Priceline Hotel: better to book sooner or later

trb
By trb,
in

I think that for some areas in the US, you are correct that you can get a better deal bidding closer to your travel dates. But I don't necessarily think this holds true for the higher end hotels in Hawaii.

I successfully bid on the Sheraton in Maui and the Hyatt in Waikiki in around May for our trip in August. Based on my review of this website and the successful bidding history of hotels in Hawaii, I do not think I would have saved much, if anything, if I waited to bid now. This is because the specific hotels I chose to bid on are in high demand. While they may not sell out frequently, they do have a pretty constant flow and they will only go so low at certain times of the year. I think that for most hotels on Maui, the price won't fluctuate much. For hotels on Oahu in Waikiki, there is a slightly better chance to get a better rate closer to your travel date if you are willing to bend and take a lower star rated hotel (not a 4 star or resort) because there are a few more available. It also will vary based on if you are traveling in peak season.

Right now, I know for a fact that I can book a couple of the Aqua chain's 3* properties (as well as some of their 2* properties) on their direct website (using their 60 day advanced purchase, non-refundable rates) for dates in November at rates that are lower than I can get them for on Priceline or Hotwire - and once the PL or HW fees are considered, it's even more significant.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, our parents will be traveling the same dates as us (October 6-9). It would be ideal if they could get the same hotel, but we not that's possible, but no guarantees.

We won the Waikiki Hyatt Regency Resort for $119 per night. I think I'll try bidding tonight using $119 Waikiki beach area resort, and see what happens.

Better than even chance you'll pull the Sheraton Waikiki or the Marriott. They are both a block away from the Hyatt, so that's not too bad a problem, however - but one thing I'd add is that you might be over-bidding for a Waikiki beach resort. Bidding as high as $119 might increase your chances of getting the Hyatt, but you could still just as easily get the Marriott or the Sheraton at that price - when those places have a good chance of coming your way for bids in the $95-110 range. If it were me, I'd start at $90 and work my way up to $119 over the course of several bids and maybe over the course of several days.

When this happens, you should use your free re-bids (adding zones that don't have any 4* or resort properties) and bump the bid slightly - for example, add airport and up the bid to $107, then add Diamond Head, and up the bid to $110, then add Exec Center, and up the bid to $115).

I am betting that one of the above bids would be successful. And if not, then you could bid $119 the next day.

If you're not familiar with re-bidding please see this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

What is your maximum bid for this stay?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding/purchases.

Good luck on the next round of bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]