Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Airport EWR) Gateway Hilton

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

Just making a quick trip down to do some mornign work in Jersey City. Phew... never thought I'd bid so many times to get this. Started out hoping to get the Jersey City Hyatt Regency at $37 and then went through a series of additional bids by adding extra zones for 3 * and even bumping my bid up as high as $52. No success after four bids. Now I started droppign my price and adding lower * quality levels accordingly. I ended up going as low as $30 for a 1* (it's a one night trip with a late arrival and early departure - I really just need a bed to crash in). Still no success.

I finally tried starting a new bid at $45 in the Meadowlands area. I was fairly certain that this combiantion had already been tried and was baffled that they let me start a new bid but so be it. No luck but I went to $50 and got the Hilton.

I've seen the property - it's a decent hotel only - about five years old or newer and has good lighting and security for the parking area but it's in a fairly desolate and depressing area on Rte 21 (McCarter Highway). An aiport hotel it is not but they must get away with it having a free shuttle.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note to add comments on the experience...

This happens to be the Hilton that is directly across from Penn Station in Newark.

Surprisingly, the hotel had automatically assigned me a SMOKING room! They changed it to a non-smoking room at my request when I arrived although they stuck me in a room right next to the elevator (turned out not to be an issue but in some properties that's a very noisy location). It's worth mentioning that the hotel was not busy - I'm sure smoking rooms had been available when I was given the initial room assignment.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]