CA San Francisco Le Meridien USE

zbenye
By zbenye,
in

A true 4* quality hotel. Compared to this one, the 4* Hyatt Regency definitely does not deserve more than 3*.

I identified myself to the front desk clerk who said I was assigned a non-smoking room with 2 beds. But then I presented my Diamond card and the room assignment immediately changed to a king on the 19th floor, facing north, with amazing views of the pyramid, the bay as far as the San Rafael bridge, and Russian Hill.

The room is spacious, well appointed and well kept. The large bathroom has every amenity expected at this level (which the Regency does not!), including bath robes. Lacking is a coffee maker. I'm sure I could get one for the asking.

Also offered here (and missing at the Regency) is turndown service in the evening.

I received the usual Diamond amenities - coupons (specially printed with my name) for free continental breakfasts for two, and the welcome hors d'

I forgot to ask for no connecting doors, and as always when that happens I could hear the TV and people next door.
This is one of my big hotel pet peeves!!! GRRRR!!! I hate connecting doors, they are rarely soundproofed adequately and you end up sharing your room with strangers.

I am wondering how often you are successful requesting a room with no connecting doors on your Priceline stays???

I am wondering how often you are successful requesting a room with no connecting doors on your Priceline stays???

My requests are always honored at Hyatt. The Diamond card (highest elite tier) probably helps, but I truly believe this one brand treats Priceline customers with absolutely no prejudice.

• 2 years later...

No mention of Hotwire at check-in, just prepaid booking. Got adjoining rooms as requested but no balcony. Concierge was helpful. Plenty places to eat nearby and really don't need to go down to the street to go to Embarcadero, just need to walk through park grill and across the walkway (for Tony Romas and Gaylord India to name two). We used taxis to get around mostly as there were four of us. Staff were helpful and a good stay at the rate of $122 + taxes per night. Happy with this hotel and would recommend it for someone wishing to stay away from the touristy area of Fishermans Wharf. I would recommend a trip across the bay to Sausilito either in the ferry or bike across and then take the ferry back with the bike.

• 1 year later...

We just returned from a 2-night stay.

To alleviate any confusion, this hotel was originally a Park Hyatt property, however purchased by Le Meridien (Starwood) sometime in 2006. All previous reviews are when the hotel was owned by Hyatt.

We enjoyed several Priceline/Hotwire/retail stays at this hotel while carrying the Park Hyatt flag. Rooms are very spacious, floor-to-ceiling windows, wonderful bathrooms and comfortable beds. Very nice CD players with good sound quality. As to the rooms, absolutely nothing has changed since the hotel was rebranded to Le Meridien. Same furnishings as before.

What we did notice in terms of changes between Park Hyatt & Le Meridien was an overall downgrade of services offered. The hotel restaurant, the Park Grill, now only serves breakfast & lunch. When it was owned/operated by Hyatt it was open for dinner as well. The restaurant is spacious and quiet, boasts 300 different wines, however is closed for dinner! If you wish to have have dinner in this hotel, it will have to be by way of room service or eating in the lobby bar. Also, a cozy cocktail lounge with piano adjacent to the Park Grill restaurant appears to be permanently closed. We also remember evening turn down service with towels, etc replenished when the hotel was the Park Hyatt. Today, unfortunately, no such amenities under Le Meridien.

We'll always be happy to obtain this hotel on either Priceline or Hotwire in the future, simply for the high quality rooms and we like the location. However, it just doesn't have the "wow" factor it once had as a Park Hyatt property. Because of the limited restaurant hours and reduction to just the one cocktail bar in the lobby, you come away with the feeling the hotel is underutilized.

Stayed at Le Meridien the same dates as BEAV. In fact we had a drink together at the lobby bar. The room was quite adequate...comfortable bed, couch, excellent tv. The bath shampoos, soaps, etc. were not replenished . The fitness center looks quite nice. Had some minor maintenance problems in the bathroom, but didn't impact the stay. The front desk/concierge did not sell the 3 day Passport for Muni, so we head over to the Omni and talked to Vada at the front desk and she made us promise to book with them next time and she would sell us one. No problem. Booked via Hotwire for Labor Day weekend. My wife likes to be spoiled and the Omni fits the bill better than the Le Meridien. However, we would not have a problem with this property considering we paid $88/nite versus web rate of $319. It's actually closer to Tadich Grill than the Omni, and just walking distance to North Beach.

• 4 years later...

Completed a 3-night stay here in August 2011. The hotel is very nice, definitely worthy of 4* in my opinion, and we enjoyed our stay.

I can't comment on the amenities very much, but the room and bathroom were quite luxurious and clean. The finishes are classy. Very nice floor-to-ceiling windows in the room. Wireless internet costs like $12/day or so, which is somewhat annoying. We didn't have a car but I assume parking is astronomical, but that's par for the course in a downtown area such as SF's Financial District.

There is a bar & lounge in the lobby and a restaurant on the 3rd floor. All the staff I interacted with were helpful and friendly, except for one bad experience with a very rude woman on the phone when I called to request a king sized bed (we booked by bidding on Priceline) a few days beforehand. She immediately realized that my reservation was through Priceline and began to explain very impatiently to me how Priceline works (I'm well aware of how it works, thank you). She seemed legitimately irritated that I should have the audacity to request a king sized bed as a Priceline customer. However, upon actual arrival at the hotel, no mention of Priceline was made by any of the staff and we weren't treated with anything but courtesy.

One word of caution: the area around this hotel (Financial District on Priceline) is primarily a business area, which means that it is mostly deserted on the weekends. We had trouble finding a bakery or coffee shop to have breakfast at and had to settle for Starbuck's. During the week there are many more options open and more people around. For tourists, Union Square and the Ferry building are certainly walkable from here, but Fisherman's Wharf is probably not. The Embarcadero Center is across the street but again, it was pretty much a ghost town on Saturday and Sunday. However, there are plentiful transit options near the hotel (BART, Muni Metro, cable car, street car).

• 1 month later...

We stayed here in March 2011. Saturday and Sunday nights. Bid $95 per night on PL. Our first stay in San Francisco. We had visited briefly a few times but never really explored the city so we weren't sure of the neighborhood. I saw on the PL map that it was near the water and Embarcadero, and I knew there was a cable car running parallel to the water so I gave it a shot. I believe we got a good rate because it is the Financial District and it was the weekend so the business travelers aren't driving up demand. We could not have been happier! Several reasons, for my wife and I the quiet neighborhood during the weekend was a bonus. We have 3 young kids and a weekend away in a beautiful city with quiet is fantastic! There is a Starbucks right across the street and the waterfront was only 2 short blocks away. We easily walked to the Alcatraz tour dock and Fisherman's Wharf (we hike and enjoy the outdoors so it seemed easy to us). Our room was well appointed and definitely 4*. We were on a lower floor, but not too low. We had a view of a courtyard/alley so that wasn't spectacular, but for the price we paid I was not complaining. Our second night the front desk very kindly directed me to a Safeway only a few blocks away where I had a quiet, safe evening walk for some Ben & Jerry's for my wife and I. We weren't there for shopping, but for a nice weekend away and it fit bill perfectly. The daily fee for internet is frustrating but seems to be typical for higher-end hotels. We weren't there for business so I didn't bother. Also parking is steep, but we took a shuttle from the airport and walked while we were there, so again, not an issue for us. We're heading back to SF in the Spring of '12 and I will be on PL looking for a 4* hotel in the Financial District and will be very happy if we get the Le Meridien again (and this time I'll be clicking the PRICELINE link from this forum!).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]