Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

jdmss
By jdmss,
in

We bid and got the Hyatt Regency for April 1 and 2 for $48... it was a split bid, we stayed the first 3 days at Beekman Hotel.... to make a long story short, we were packing up to leave Sunday morning when our daughter called us at the Hyatt and told us American Airlines had to cancel one of our trips back to Canada, due to weather so after talking to the airlines... we had no other choice but to stay another night either where we were or in Dallas.... in a panic I went down to the front desk and explained our story... they sympathized with us but the best rate they could come up with was $249.00 ..... the airlines thought they could help us with another night but wouldnt guarantee it.... so I desperately asked the the fellow at registration "was there a internet I could use?" and he pointed to one I could use right beside the registration desk and the gift shop. I immediately got on and used PriceLine, (through SB) not really knowing what to bid successfully, I took a wild guess and bid $75 and to my surprise and my husbands, it was accepted !!!, I printed off the confirmation and ran back to the registration desk to show the clerk.... he just looked at it and laughed and said "good for you!!" I just had to share my story........ wont know if the airlines will reimburse us fully but it isnt as painful as the $249.00!!!

Yes, that's what I typically do. You can bid the same day by 6pm. In this area, there are only 4 hotels of Priceline. i.e. Hyatt (3*), Doubletree(3*), Courtyard by Marriott(2.5*) and Candlewood Suites(2*), so if anyone running into similar situation, one can bid 3*, then 2.5* then 2*, have 3 chances. In the good old days, Hyatt's lowest is always $37, but now seem to be around $46, unless there is no room. So, you can checked out the Hyatt website first. In any case, $75 bid in the area is almost always got some good ones ....

A story i'm sure you'll re-tell many times!

Glad it came thru for your at the last minute, hopefully once the room was taken care of you were able to enjoy your impromptu extended vacation. Good thing the airlines called you beforehand, partly because you were able to get in before the 6pm deadline, and partly because the Jersey City area is better than any of the areas around the NYC airport hotels.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

and I just love a good story of a last minute win!!! :) I often duck into a hotel lobby that offers no hassle WiFi to do my same day bidding on my laptop. Alas, my Blackberry cannot handle Javascript and I am unable to make my bids using the Blackberry Browser function. Also, I had no idea that the 2* in JC was the Candlewood!! :o All along, I thought it might be one of the hotels on Tonnele Ave! :)

Very true. In fact, that's what I have been doing. Here is my two cents. You would drive toward your destination without making advance reservation, e.g. heading Orlando FL [because you did not know the weather and how long would take you and kids at the nice museums on the way... etc] Then, with your GPS and PDA loaded software bluetoothing with your GPS receiver your map would be able to show you the hotels along the road. Now, ignore most but a few like Courtyard [or Kinkos as I used before], you can land on a Courtyard for a rest by 6pm, and bid on the hotel for the night. As a rule of thumb, $50 for 3*, $40 for 2.5* and $30 for 2* seemed to always got something pretty good ...

If you want better room, don't check in too early. You would be surprised that they give you two room suites or upgrade 14 feet ceiling room or suite.

Btw, Candlewood Suites, although 2*, at Jersey City, is no worse than Hyatt, depends on your purpose. e.g. parking is free vs $15 self park and $30 valet at Hyatt. It even right next to NY Waterway ferry that is a good way to Manhattan during sunny day [except winter...], while stay here, you can still have a nice dinner at Vue Restaurant of Hyatt with gorgerous Manhattan view before walking back your suite. The board walk is nice that you can walk all the way up to another Ferry where Courtyard (2.5*) is.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]