Priceline Hotel: The Standard (downtown)

aoigirl
By aoigirl,
in

I've done a search, but has anyone tried the Standard (downtown) (or can give me some tips?)

I'm after downtown hotels but not in dodgy areas.... and given hostel 'private' rooms are about $60 + tax I figured maybe I could try a hotel.

I need to drive just prob one of the days, so parking probably isn't a huge issue (I can always just taxi it right?). - eg one of the days I want to go to the Getty, but there isn't much point driving there to pay $15 for parking to hang there all day if I can get the Metro...

(btw I'm from downunder, so I'd be driving 'on the opposite side'... together with the traffic not sure if I can handle it...)

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding, aoigirl.

What are your travel dates?

The Standard's never been reported won on Priceline so I don't think that's a likely outcome.

Most nights you can win a 3.5* hotel in Downtown zone in the $50's or $60's. None of the known hotels at 3.5* level would be considered in a "dodgy area". If you want a 3.5* strategy let us know your bidding limit and dates and someone will provide.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases.

Dates are June 1 - June 5 (so the 'sleeping' part is actually just the weekdays).

I now realised I might have to drive - I want to stay in a place interesting enough (i.e. not near LAX, or further out) that I can walk around but at the same time doesn't cost a bomb to park - any ideas on location?

I want to stay in a place interesting enough (i.e. not near LAX, or further out) that I can walk around but at the same time doesn't cost a bomb to park - any ideas on location?
Since your trip's not til June you've got time to research the neighborhood options and decide which you'd like best. If you don't find the info you need here check TripAdvisor forums too.

Downtown and Hollywood are probably most walkable, but hotels in those zones charge for parking. Could be $5-40+, depending on hotel. Sometimes there are cheaper lots near the hotel, but not free. Are you prepared to pay for parking?

You mentioned Standard (trendy, hot) so maybe you'll be interested in the new Hollywood W? It's been a popular PRICELINE win at $119 lately. Not every night but some nights. And parking extra.

Do you have something like W in mind? Or less than $119?

I was thinking about the W, but i think it's probably a bit pricey if I have to pay for parking.... the standard was $100US approx on Expedia (it said $111 AUD) - so I was hoping that on PRICELINE they were offering less!

Thanks for suggesting timing. I thought I'd have to get it arranged ASAP, not sure if it's a high period since it's after the Memorial Day weekend.

the standard was $100US approx on Expedia (it said $111 AUD) - so I was hoping that on priceline they were offering less!
I'm seeing the Standard for $129.50 USD on Orbitz, Expedia, and Travelocity. Other board members might know some Orbitz coupon codes that will bring the price down further.

I think you can win a nice 3.5* hotel Downtown for much less than $129.50, maybe even half that price, but it probably won't be the Standard and some of the likelier possibilities include more business oriented hotels like the Marriott.

It comes down to how much of a premium you're willing to pay to get the trendy, boutiquey atmosphere you want. (And if Standard's best rate is $129 now, not $100, you might be able to get the W for that price.)

not sure if it's a high period since it's after the Memorial Day weekend.
I don't think your travel dates should be a concern. Rates aren't particularly high.
  • 2 months later...

I ended up staying at the Standard but on my credit card points - not sure what it came up to.

Parking wise - the car park right next to the standard (2nd entrance) has $10 overnight parking and $7 weekend parking. It's the same parking lot as the valet! there's a tip for you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]