Airfare through PriceLine

rpf54
By rpf54,
in

Please help me! I'm trying to salvage a Disney trip I've been trying to plan for several weeks for my 9 y. o. son and myself. I started cost research 6 weeks ago so I could add it all up to see if I could afford it. I got prices for airfare, rooms on & off Disney, WDW tickets, etc, - everything. Once I figured which things to choose so I could afford the whole trip, I began buying them one by one as I could afford them. My son & I have never flown. You can probably guess what has happened. The airfare was the most expensive one-time expenditure, so I saved it til last. Monday,when I returned to the Delta.com site to buy my 2 tickets for $210, I found that they are now almost $300 EACH! Is there some strategy I can use at Priceline to try and get tickets for about the same money? I have already bid a number of times; each time the bid was rejected I changed my return date moving it out farther and farther, but never changing my bid per ticket amount which is $55(nets out at $198 when fees & taxes are added). I also have not selected any other changes: more connections, non-jet, etc. Should I? Would that increase my chances? Should I wait to the last day to bid? Our reservations at Disney are for April 6-10. I've researched car rental & bus fare options but I really want to salvage the "1st fight" for my boy if I can. Is there somewhere else to look besides Priceline? Any suggestion will be appreciated! Thanks.

Robert

I definitely wouldn't wait until the last day to bid. Are there any other airports you can go out of?

I had to look up the distance, and it looks a little too far to drive in one day - at least with only one driver.

I would definitely choose the non-jet option if you are wanting to have a successful bid from Pensacola. Are there any other airports nearby that you would also consider?

Do keep in mind the possibility of a nasty routing that would eat up a lot of vacation time. If you possibly can, I would spring for the tickets where you know the times.

I think nearby airports may be your best option.

HOTWIRE not lets you choose 'time windows' and i would sooner take that over a completely opaque purchase for the reasons pointed out by WillTravel above.

You can also use our AIRFARE CHECKER to quickly check multiple nearby airports.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Mobile and Ft. Walton Beach are 50 miles way in opposite directions but then I have to pay to park. I fear clicking the "non-jet" option will send us through Memphis, ATL or Charlotte and waste time as you cautioned. We could leave on Tuesday and we only have 3 day WDW tickets so Wed was going to be a "wash" anyway. I said all that to say I guess we have a little flexibility on our departure date. If all else fails we can endure the Greyhound I suppose. We plan to ride home on Amtrak, the other half of my son's adventure. It leaves Orlando at 1:45 Sunday. I travelled by train alot as a child and loved it. So I'm bidding on RT tickets even though we're only going one-way. Besides you can't bid on one-way at Priceline. The bottom line for me is airfare for $220 or less! But I'm still open to your best advice. thanks for all the replies!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]