/1-6/8.

A 2.5* in Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island zone for $65 with 4/5 TripAdvisor rating, (so not a dump).

Cont Breakfast, Fitness, Pool, Business, Laundry, Internet

It hasn't been reported to the board before but I think it's Holiday Inn Express-Sea World on Jupiter Street. (There's a second HIE in the zone called HIE-Mission Bay.)

If it's not the HIE it's something else with a good report card.

Breakfast and parking free. Not far from Paradise Point.

You might win a 2.5* on Priceline for less than $65, and you probably can, but it could be at a hotel that's not as well reviewed as this one.

Here's one possibility on HOTWIRE for 6/1-6/8.

A 2.5* in Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island zone for $65 with 4/5 TripAdvisor rating, (so not a dump).

Cont Breakfast, Fitness, Pool, Business, Laundry, Internet

It hasn't been reported to the board before but I think it's probably Holiday Inn Express-Sea World on Jupiter Street. (There's a second HIE in the zone called HIE-Mission Bay.)

If it's not the HIE it's something else with a good report card.

Breakfast and parking free. Not far from Paradise Point.

You might win a 2.5* on Priceline for less than $65, and you probably can, but it could be at a hotel that's not as well reviewed as this one.

Thank you, Colfax. I see that HOTWIRE has a hotel in the same zip code, 92109, that's a 2* and it's not very well received by reviewers (45%) for $45.00 (or $46 and $48 depending on the bed that you reserve. Interesting). Would you know which motel/hotel this one may be?

I stayed in the Travel-lodge, ($109/for three nights including taxes and fees from Hotels.com) before, and although they aren't the BEST (compared to a spa/resort), the rooms are very comfy and a good value for the price.

Colfax, I'm not picky as long as it's a roof over my head. Besides, this is in the same San Diego zip code as the PP, so it can't be THAT bad. Correct?

Is this the 2* in Hotwire's Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island zone with icons: Bed Choice, Laundry, Internet? I see it for $41 now.

This hotel hasn't been reported before but with a 45% approval rating I don't think you should expect much. Practically every low rate motel chain (Super 8, Travelodge, Days Inn, etc) is represented in this zone and it could be any of them.

I stayed in the Travel-lodge, ($109/for three nights including taxes and fees from Hotels.com) before, and although they aren't the BEST (compared to a spa/resort), the rooms are very comfy and a good value for the price.

Are you talking about a Travelodge in San Diego or somewhere else? TL is a wildly inconsistent brand. Some are clean, safe, and well-managed and others are not.

If you're looking for the least expensive hotel available near Paradise Point this $41 might be it, though I expect it will be a significant drop in quality vs the $65 Holiday Inn Express mentioned above.

If you really want to gamble you could try bidding $35 for a 2* in Priceline's Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town zone (which overlaps HW's SW-MB-SI zone).

You could also purchase one or two nights of the $41 Hotwire hotel to see what it is. Then if you like the outcome purchase the rest.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchasese.

I did as you said, Colfax, and I used the PRICELINE link but I got this message:

2*, 2.5* and 3* are automatically selected and shaded in grey.

We're sorry, but we can't accept your offer of $35 for a hotel room in the San Diego, CA area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number ###-###-###-##.

Then, I added the San Diego (Coastal) zone and got this message:

We're sorry, but we can't accept your offer of $40 for a hotel room in the San Diego, CA area. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number ###-###-###-##.

What other free re-bid zone do you recommend, please?

Keep in mind that Priceline's transaction fee is usually a little higher than Hotwire's. If you're looking lowest total price check the grand totals after fees on both services, not just the bid price. Purchasing the Hotwire 2* at $41 will have lower total cost than a $40 bid accepted on Priceline.

Here are some options you can try:

1) Now that you're renting a car (is that true?) the Mission Valley area is in close range of Paradise Point. If you're willing to stay in that area I suggest bidding $28 for 2* in Priceline's Hotel Circle-Mission Valley West zone If rejected add Coastal at $30. If rejected add Point Loma-Shelter Island at $36.

2) Try for 1* in your favored zones. I'd try $26/1* in Mission Valley. Add Point Loma at $30. Add Coastal at $35. If you don't want Mission Valley area just start with $30/1* in Point Loma.

Good luck! Thanks for using the board's links.

Keep in mind that Priceline's transaction fee is usually a little higher than Hotwire's. If you're looking lowest total price check the grand totals after fees on both services, not just the bid price. Purchasing the Hotwire 2* at $41 will have lower total cost than a $40 bid accepted on Priceline.

Here are some options you can try:

1) Now that you're renting a car (is that true?) the Mission Valley area is in close range of Paradise Point. If you're willing to stay in that area I suggest bidding $28 for 2* in Priceline's Hotel Circle-Mission Valley West zone If rejected add Coastal at $30. If rejected add Point Loma-Shelter Island at $36.

2) Try for 1* in your favored zones. I'd try $26/1* in Mission Valley. Add Point Loma at $30. Add Coastal at $35. If you don't want Mission Valley area just start with $30/1* in Point Loma.

Good luck! Thanks for using the board's links.

Colfax,

I just got this email from my mentor:

Due to the large demand, Paradise Point has

sold out of rooms. Don't worry- we've negotiated

the same deal ($165/night) at the nearby, Dana Inn

resort. They will provide a complimentary shuttle to

and from Paradise Point for the event.

Please call San Diego Concierge 1-800-XXX-XXXX

or email XXX@XXXX to make

your reservations under this killer room rate deal.

If you have not booked a room here is your chance...

Make sure you tell them you are with the Group...

OK, so I'm back to square one (in a way) since I don't want to rent a car in San Diego and I would prefer to stay with the rest of my peers at the Dana Inn Resort. Since that's the case, then my budget could go up to $75 + fees and taxes.

Colfax, what would you do at this junction?

Thanks!

Colfax,

Where did my quick edit button go? I would have added this revision above but I couldn't. Does it only disappear when I use the "quote" functionality?

The name of the alternative hotel that I above-referenced is actually called, "The Dana on Mission Bay".

I called them and they are fully-booked outside the "blocked rooms" for my Group due to some marathon event going at the same time (1 June thru 7 June, 2011)....

*sigh*

I translate that to mean that neither PL nor HW will have this hotel in their surplus inventory. Correct?

Ok, OK. OK!

So, I wanted to pull the trigger, tonight, and this is what I did...I clicked on the PRICELINE link under your posts, Colfax. Then, I placed my highest possible bid on PL for San Diego Coastal for 4* at $75/night. Priceline made a counter-offer for $85/night and offered me to "bid again". I declined their "one-time offer" and chose Point Loma as a free re-bid zone and only increased my bid by 100 pennies, yes...$1.00. This is what PL awarded me:

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa And Marina

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $76.00

Subtotal: $76.00

Taxes & Fees: $17.62

Total Charges*: $93.62

The hotel's website is showing the lowest rate to be $165/night. So, I got a sweet deal. My question is....if I extend my nights, will you still get an affiliate commish?

I want to make sure that you are duly compensated for your time and efforts in helping me.

Nice job, MagicMover! Less than half price.

If Dana on Mission is sold out, no you probably wouldn't have won it with a 3.5* bid.

Logistically this works out well too since the Hyatt's practically next door to Dana on Mission. From the map it looks like you'll be able to walk over to Dana and catch the shuttle bus to Paradise Point. You were lucky, I'd say, in that you might have won a 4* at the La Jolla end of the zone and then there would have been transportation issues.

If you decide to use Add a Night please let us know how that goes.

Thanks for using the board's PRICELINE link to place your winning bid. Enjoy your stay.

I think you're going to enjoy the Hyatt more than that 1* for $26 in Mission Valley we were talking about before. :)

Nice job, MagicMover! Less than half price.

If Dana on Mission is sold out, no you probably wouldn't have won it with a 3.5* bid.

Logistically this works out well too since the Hyatt's practically next door to Dana on Mission. From the map it looks like you'll be able to walk over to Dana and catch the shuttle bus to Paradise Point. You were lucky, I'd say, in that you might have won a 4* at the La Jolla end of the zone and then there would have been transportation issues.

If you decide to use Add a Night please let us know how that goes.

Thanks for using the board's PRICELINE link to place your winning bid. Enjoy your stay.

I think you're going to enjoy the Hyatt more than that 1* for $26 in Mission Valley we were talking about before. :)

Colfax, I am not likely to stay at that hotel for more than one night. I just realized that they charge $20/night for motorcycles, too! I called them to confirm. :)

My friend is going to share the room with me and we were going to ride together on his motorcycle to the Paradise Point (best case scenario compared to me renting a car). He just needs to find a half-helmet that fits my skull size from one of his HOG pals, Pistol Pete.

So, tonight, I clicked on your PRICELINE link and I placed a bid for 2.5* in the Coastal zone at $35.00, that got rejected. So, I added Coronado since it's a free re-bid and increased my bid to $40.00 (yes, Colfax, I was feeling more generous at this point because I was nervous of another rejection). Well, like the law of attraction, I got that offer rejected, right away. I WAS going to add Del Mar - Rancho Santa Fe as a free re-bid, but now I'm even more nervous that I might be upgraded to a 3* with my $55.00 offer and be stuck in the Del Mar-Rancho Sante Fe area (whereever that may be in proximity to zip code 92109).

Now, I'm going to go with Hotwire and I'll let you know which mystery hotel is offering rooms in the zipcode 92109 for less than $40/night. I'll be back.

OK! I took one for the team. Make duly note of this hotel for the annals of betterbidding.com. Here goes:

Good Nite Inn Sea World

3880 Greenwood St.,

San Diego,CA,92110

Check-in

Wed, Jun 1, 2011, 2:00 PM

Check-out

Thu, Jun 2, 2011, 11:00 AM

PricePerNight:$38.00

Nights NoOfNights:1

NoOfRooms:1

Taxes: $10.98

SubTotal:$48.98

Trip total:$48.98

I googled-mapped it and even if I don't ride on the 'cycle, I can still take mass transit fairly easily. I'm stoked about it. When I checked their hotel website, I feel like PL probably didn't have this hotel in their inventory since I know I would've gotten it for less than $38/night SINCE their rack rate is $51/night. Oh, well! C'est La Vie.

BTW, when I also attempted to do a general search within the BetterBidding.com forum for the keywords, "Good Nite Inn"...I didn't find a single thread.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]