PA Pittsburgh Airport Four Points Sheraton Barcelo

thesqueegeekid
By thesqueegeekid,
in

This hotel is rated 3* by PL and is well deserved. I booked this hotel because it was the cheapest 3* option (the airport zone offers this hotel or the airport Hyatt for $26). BUT next time, I would bid higher to be downtown (driving distance is about 20 minutes). Parking is free, there is no high speed internet access and the hotel has an outdoor pool. TV offers only 12 channels but includes HBO.

Room was very clean, modern and well lit. Rooms also have microwaves and fridges which I really enjoy.

• 2 years later...

I concur with this reviewers opinion. I have gotten the Four Points 3 times for my $35 bid.

It is a little harder to get in and out of. It was actually built as a luxury hotel, many years ago, right off the highway, but when the expanded the highway they cut off direct access. So now it's harder to access, you have to go through a business park. For those familiar with the area, it's not hard, but if you're not, pay attention to the directions you get, and you may want to call ahead to the hotel because I've seen "off the net" directions to this hotel that we're pretty bad.

It is a very nice hotel though, with a pleasant staff. There is no internet access that I know of though, and the pool is seasonal. It's a pretty quiet hotel, probably due to the fact it's never sold out. I've noticed a lot of "long term" type people staying there, out of towners working in the area on road projects and the like. I suspect it's location farther off the beaten path has caused it to be more of a budget Sheraton, thus snagging $35 bids on Priceline. I don't like getting this hotel mainly because there is no internet and the pool is seasonal.

The food is pretty good as well. Not cheap, not too expensive. It's a relaxing, cozy, comfortable and clean hotel though. It is very convenient to Robinson Town Center and all the shopping too, you can go right up over the hill without getting back onto the highway.

• 2 years later...

I don't get this hotel on PL or HW, but have stayed here free several times on points.

Its a lovely, clean place with all I could ever ask for....

Rooms are a good size and offer free internet, but the HVAC units in the rooms are LOUD!

Yes, its in the middle of nowhere, but the shuttle will gladly take you to Robinson if you want to go there.

Otherwise, Ive never had a problem here

• 2 years later...

We stayed at this hotel about a week ago on a $40 bid. (meaning I actually paid $53.40). A very good rate for this place. (I tried for $35 and didn' t get it, btw.) I agree with most of what the previous reviewers have said. It is a pretty good 3-star hotel.

Some people have said it is hard to find. Just get directions off of google or mapquest and you'll find it without much difficulty. I like the fact that it is in a semi-secluded area surrounded by trees.

Since the last reviews the hotel seems to have finally introduced free wireless internet (about time, since it' s the year 2010).

We enjoyed the outdoor pool since it's July and perfect weather for it. But an outdoor pool in Pittsburgh is utterly useless about 6 months out of the year. (What were they thinking when they built it?)

The rooms were good-sized and beds were comfy. Can' t say much about how many channels the TV had since I never watch TV. (The ads drive me bonkers and there is hardly ever anything good on anymore.)

This place seems to do a big business in conferences so the hotel lobby is a bit of an afterthought and is not that cozy or comfortable. There are some chairs there but but it feels like they only put in some seating because a hotel is supposed to have a lobby. Compare to Mariott Courtyard's newly re-designed lobbies and you'll see the difference.

This may not matter to some people but I like a nice lobby if you are not just spending overnight there. And if you're only staying overnight you may not need a 3-star hotel anyway.

As with practically all 3-star places, there is no complimentary breakfast. They do have a restaurant and they serve what appears to be a pretty good breakfast buffet for $8.49. Free coffee only in the morning in the lobby until 9am.

There is an excercise room but I didn't have the opportunity to try it out. It looked fairly complete.

Btw. I believe rooms no longer have rooms or fridges. It is an option costing, an additional $5 if I'm not mistaken. I don't fault them for doing that. 300 fridges in the rooms, switched on day and night with nothing in them eats up a lot of extra electricity.

The Robinson Town Center Mall is nearby (print out your directions! -- don' t get lost on the way like we did) with a Starbucks just outside the mall and several good chain restaurants. We found the Golden Corral and had an excellent buffet lunch.

I'd say the Sheraton Four Points is a decent 3-star with good rooms, which I'd recommend particularly in the summer months when the pool is open. You can definitely do worse. (See my review of The Atherton in State College, PA if you want to hear about the worst 3-star place I've stayed in.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am here right now and I have to say the hotel is a bit dated. There are a couple of stains on the carpet and the internet is incredibly slow. The room also had a smell to it but after turning on the air conditioning the smell was gone. Yes the pool is outside but I am only stayin here for 1 night for a stop over from driving all day.

We are going to try the buffet breakfast (family of 5) since the price is not too bad for a hotel. I have stayed at the Marriott near the Four Points and it is much better quality than this one.

The hotel is a bid secluded and it appears a lot of people use it for hitting the airport in the morning. The place was very quiet.

• 3 months later...

I stayed with this hotel Nov 3, 5-6, and 8. I generally agree with the prior reviewers so will just add a couple comments.

The shuttle service from the airport is very efficient - under 15 minutes for the run and they operate on the hour and 1/2 - each way. Not a bad idea to call from the call board at the airport and to make reservations from the hotel, as the drivers then make sure they have you. The pick-up point at the airport is "Door 8". The drivers were uniformly friendly and helpful.

A friend and I had one very nice supper in the restaurant. Food and service were very good. Prices quite reasonable for hotel dining rooms. A good assortment of beers and wines, too.

The halls needed vacuuming as they were a bit scruffy.

For the internet, it seemed one of the two computers was indeed slower than the other one, but both got the job done. A printer is attached so one can do those all-important boarding passes.

Very quiet place, which may not be for everyone, but I was certainly happy with it.

The heating system was a bit noisy.

The Pittsburgh airport is one of most well organized ones I've ever seen. Even to the point of having interesting art work to look at as you wend your way through those security lines. A clear obvious layout, well marked with signs. A fully equipped RiteAid drugstore even.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]