Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) Donatello Hotel

Colfax
By Colfax,
in

This was my first time at the Donatello and to my surprise I liked it a lot---the room, the hotel, the service, the location. Everything was good.

$50 for 3* in USW only failed. $60 accepted.

Donatello was $102 online. Hotel is at corner of Post and Mason, one block west of Union Square, and across from the JW Marriott hotel.

Parking $28/night, valet only, on premises. This is an easy hotel to navigate with car. There's an offstreet unloading area with front desk and elevators just a few steps away. Highspeed internet is free.

I arrived early, like 12:30 pm, and only smoking rooms were available. The sixth floor is the smoking floor. They told me I could have a smoking room now or wait for a nonsmoking to be cleaned. I asked if I could look at the smoking room and they gave me a key. I couldn't smell smoke at all and I kept the room, which had a king-sized bed and a large pullout sofa. This was one of the largest hotel rooms I've had in SF. With the pullout it could have accomodated four people nicely.

Decor is kind of 1960's retro---made me think of Jetsons, Pink Panther, etc. Very different look from 1914 era Chancellor Hotel the night before. The carpet and upholstery showing some wear but that doesn't bother me. Overall a colorful and upbeat place. The contemporary look wasn't what I expected from Donatello's drab exterior---gray concrete, from the ouside it looks like a bank or insurance office building.

Room had three large picture windows, like 10 feet tall, and two of them opened to let in lots of fresh air and light.

Room had a walkin closet and built in shelves with an entertainment center---flat panel TV and DVD player, plus stereo. Fridge, microwave, and minibar stocked with glasses and corkscrew but no liquor or snacks.

Live jazz in the evening at Zingari's on Mezzanine level.

Donatello has a Club Level open to all guests. The gym and jacuzzi is up there, plus separate men's and women's saunas. There's also a rooftop deck with downtown views in three directions. It's a fresh air deck--not glassed or walled in like at many hotels--and you can bring drinks to the roof from the bar downstairs. There are also lounge chairs for rooftop sunbathing.

Overall an excellent hotel stay for the price. I'll try to get the Donatello again.

Bids placed through the BetterBidding PRICELINE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]