Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Secaucus-N. Bergen) Prime Hotel Suites

Jasmine
By Jasmine,
in

I was looking at the Hyatt on the Hudson for April 30 and May 1. When I search these nights individually, I get $225 and $226 respectively but when I search April 30-May 2 I get $209 per night. Is this normal?

The reason I was checking the difference is because I want to use PL to secure at least one night there (I don't think I can afford both given the recent price jump - for the other night I might have to try a 2*).

I think the price differences you're seeing are negligible and are within the confines of hotwire's business mode of HOTWIRE PRICES changing throughout the day.

Let us know if we can of additional help for your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE link for your searches and purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd like to get a room at the Hyatt on the Hudson for April 30-May 2. I entered a "low" bid of $65 just to test the waters (realizing if I was rejected I'd be locked out for 3 days as I don't want to go down to a 2.5*) and I got the following message:

We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we were not able to find a hotel that would accept your price for $65 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number XXX-XXX-XXX-XX. If you are willing to raise your price by $17, you can try the same request again right now.

I had read about this yesterday somewhere on this board and someone had said you don't actually need to add the full amount. But when I tried to increase the bid by only $5 I got this message:

Please verify the following information to continue with your request.

Please increase your price by at least $17.

So I guess the lowest possible bid for me right now is $82 or did I do something wrong?

If you're going to try to undercut the counter off you need to either:

1) change your check-in or check-out date

2) lower your star quality

3) add a zone

Not that easy to do when trying for a 3* in Jersey City (given that there are no re-bid zones).

(Please keep all attempts for this stay in this thread... we'll utimately move it to another section of the board if you don't end up having success with Priceline)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Has anyone won any stays at the Candlewood Suites lately? After browsing this forum and doing a search it doesn't seem like it. Given that it's a 2*, is it safe to assume it would be significantly cheaper than the Hyatt? I'd prefer to be at the Hyatt but if I can save $20 a night I'll deal with the inconvenience of the PATH being a bit further away. I checked the rates on Candlewood's site and a suite is $130 (compared to $250+ at the Hyatt). Hopefully the prices on PL are similarly structured.

Jasmine, this sometimes shows up on HOTWIRE as a 2.5* with the following amenities: Fitness Center, Kitchenette, High-Speed Internet Access, Laundry Facilities. I have stayed here and it is a fairly new hotel, maybe three or 4 years old, no breakfast, but each room has a refrigerator, microwave, 3 burner stove. Not as nice as the Hyatt, but I think it is nicer than the Doubletree Club hotel nearby. The rooms have only one bed (not sure if its a king or queen) so it is good for one or two, but that's it. You could stay here for awhile, its like a small studio apartment. HW shows this for $105 for your dates, so you might get it for less.

That's odd... I just bid $40 for a 2* in Jersey City through SB (with the idea that when/if it was rejected I could add a 3* and increase my bid). But when I got to the rejection page and scrolled down to add a different star level the only one not checked was a 1*. I specifically only checked the 2* when I first bid... why did they automatically select the 2.5* and 3* as well?

They let you LOWER quality to make a rebid; they always grey out the higher

star levels. You'll need to wait the full 72 hours if you don't want to lower quality or change dates or zones. Priceline will never give you a hotel BELOW your chosen level, but they can (and do) give rooms with HIGHER star levels if your bid amount matches the higher level hotel's PL rate. There's a screen "congratulations, you got your price of $xx and we've upgraded you". (Some

Priceline users are ungrateful enough to complain when upgraded, usually when they have their hearts set on one particular location.)

Good luck.

The star level you select is the minimum you are willing to accept, so if you select 2* or higher and then try to select 3* or higher, priceline sees this as a duplicate bid since all of the possible outcomes were included in your first bid.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

For those of you familiar with the area, how difficult is it to find parking by the PATH stations? I've printed off a guide so I know where the lots and garages are but I'm concered about the abundance of spots. I'll be there on a Saturday and Sunday so is it safe to assume there won't be many problems?

Also, in the event I'm not able to land a room in Jersey City within my price range, where would be the second best area to look in? I see Newark is on the line but I'd probably drive to a closer station so as to minimize the number of stops to Manhattan.

Thanks.

It's typically not easy... metered parking by most of them, however, given that you're there on the weekend there is one good option that i know of...

Just north of the Courtyard by Marriott (and north of the Pavonia/Newport PATH station) there is free onstreet parking from Friday 6pm until Monday 7am (i believe i have the hours correct). This free parking is directly across the street from the new Target.

How high have you aleady bid for the Jersey City area?

Great info - thanks!

I went as high as $68 for a 2* last night and still nothing. I'll have two more tries just for Jersey City before I'm desperate but I'm already thinking of trying lower bids for different areas. It's a tradeoff between cost and convenience - if I stay in J.C. I'll be paying more for the room and for parking at the hotel but have the PATH station within walking distance whereas if I stay somewhere else (Secaucus maybe?) I can probably get a room for less with free parking but I'll have to drive to a PATH station. All these options are driving me :)

Since I'm locked out of bidding on J.C. alone for another 48 hrs, I decided to give Secaucus a half-hearted, low-ball effort.

Secaucus 3* - $43 --> rejected

+ Jersey City - $48 --> rejected

------------

Secaucus 2.5* - $37 --> rejected

+ Jersey City - $45 --> rejected

Starting Monday I will increase my bids significantly and hopefully something can be had.

Oh no!! And I was just starting to think I got the hang of this. Doh. I can still bid for Jersey City alone for a 2* correct? (because I didn't go that low with Secaucus + J.C.).

I definitely will be asking for help with my strategy in 3 days - clearly I can't handle this on my own :)

Clearly by my earlier bidding mistakes, I need help! After today's bidding, I will only have one more attempt at it (on Thursday) before my stay so I don't want to risk screwing anything up. I'll list my parameters below - please tell me how I should go about bidding. Thanks in advance :)

In the Jersey City area, I am willing to pay as much as $75 a night for a 3* and up to $65 for a 2* or 2.5*.

In the Secaucus/North Bergen area, I am willing to pay up to $65 for a 3* and up to $55 for a 2.5*.

At this point, I don't have a preference as to which area or quality level I wind up with. Also I'm willing to split my bid and move from one hotel/area to a different one for the second night if that is necessary.

Are you also able/willing to bid the Meadowlands - Rutherford zone?

<checking map> I suppose it would be fine however it would definitely be second choice behind the other two and I'd only be willing to go up as high as maybe $50 since I'd have the inconvenience of driving to a PATH station and would need to pay for parking there ($25 at Hoboken).

I know patience is a virtue but I got antsy and went ahead and took another stab at a bidding strategy. It was as follows:

Jersey City (3*) - $65 --> rejected

-----

Jersey City (2.5*) - $50 --> rejected

+ Jersey City (2*) - $55 --> rejected

-----

Secaucus/North Bergen (3*) - $55 --> accepted.

Wait what? <rubbing eyes>. Yes - actually accepted! It's the Prime Hotel Suites Secaucus.

Your Offer Price: $55.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $110.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $23.83

Total Charges: $133.83

Thanks everyone for all your help on this. Time to go read up on this hotel as it's the one that I didn't check up on before bidding. Hope it has free parking and relatively easy access to Manhattan. :)

Should I be worried? I just went to the hotel site and tried to make a reservation for my weekend (just to see what the regular rates are) and it said there isn't anything available. I really hope they aren't double booking!

Also, thereuare, since you know a lot about the area, would you recommend I take the bus into the city (supposedly the stop is right across the street) or drive to a PATH station? I'm looking for the quickest way to Manhattan (and I don't expect to be out past midnight so that's not a concern). Thanks again.

Glad to see your success... i wouldn't worry about the hotel being otherwise booked. If there is a problem there are LOTS of hotels nearby (Embassy Suites and the Sheraton are nice ones). As well, i just searched and saw rates of $119 and $129 for your dates respectivley.

Personally i would take the bus just so i wouldn't have to think about driving (as i don't enjoy driving too much)... only time i would make alternate plans would be if i was heading in during the heart of rush hour, although you would still hit some traffic in your own car, taking the PATH would allow you to avoid some of the traffic actually going into the tunnel.

I think the bus is #320 and you can get the schedule here: NJ TRANSIT BUS SCHEDULES and see how that fits in with your own plans.

You may also be interested in the Hoboken Arts and Music Festival on Sunday which is a good time if the weather is nice, but get there early if you want a chance at parking :) You can read about it here: HOBOKEN ARTS and MUSIC FESTIVAL. (the #85 bus will take you to Hoboken as well if you choose to stop at the festival before heading into the city on Sunday)

Jasmine, I just got primesuites as well on priceline. Can you post a review here after you get back? I'd really appreciate it :)

From the review I read on tripadvisor and yahoo travel, this is a decent hotel. Parking is free, but no complimentary breakfast, unlike the amerisuites in the area.

I'm planning on taking the 320 bus, it's only $2.60 one way, 20-30 minutes to manhattan, and saves a lot of trouble driving and finding parking.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]