Priceline Hotel: 2* Monterey Vagabond Inn

shlimak
By shlimak,
in

i bid 69 $ on 3.5 * hotel in monterey CA for one night - 8.30.10

i ended up getting a 2 * hotel!

interesting thing that happened is after i submit my offer the result didnt show immediately.....

they gave me a screen that said your order is being process you will get a answer in the next 15 minutes....

i guess something went wrong while submiting my bid.

need your help ASAP

THANKS

Based on your last comments I am not 100% sure you know how Priceline works. A "zone" is a geographic area, as opposed to star level which denotes the quality of the hotel. It's possible to bid one zone but for different star levels. Therefore, the fact that you bid for one zone doesn't in any way make it "obvious" that you didn't bid multiple star levels. The two have nothing to do with each other.

If you do understand how it works, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Is it possible that you accidentally checked the 2* box when you were bidding, though you didn't mean to do so?

interesting thing that happened is after i submit my offer the result didnt show immediately..... they gave me a screen that said your order is being process you will get a answer in the next 15 minutes....i guess something went wrong while submiting my bid.

That 15 minute message appears when Priceline's servers are busy. It doesn't indicate that anything was wrong with your bid. You were just bidding at a busy time.

I've been in your situation myself a couple times, shlimak, when I've won a hotel in a zone where I didn't think I'd bid. Once when it happened Priceline let me cancel and rebid in the correct zone for $25/night. The other time they wouldn't let me rebid, even for $25, and I ended up writing off the reservation because I couldn't use it.

Almost always when this happens it's due to user error. Probably I accidentally checked the wrong zone. Probably you accidentally checked the 2* box. But it's also possible that you or I were right, and Priceline's computer made an error. I don't want to say Priceline's computers are infallibly correct 100% of the time.

But unless you captured a screen shot of your bid page, something that people rarely do, you don't really have proof that you didn't bid 2* and Priceline isn't giving you the benefit of the doubt. I hope this wasn't your first time using Priceline, as this is really something that happens very rarely.

If Priceline won't refund your only alternatives, unfortunately, are to stay at the Vagabond or write it off and bid again for something else. Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

:)

In the past it's worked like this:

You have to bid again for your original intention: same date, same zone, but a higher quality hotel. After you get a bid accepted Priceline will refund your original Vagabond purchase, minus a $25/night fee. You'll end up losing $50 on Vagabond ($25 x 2) instead of $138 ($69 x 2).

Note that PRICELINE won't issue the refund until AFTER you get another bid accepted.

As rules are always changing and I haven't seen your email message from Priceline my susggestion is that you call their 1-800 customer service number and ask the agent to explain the process to you (in case the process has changed since the last time I used it).

Also if you decide to bid again for a 3.5* in Monterey and you want a PRICELINE bidding strategy let us know.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
In the past it's worked like this:

You have to bid again for your original intention: same date, same zone, but a higher quality hotel. After you get a bid accepted Priceline will refund your original Vagabond purchase, minus a $25/night fee. You'll end up losing $50 on Vagabond ($25 x 2) instead of $138 ($69 x 2).

Note that PRICELINE won't issue the refund until AFTER you get another bid accepted.

As rules are always changing and I haven't seen your email message from Priceline my susggestion is that you call their 1-800 customer service number and ask the agent to explain the process to you (in case the process has changed since the last time I used it).

Also if you decide to bid again for a 3.5* in Monterey and you want a PRICELINE bidding strategy let us know.

Good luck!

can i bid on another zone or just the specific zone that i won?

thanks

What does the instructions email you got from Priceline say?

You can post a copy of the email here if you want help interpreting it.

i got 2 emails from them

the 1st:

Dear Mr. Shlimak,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your hotel reservation at the

Vagabond Inn Monterey booked under Request Number XXXXXXX.

We are writing to let you know that we have received your email in our

Executive Offices. As we understand, you are requesting to change or

cancel this reservation due to you requested a 3.5 star hotel and

received a 2 star property.

After review of this issue we show that when this request was placed the

2 star option was selected and for this reason a 2 star hotel was

provided. For your reference, a copy of your contract page has been sent

in a separate e-mail.

Usually with Name Your Own Price hotels we are unable to cancel;

however, we can make an exception to our cancel policy and we can cancel

your reservation; however, you will be charged a one night cancel fee.

The cancel fee is based on the offer price you named plus applicable

taxes and fees when you submitted your request. If you successfully book

a new reservation on our website with the correct star level, the

cancellation fee will be refunded minus a flat $25 change fee.

If you have further questions or would like to take the cancel with

resubmit options, please contact us directly at: 1-866-966-7186. The

Executive Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday

through Saturday.

Please note that the number provided above is a United States phone

number, and you may incur toll charges when calling from outside the

United States or Canada.

We are sorry we did not provide you the answers you were looking for and

we thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Bryan Barrick

Executive Offices

the 2nd:

the 2nd:

Dear Mr. Shlimak,

Thank you for contacting us back regarding your hotel reservation at the

Vagabond Inn Monterey booked under Request Number XXXXXXXX.

You are correct. If you choose to take the cancel with resubmit option

we will cancel the reservation minus a $84.95 cancellation fee. You

would then rebook for the corrected star level and respond back to use

with the accepted request number. With that new request number we will

then process a refund for the $84.95 minus a flat $25.00 for a total

refund of $59.95.

If you would like for us to start the process by canceling your

reservation minus the above listed fee please reply back to this email

to confirm your request. At that time once cancelled you will be able to

go back online and attempt to place a new request for a 3.5 star level

hotel.

We thank you for the opportunity to assist you and hope you find this

information helpful.

Sincerely,

Bryan Barrick

Executive Offices

"If you would like for us to start the process by canceling your

hotel."

So this would be what you would have to do - email them to request to cancel the original reservation minus the fee, then try again.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

"If you would like for us to start the process by canceling your

hotel."

So this would be what you would have to do - email them to request to cancel the original reservation minus the fee, then try again.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

but if i win 3 or 4 star hotel they will refund me?

From the email above:

" You are correct. If you choose to take the cancel with resubmit option

we will cancel the reservation minus a $84.95 cancellation fee. You

would then rebook for the corrected star level and respond back to use

with the accepted request number. With that new request number we will

then process a refund for the $84.95 minus a flat $25.00 for a total

refund of $59.95. "

can i bid on another zone or just the specific zone that i won?

To get the maximum refund you'll have to bid for and get a bid accepted for a 3.5* in Monterey zone. You can't bid in a different zone.

As for the emails from Priceline, this is how I interpret them:

The $84.95 cancellation fee that Priceline mentions is probably the total of your $69 bid plus tax and fee, right?

Cancelling your $84.95 reservation for an $84.95 cancellation fee means you get nothing back. That's what will happen unless you get a 3.5* bid accepted in Monterey. Then you'll get back $84.95-$25.00=$59.95. AFTER you get a 3.5* bid accepted, not before.

Have you decided you might want to stay in another area now?

To get the maximum refund you'll have to bid for and get a bid accepted for a 3.5* in Monterey zone. You can't bid in a different zone.

As for the emails from Priceline, this is how I interpret them:

The $84.95 cancellation fee that Priceline mentions is probably the total of your $69 bid plus tax and fee, right?

Cancelling your $84.95 reservation for an $84.95 cancellation fee means you get nothing back. That's what will happen unless you get a 3.5* bid accepted in Monterey. Then you'll get back $84.95-$25.00=$59.95. AFTER you get a 3.5* bid accepted, not before.

Have you decided you might want to stay in another area now?

i tried bidding on a 3.5 * level in the same zone .

bid till 90$ with no success so far.....

90$ seems to be expensive for a 3.5 * level hotel , dont you think?

im thinking of bidding on a 4 * level on the same zone.

will i get the refund if ill win 4 * level hotel?

If a 4* had been available for $90 or less your 3.5* bid would have been upgraded.

If your 3.5* bid gets upgraded to 4* you'll still get the refund. You just can't bid lower than your original intent.

Monterey is an expensive area, and it's pretty normal to need a higher bid than $90 in summertime. Hotwire has a 4* in Monterey for $139 and a 3.5* in Monterey, also $139.

Priceline usually beats Hotwire on price. I think you need to bid higher than $90 to get a 3.5* or 4*, maybe $100 or $110. You'll need to wait 24 hours to try again but if you want a bidding strategy let us know your bidding limit and someone will suggest. (I"ll be away from the board a few days, but others will respond.)

If a 4* had been available for $90 or less your 3.5* bid would have been upgraded.

If your 3.5* bid gets upgraded to 4* you'll still get the refund. You just can't bid lower than your original intent.

Monterey is an expensive area, and it's pretty normal to need a higher bid than $90 in summertime. Hotwire has a 4* in Monterey for $139 and a 3.5* in Monterey, also $139.

Priceline usually beats Hotwire on price. I think you need to bid higher than $90 to get a 3.5* or 4*, maybe $100 or $110. You'll need to wait 24 hours to try again but if you want a bidding strategy let us know your bidding limit and someone will suggest. (I"ll be away from the board a few days, but others will respond.)

so you are saying that if i win a 4 * hotel on the same date and on the same zone as the original winning bid they wont refund me?

even that 4 * is higher then the original intent(3.5 *)?

i tried bidding on a 4 * level hotel up to 105$ with no success......its seems expensive dont you think?

should i wait a few weeks and the prices will drop down? what do you suggest me to do ?i still have a lot of time till 30 of August.

thanks!

they just respond to my email:

my email:

hi Bryan ,

the original winning bid is 2 * level hotel.

can I bid on any higher star level than the original winning bid in order to

get the refund?

thanks

their respond:

Dear Mr. Shlimak,

Thank you for contacting us back regarding your hotel reservation at the

Vagabond Inn Monterey booked under Request Number XXXXXXXXXXX.

Yes you can bid on a higher star level on your new request. We show that

was the reason for your request to cancel was due to a 2 star was to

low. You may proceed to book a new reservation with a higher star

rating.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you!

Sincerely,

Bryan Barrick

Executive Offices

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]