Priceline Hotel: 3.5* San Diego (Del Mar-Rancho Santa Fe) Hilton Del Mar

switters
By switters,
in

I'd like to start bidding on a 3.5* hotel in Del Mar, CA. My dates are May 14th - 16th. There are two hotels that fit that description: one is the Hilton ($127 lowest rate), the other is the Marriott ($139 lowest rate).. From researching these forums and elsewhere it seems folks get the Hilton more frequently, but I'd be okay with either one and I understand that's how it works.

I've seen that a few people on this forum have gotten rates between $55 - $60 for the Hilton. They were bidding much closer to their travel dates, though. I'm wondering if it's better to wait until closer to my travel dates before I start bidding? Am I more likely to get a better price that way? Seems like hotels wouldn't want to give a great deal so far in advance in case they get reservations at a higher price, but as the time approaches they'd be willing to go lower just to fill the rooms. Is that how it works?

I could just use some tips on strategy. I have several re-bid zones available to me, including El Cajon/Santee, Escondido, Kearny Mesa, La Mesa, Miramar, National City, Point Loma, San Ysidro, Sorrento Mesa.

I'll make sure to use the PRICELINE links from this site.

Thanks!

Seems like hotels wouldn't want to give a great deal so far in advance in case they get reservations at a higher price, but as the time approaches they'd be willing to go lower just to fill the rooms. Is that how it works?

This is one scenario, but another is...

The hotel feels that with 2 months before your stay they should be 50% booked... but they're currently only 30% booked, so they may make rooms available to the opaque suppliers at deep discounts to get closer to the 50% level they feel they should be with 2 months to go, and bidders today can benefit from these good deals.

Time passes and with a month to go the hotel should be 80% booked and is fortunate enough that they're at 90% occupancy... they therefore decide to not offer any inventory to the discount supplies (or discount much less than they did earlier)

Bottomline: "Know" what a good price is and begin to bid once your plans are firm... making sure you don't overbid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

How much is this in terms of bid price? (ie- per nite before fees and taxes)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Taxes seem to be in the neighborhood of $25, so that would be a max bid price of $85 per night. Seems like that should be easy since I've seen the 3.5* go for $55 regularly on this forum, but when I tried bidding about a week ago (including rebids) I got up to $69 without any luck.

If Hilton's $127 and and Marriott's $139 (I haven't verified) then I wouldn't bid higher than about $70 this far ahead. If you don't get accepted at $70 now then I think you're bidding too early.

When bidding for 3.5* in San Diego you've got NINE rebid zones, which are zones that ONLY have hotels less than 3.5* quality. If you need help determining your rebid zones please ask.

I suggest $45 for a 3.5* in Del Mar. Then add rebid zones, one at a time, bumping your bid up $2 or $3 with each, until you reach $70 (or higher if you choose).

Please start with the PRICELINE link.

Colfax,

I believe these are my rebid zones: El Cajon/Santee, Escondido, Kearny Mesa, La Mesa, Miramar, National City, Point Loma, San Ysidro, Sorrento Mesa. That adds up to 9, so I think we're on the same page.

Re: re-bidding. What's the best way to go about doing that? The last time I tried I was hitting the back button after being declined to get back to the original bid screen. But that often didn't work. I would get a message that said something like "we're still processing your request". For some reason it wasn't recognizing my new bid with the new city combination. I have access to both Mac and PC, so please let me know what browser/OS combo you use and exactly how you go about re-bidding (i.e. do you use the "back" button once your bid is declined, or do you click on the "hotels" tab and start over?)

Thans again for your help. Much appreciated.

You have your NINE re-bid zones correct, so you can bid as follows:

Select 3.5* Del Mar...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73

I'd start with the above and we'll take it from there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If/when your bid is rejected you'll receive a message that they can't accept your bid, but to try again add another zone (or change your dates, lower your star rating, etc)

Lower down the page are all the zones in the region, so you add a re-bid zone (in this instance a zone which only contains hotels rated lower than 3 stars) and resume your bidding.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck.

Colfax knows this area pretty well...

If you don't get accepted at $70 now then I think you're bidding too early.

I would be patient and continue bidding twice a week at this point in time... or do you prefer to simply "get this done" want to try bidding up to your limit? If you're concerned about rates moving higher you can book a cancellable back-up.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE links for your bidding.

Maybe I'm bidding too early. Or perhaps there's some event in the Del Mar area around that time? Is there an easy way to find that out?

Del Mar rates don't suggest high demand for your dates.

Marriott $139

Hilton $126

Doubletree $114

Courtyard $119

I'd book a cancellable reservation and keep trying for a couple weeks. I predict success at $70 or less if you're patient.

I don't see anything tempting on HOTWIRE right now.

Are you interested in trying for a Del Mar 3* in the $40's-60's? The Doubletree and Courtyard are the known 3*'s. Something new could come up too.

Thanks Colfax. I'll keep trying - I've got plenty of time, I think.

I'm really hoping to get the Hilton, since I'm doing a weekend seminar there. If I have to I'll go down to 3* and explore other locations, but the Hilton would be ideal. I know I could also get the Marriott at 3.5*, but it seems from this forum and others that the Hilton accepts bids more often.

Yeah, plenty of time. This is kind of an experiment more than anything else. I'm willing to go right up to a few days before my travel dates, because I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a hotel somewhere within a 20 minute driving radius of Del Mar even at the last minute.

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]