Priceline Hotel: Maui in April - 4* Resort or Hotel

HH2011
By HH2011,
in

Hi there,

I am brand new to Betterbidding.com and PL/HW. I was speaking to a friend about my wanting to go to Maui, and I decided to join after she told me about the great deal ($100/night) she got for a Resort Hotel (Marriott) in Wailea, Maui.

We would like to travel to Maui on April 16, and return 10 or 14 days later (we are flexible here and it depends on how good of a deal we get as to the number of nights we can stay - 10 for sure). We'd like to stay in Wailea or Ka'anapali, in a 4* or higher. We are interested in both Resort Hotels and regular hotels, but I'd like to know if any of the Resort Hotels have a kitchen, as we thought that would be a nice extra to have. We would like a hotel with a beach, and while the Marriott is nice my friend said it didn't have a beach directly in front. We'd like ocean view, nonsmoking. Is that possible via PL or HW ? We are prepared to pay $150 per night, but I'd really like to try for the same deal my friend got as then we could stay for the full 14 days. We may want to stay 2 nights in Hana during our 10 - 14 days, but not sure yet.

We would also like to rent a car. Can we do this here too ?

Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to using PL/HW and to a great vacation.

Regards, HH2011

Welcome to BetterBidding!

...I'd like to know if any of the Resort Hotels have a kitchen...
I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head, but even if there is such a 4*/Resort property, you won't be able to bid on it specifically when using PRICELINE... you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose.
We would like a hotel with a beach, and while the Marriott is nice my friend said it didn't have a beach directly in front. We'd like ocean view, nonsmoking. Is that possible via PL or HW ?
PRICELINE and HOTWIRE bookings are for 'standard' rooms, which means that an oceanview, no-smoking, and/or beachfront are not guaranteed. No solution for the oceanview room you're seeking, but you can use HOTWIRE and choose a selection showing the Beachfront and Smoke Free icon to ensure these requirements. Once the hotel is learned you can call the hotel and request an oceanview room, or request at check-in, but the hotel could say 'no' or want an additional fee for such a room (if the hotel says no it doesn't hurt to offer to pay an additional fee to secure this room type before your arrival.. the difference in cost per nite between their standard room and oceanview room is usually a fair price)
We would also like to rent a car. Can we do this here too ?
You can post in the Car Rental section of the board, but i'd suggest waiting until your dates are firm since we won't be able to offer much insight until we know the actual dates of your stay.

This is another thread I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire you may want to give a read when you have a chance.

Based upon the info above let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.

We'll take our chances then on oceanview room, etc, and will try to secure same once booked by calling the hotel.

We'll wait to book our car rental.

We would like to bid on a 4* resort or hotel in Wailea or Kaanapali, April 16 - 26.

Is our next step to start bidding ?

Thank you for your help.

Note above i mentioned that to secure Beachfront (or even Beach Access) and/or non-Smoke you would need to use HOTWIRE and purchase a hotel showing these amenity icons... are these wants more than needs and you still want to move forward with PRICELINE... OR are these 'must haves' and HOTWIRE is a better option for you for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

And can you also tell me, are there fees for using Priceline and bidding ? I saw in another post there are, for name your own price ? But I have read the newbie posts, and don't see any discussion of fees, so just wanted to know for sure.

HH2011

Yes, PRICELINE will add tax and fee to your bid. This is calculated on the bid amount. You can check this by making a "dummy" bid. Type in your information and just before the last step (don't hit the bid button) will you see tha total amount with tax and fee for your bid.

I hope this answer your question.

Yellowdog.

We would like to travel to Maui on April 16, and return 10 or 14 days later (we are flexible here and it depends on how good of a deal we get as to the number of nights we can stay - 10 for sure).
We'll start with a 14 day stay (4/16-4/30??) and then, if not successful, take it from there... for your to spend 14 nites, what is your maximum bid for 14 nites which would enable you to stay within your budget?
We'd like to stay in Wailea or Ka'anapali, in a 4* or higher. We are interested in both Resort Hotels and regular hotels...
Are you willing to pay more for a Resort vs. a 4* or is your goal the least expensive 4* or better for this stay?
These are wants more than needs. I'd like to try Priceline first, as I like the idea of getting a good deal, and it seems like I'd have a better chance of that on PL.
Both generally offer very good deals, but PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE. However, as noted above, HOTWIRE gives you the ability to know certain things about the hotel (beachfront, smoke free, etc) which may be worth paying a little more in order to know. If price is the sole criteria in determining how good of a deal something is, then PRICELINE is likely your better option.. but if getting some of the 'wants' you desire for this stay is worth paying a little more for, you can still get a good deal thru HOTWIRE (although it may cost a little more than PRICELINE)

Please let us know regarding the dates and maximum bid for a 14 nite stay, as well as if you're willing to pay more for a Resort vs. 4* and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Yes, I am willing to pay a bit more for a resort than a 4*.

Let's do 10 days, starting April 16, as I want to stay in Hana and in Huelo Point for a one or two nights each as well if we can, and we'll book those separately, unless we can bid here for that too.

I would like to pay $100 per night, but am willing to go up to $150 per night. I use this figure, as my friend used Priceline and scored the Marriott in Wailea for $100 per night. I'd love a good deal like that. If we have to go over $150 per night, then I will probably just go to the travel agent and get a package (if that ends up being cheaper).

I realize I can't bid on a specific hotel, and that Hotwire will give me a a slightly better idea of what I may be bidding on now, so thank you for the clarification.

Ok, so what strategy should I use - and thank you in advance for your assistance !

HH2011

At the Resort and 4* levels you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select Resort Kaanapali...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select Resort Wailea...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select Resort Kaanapali and Wailea...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Wailea...

Bid $100, if rejected add Kaanapali

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115

The above will likely be too low, but with time on your side you can try lowballing a bit and start here.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Hi guys,

I too am headed to Maui April 6-13 for a week. I'm still not too sure what's considered a good place to stay and what isn't. I've been told conflicting stories but I'm mostly wanting to stay at the Royal Laihana or Hotel Wailea so lets cross fingers and hope for the best on Priceline for me.

Any good bids won lately? Thanks.

JEMSTAR,

Yes, lots of good bids won lately, IMO. Probably the best thing for you to do first is just browse on down this Priceline-Hawaii area and see what others have recently posted as wins. Then when you have an idea as to star level and zone(s) you'd like, post back as a "New Topic" (right side of page). Your very own thread.

You do know you don't get to pick the specific hotel, but rather just the star level and zone? And then you get any hotel in the zone map area at your selected star level (or higher).

The very first post in this section is a listing of hotels other bidders have received. You might also like to visit the Hotel Reviews tab and see what some of the bidders have to say about their hotels. It might help you sort out those conflicting stories.

Romelle

JEMSTAR,

Please provide the information requested in our last reply in your Hotwire Vancouver YVR thread and note that the dates of your stay are different than the OP of this thread, if you'd like help with your own stay, please start a NEW TOPIC.

Thanks.

Just wanted to provide an update. And ask a question.

We are changing our travel dates as airfare is cheaper April 18 to April 29, flying from Vancouver to Maui.

If I bid via PRICELINE using Name Your Price, and we need to cancel or reschedule, is this possible ?

Also, if we bid on a vehicle in the same way, is it refundable or rescheduleable ?

And can I bid on a jeep specifically ? Using PL or HW ?

HH2011

All PRICELINE bookings are non-refundable but they have a trip cancellation/interruption insurance. But you need to read the fine print to see what this cover.

If you look at the rental car section on PRICELINE / HOTWIRE will you see all the car models they offer for your location.

I hope this answer your questions.

Yellowdog.

Hi guys,

I too am headed to Maui April 6-13 for a week. I'm still not too sure what's considered a good place to stay and what isn't. I've been told conflicting stories but I'm mostly wanting to stay at the Royal Laihana or Hotel Wailea so lets cross fingers and hope for the best on Priceline for me.

Any good bids won lately? Thanks.

The Laihana/Kaanapali side of Maui is more down-to-earth; walk into small shops from the sidewalks, far more less-expensive casual restaurants to choose from, more foot and car traffic, and generally a bit more gentrified.

The Wailea/Makena side of the island is bit quieter and a bit more upscale overall; There are a few good shopping centers, but there is no "Bourbon Street" "Bubba Gumps" sidewalk environment atmosphere to speak of. The area is less gentrified, less noisy and a little more quiet and exotic overall. If you are looking for "social/community energy" and nightlife, this is not the better side of the island for you. It's got more of a modern/upscale/suburbs vibe.

It's a healthy 45 minute drive between the two ends, so you should carefully think about what type of environment you are likely to appreciate more. You probably won't visit the opposite area more than once.

I personally prefer the Wailea side much much more, but a greater percentage of the masses who have been to Maui have probably been to the other side which is a little more economical on average.

You'll love it no matter which choice you make.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I wanted to provide an update. I've been monitoring the hotel / resorts and the prices that have been posted here for the Wailea area of Maui. The prices this year seem quite high, and the hotel / resort selection - at least for the wins that people have been posting, just doesn't seem to be very varied. Just because of the high prices, we decided to go for an all inclusive in Mexico this year instead. We got a great price for 2 weeks and are very excited. We'll try our luck for Maui next time we plan a vacation, as it is still on our list of places to visit. Prices just too high for the resorts / star rating we wanted this year.

Thank you to all for your help and support, and answers to my questions. I very much appreciated it, and I'll definitely use this site and the PRICELINE links in the future.

Regards,

HH2011

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]