Help - So Mad

retrolady
By retrolady,
in

I bid on a 2 1/2 star hotel in zone 2 thru priceline, it was the only 2 1/2 star hotel in that zone and I really wanted that hotel as it was within walking distance of my destination. I bid $30 and only bid zone 2, no other zone as my 1st bid. Yhis bid was rejected, but it said for $8 more I could bid again. So I bid $38 but I noticed now it had both 2 1/2 stars and the 3 star button checked and it would not let me uncheck the 3 star button. so I hit submit, and it upgraded me to a 3 star hotel which has poor reviews. So I'm out the $50.27 total and afraid to try again. What did I do wrong? Should I just pay full price to get the one I want? I did use the links here.

thanks

The good news is that you didn't do anything wrong. The bad news is that you got "upgraded" after accepting the counteroffer.

This is one of the bigger complaints with Priceline. You can be upgraded from any level to any higher level.

I won't advise you what to do with your reservation but I will share a story with you.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen in January. He bid on a 2.5* hotel for us in the Buffalo, NY Airport zone. We were trying to avoid the 3* level because there's one particular 3* hotel that has very mixed reviews. About half of them say that this is the worst place ever in the history of the world and the other half say that it's pretty good. There are very few middle-of-the-road reviews. Of course, he got "upgraded" to the hotel we wanted to avoid. Does this sound familiar so far? Anyway, we decided that since we were literally only going to be there for about 6-8 hours because we were catching a very early flight, we were going to tough it out. Lo and behold, we ended up with one of the good rooms. It was very nice and clean and even had a balcony to an atrium. All this for a $34 bid.

There have been two other similar instances over the years that I recall and both times, the hotels in question were fine although I was worried beforehand. I'm sure that others on this board have had the same experience a number of times too.

So, depending how bad those reviews are (and how many of them there are), you might consider keeping the reservation and hope for the best. If you do decide to go, be pleasant with the person at the desk. They have the ability to give you a good room or a bad room. Don't give them a reason to give you a bad one.

Good luck with whatever you do!

From Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Thanks! :)

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the details of the hotel you received...

Star rating, city, zone, hotel name, winning bid price, and dates of your stay.

We'll then be able to comment further on your situation above. Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Dear gman, thank you for your help and advice! Some are only interested in profits of this board, but you actually helped. Thank you.

First off, thanks for using the links on the board, but your assertion could not be further from the truth!

You don't get it....this board is about sharing information to help other members seeking similar accomodations. Moderators are willing to help out but you have to give to get.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]