Priceline Hotel: 4* SFO assistance/question

dodgerfan379
By dodgerfan379,
in

Hello everyone. First and foremost, this is a great resource I am glad I found. You guys do great work here.

Now for my question. I have been unsuccessfully trying to win a priceline bid on 3 rooms, 4* hotel in SFO area (burlingame preferably), but have been unsuccessful. My bids have gone as high as $95. I am wondering if the fact i am trying to win three rooms might have something to do wit hit? Or maybe it might be the days I am selecting nov 14-16, 2008, since there is a USC vs. Stanford football game and USC usually travels pretty well? Any suggestions on my approach?

I want to stay in this area, but only if it is under my max bid of $95. Would you suggest I wait and try closer to the dates? Or do you think the hotels might be overpriced for that weekend?

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Welcome to BetterBidding, dodgerfan379.

The Hyatt and Sheraton are the two known 4* in SFO zone. (And both are still rated 4* after Priceline's large scale ratings revision a few days ago.) What are the Hyatt and Sheraton rates on Nov 14 and Nov 15? From those rates someone can offer an opinion whether you're bidding too early or too low.

Those rates aren't high at all and I agree with GM Mike, that you're bidding too early.

Based on the Sheraton's $101 rate I don't think I'd bid higher than about $65 for a few weeks, unless rates shoot up. If your $95 bid had been accepted you would have ended up paying MORE than $101/night once you add Priceline fee.

Hotwire doesn't have any 4* at the Airport now, so I don't think Priceline does either. Hotwire has a 3.5* in Airport South for $74 though or a 3.5* in Airport North for $79. Please use this HOTWIRE link if you purchase one of those.

Or you could bid for a 4* or 3.5* in San Mateo zone on Priceline. San Mateo's right next to SFO zone, the hotels have an airport shuttle, and they're a little closer to Stanford.

Thanks for all the info.

GM Mike, the reason why i chose that zone is because I knew which two hotels PRICELINE offered in the 4* range. Also, it is in the middle of all the activities we want to enjoy during our stay. I too have been keeping track of hotwires inventory and prices. That is actually what got me worried. I noticed the 4* in Burlingame was no longer available and began to worry.

Coolfax, thanks for pointing out my blunder. I was neglecting to add the PRICELINE fees into my estimate.

I will take your advice and book something cancelable and try again in a couple of weeks. When i do, i will make sure to use the links from your site.

Again, thanks for your advice and info.

For your back-up reservation use our BetterChecker to assist your hotel direct rate search. (Quickbook and GTA Hotels are two other good sources for refudnable back-ups)

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your travel purchases.

Keep us updated.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]