Priceline Hotel: No success for Ocean City $15 1* 4/28

TCR
By TCR,
in

:) Hello to the group. I noticed on the pinned list that no hotels are listed for Ocean City. Has anyone successfully used Priceline for this city? I recently tried the following scenario:

Offered a $15 bid for a 2*...bid rejected.

Then offered $15 for a 1*...bid rejected.

Dates are for 4/28 through 4/30.

I realize that these are very low bids, but I'm leering of bidding more without some feel of what kind of property I might end up with (Priceline doesn't offer any 3* properties here, although there are many in the area). I've been shopping for a hotel there and am leaning towards the Howard Johnson Plaza, Quality Inn Oceanfront, or one of a couple Holiday Inns. I prefer an oceanfront, but for $15 dollars I wouldn't care if I'm a couple of blocks or so from the water! :-)

Does anybody on this site have any experience with Priceline and Ocean City?

Craig

Unfortunately, Priceline has proven to be of no use for Ocean City (or Rehoboth). I've never once seen a single winning bid reported. You can book the Howard Johnsons Plaza through hojo.com though for $67, or the the HoJo Express, also directly on the beach, for $35.

Lastly, there are minimum bid amounts for each star level on Priceline. For a 2*, the minimum bid is $17, so anything lower than that is going to be a losing proposition from the get go.

Well, tried it again, having my wife bid. Still no luck.

First bid was for a 2* at $30 and it was rejected.

Next I allowed for a 1* at $25...it too was rejected.

Dates were the same....4/28 through 4/30.

I'm leaning towards going ahead and booking the Holiday Inn Oceanfront. It will come to $257 for the two nights...not too bad for an oceanfront room with balcony and right on the beach. It is also north of the boardwalk, so we will be away from the noise and (hopefully) can some quiet time on the beach. (The Howard Johnson is tempting though (about $20 to $50 less for the two nights), but their reservation descriptions are so vague (efficiency room, comfortable room, standard room ,etc.) it's hard to tell what kind of room I'm booking! Guess I'll just have to call them.

Craig

• 2 months later...

Just an update for the group, we ended up booking the Dunes Manor Hotel ourselves for the two nights. I was able to get a rate of $89 per night and they appear to be a pretty nice place. We also decided at the last minute to extend our vacation by two nights, so I booked the last to nights at a place called the "Seabonay Motel" via Hotwire. (This has been posted to the Hotwire forum and added to the confirmed hotel lists). I've never heard of them before, so I'll let the group know how it pans out.

TCR

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]