Priceline Hotel: Need to book a hotel near Universal Studios, CA

tornado
By tornado,
in

We are looking to book at 3 or 3.5 star hotel near Universal Studios (CA) in June. I saw that there is a option of selecting BURBANK-UNIVERSAL CITY-GLENDALE which could either get you a hotel very close to Universal Studios (such as Holiday Inn Universal Studios, Beverly Garland) or a hotel that is not so close and in Burbank or Glendale (such as the Holiday Inn Burbank or the Hilton Glendale). So, it is either a hit-or-miss to whether you will get a hotel very close to Universal Studios.

In that case, it looks like Los Angeles (Hollywood) is a safer bet because at least the hotels will be within a couple of miles from Universal Studios. That is what I got from my research.

Any suggestions and tips would be very much appreciated on what is the best strategy.

Any suggestions and tips would be very much appreciated on what is the best strategy.

Do you mean for bidding or zone? It sounds like you have decided to go for the Hollywood zone?

Also, HOTWIRE can be good for you. If you're trying to target a specific property then HOTWIRE can often be a better option if you're successfully able to identify it based upon the star rating and amenities shown before your purchase... the trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, so you need to decide what is most important to you for a given stay, the lowest possible price OR the ability to take an educated guess as to the property you may receive.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

In that case, it looks like Los Angeles (Hollywood) is a safer bet because at least the hotels will be within a couple of miles from Universal Studios. That is what I got from my research.

If you bid for a 4* or 3* in Hollywood zone you'll be able to take Metro to Universal Studios, whichever hotel you win.

Burbank-Universal-Glendale is a large sprawling zone and while you might win a hotel within B-U-G zone that's closer to Universal than Hollywood is, but you could also win a hotel in B-U-G that's farther than Hollywood and doesn't have Metro access.

But Hollywood hotels tend to be more expensive than B-U-G hotels on PRICELINE, so there are tradeoffs.

And at the 3.5* and 3* levels in Hollywood there's only one known hotel---the Hollywood Heights. Does that hotel interest you?

If Hollywood Heights doesn't appeal then I'd suggest bidding in B-U-G and driving to Universal. Someone can suggest a strategy for either option if you want.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

p.s. to moderators: Can this thread be moved to LA section?

We go to L.A. about once a month to go to Universal Studios. I have found that staying in a 4* in dowtown LA is a good thing. You get a nice hotel and you can take the metro for 20 minutes to get to Universal Studios. It lets you off right at UNiversal and then you hop on their tram to go up the hill to the entrance. Then on the way back, if you want get off in Hollywood for awhile and then just hop back on the metro and go to your hotel. If we are getting back to Downtown late (after 12am), I sometimes go all the way to Union Station and pay the $10 for a taxi to get us safely to our hotel. If you bid around $80 downtown you can usually get the omni and they have a car, that will pick you up at the metro station if it isn;t after 11pm.

I have never stayed any closer to Universal, but it always works for me and my teenage daughter. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :) :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]