Priceline Hotel: Looking for 4* in D.C. for early May 2010

pmenon
By pmenon,
in

Hey everyone,

Will be in Washington D.C. from May 2-5, 2010, inclusive, and am looking for a place to say. I have never been to D.C. before, but from a quick analysis of the maps, as well as public transport, it appears that the city is quite well covered.

I'd like to spend around $100 per night, preferably at a 4* hotel. I'm willing to stay more or less anywhere, as long as a metro is close by. Having said that, Im not sure if some areas are better than others, so recommendations and advice are welcome.

I will also be flying into and out from Reagan National airport, so that's something else to keep in mind.

Thanks in advance !

DC is always 'hit or miss'... there is always always some type of event, rally, or political meeting taking place. The question only becomes how big of an event it is and if it will effect hotel rates.

Check your best deal available thru conventional booking channels, then determine your maximum bid... from there we will determine a starting point and suggest a bidding strategy.

Also, with your zone preferences above, you mention "in this order"... are you willing to pay more to be in your first zone than your second zone, and more to be in your second zone vs. your third zone, etc, etc... OR is your goal the least expensive 4* in any of the acceptable zones?

Lastly, since you also included Arlington as one of your acceptable zones, are you sure that a hotel anywhere within this zone will get you close enough to a metro stop? (i don't know the answer to this, but usually as you move out of the 'city limits' the chances of being close to a metro stop generally decreases)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think the maximum I would like to go to, in terms of bid amount, is $130. I would definitely be willing to pay this amount for the DuPont area, and less so for Arlington. With respect to Arlington, if I go by the Hotel list on this site, there are three 4* hotels. I would definitely prefer the Palomar, but I think I would be OK with the other two as well.

Having said all that, in each of those areas, I would try and get the least expensive 4* .... and will even be willing to consider 3.5*, since they look quite decent.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Dupont and Arlington and White House...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Capitol Hill...

Select 4* Dupont and Arlington and White House and Capitol Hill...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hmm, I think I might have messed up my bids :)

I used the PRICELINE link from the site, and proceeded to start the Name Your Price process. I started off by selecting the Dupont and Arlington zones, and started off with $90, as suggested. The bid was rejected. Here's where I get confused: what should I select now ? I interpreted a rebid zone as another Priceline zone, so I upped my bid to $95, and included the Capitol Hill zone in. Was that the right thing to do ?

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct now! :)

We could revise the above to bid again immediately, but as you have plenty of time, just wait 24 hours since your last bid and start the strategy above from the beginning.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your bidding.

Are you willing to pay more to stay in "Washington DC proper" vs. Arlington OR is price still the most important aspect of this stay and looking for the least expensive 4* or better in any of these four zones.

Tough question. Upon doing some further research, out of the potential three 4*'s that I could end up with in Arlington, I wouldn't mind staying at 2 of them .. its the third one Im not sure about. That's why I sort of shifted my zone priorities around.

I would be willing to pay a little more to stay in D.C. proper, though.

I'm uncertain as to your thoughts about Arlington at the moment, so not 100% sure how to advise, but the follwoing was my first thought when you had posted earlier... it bids "DC proper" first up to $110, then tries Arlington for up to that amount... then tries for the least expensive out of any of the zones.

Select 4* Dupont and Capitol Hill and White House...

Select 4* Arlington...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Not sure how this fits with your current thinking, but you can follow the above or provide us with more info and we'll revise accordingly.

Thanks ! I followed the above, and even upped my max bid to $145, without having any luck at all for my dates. Quite strange; I was really hoping that I would be able to wind up with a good hotel at that rate, given the prices that Ive seen some bids win at. It might be time to downgrade to a 3.5* ...

Have you checked hotel direct rates for these dates... at the moment i don't think $100 is realistic for a 4* hotel for these dates in the zones you've mentioned above.
Check your best deal available thru conventional booking channels, then determine your maximum bid... from there we will determine a starting point and suggest a bidding strategy.

What was the best deal you were able to find thru conventional booking channels?

I assume convential refers to methods via normal Priceline/Travelocity/Expedia booking, as well as through the hotel website ? If so, this is what I've found, arranged by star rating:

4*

The Liason at $329/night via Priceline

The Hyatt Arlington at $211/night via Priceline

The Westin Grand at $420/night via Priceline

The Dupont DC at $315/night via Priceline (I would LOVE to get this hotel)

The Westin Arlington Gateway at $313/night via Priceline

The Willard Intercontinental at $450/night via Priceline

The Sofitel at $363/night via Priceline

J.W. Marriot at $469/night via Priceline

Hotel Palomar at Arlington at $338/night via Priceline

I haven't started looking into the 3.5* star hotels as of yet, still holding out ! :)

So other than the Hyatt Arlington, your bids are well under half of prevailing rates. As well, when rates show very strong demand for a given set of dates, it can often become harder to get such a large percentage discount. Although there is more margin for the hotels to discount, they are less likely to do so given the strong demand for rooms... they would prefer to hang on to inventory in hopes of selling it themselves at full price. So when rates are very strong (which the rates above suggest) they may offer very little discount, or no inventory at all, to the opaque suppliers.

I'm not suggesting that there are no hotels in the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE system, but i think your budget isn't realistic given the prices above (except perhaps for Arlington, given the lower rates there and it being outside of "dc proper") I assume you did include Arlington in your bidding when you increased your bid to $145?

You do have a bit of time so you can wait it out and try again in a few days to see if rates have improved, but i'd also try to find a refundable back-up plan in case rates continue to move even higher. Any thoughts on SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID or lowering your star rating?

Based upon the above, what are your current thoughts?

Yeah, it is looking highly unlikely at this time that Im going to get anything, even around the $150 mark, if I insist on a 4*. I'm definitely willing to consider a 3.5* now, in the same zones as indicated earlier. Would rather try this first before trying to split up the stay. How should I frame my bidding now ?

Bonus: I just found out that I'll be able to crash at a friend's place for the first 3 nights (May 1, 2 and 3) !! That works out perfectly, as it now means that I only have to budget for a hotel for 2 nights, instead of the original 5.

Translation: I'm able to go up on my bids for 4* ! Would a maximum of $200 make sense ?

These are still very difficult dates but you can try the following revised strategy given your new $200 bidding limit:

Select 4* Dupont and Capitol Hill...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Arlington and White House...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Dupont and White House...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Arlington and Capitol Hill...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Dupont and White House and Capitol Hill...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Dupont and White House and Arlington...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]