Hotwire Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Airport North-Oyster Point) Holiday Inn

cnchandler
By cnchandler,
in

Please help to identify the subject hotel offered by Hotwire:

The amenities: Airport shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness center, Pool(s), Laundry Facilities, High Speed Internet Access.

Date: 03/12 - 03/16 - Offered price: $58/day

The plus: Complimentary Breakfast since we have two small kids.

Free parking

The questions:

1. Recommended in only 50% of customer reviews: Not so high customer rating. Is this hotel decent for family with two kids?

2. In general, most of our time will be in SF tourist attraction areas, is Oyster Point area convenient to commute to San Francisco center for visit and day trip?

Please advise.

Thanks,

First time family vacation in San Francisco

I've been pondering over this same listing for a trip in April. I'm pretty sure this is the LaQuinta, though it may be listed in the hotel list at a different star rating.

It is on the list, though. And when I checked the vacation packages (through HW/Expedia), the star rating for the LaQuinta was 2.5. It also seemed to have these amenities, so that is my best guess.

I stayed at this hotel once a few years ago. It was OK - nothing special but fine. If I remember correctly, their workout facility was tiny and not very good though, which is important to me. Check TripAdvisor for more opinions.

As to travel to SF - if you have a car, it won't take long. If you don't, you have to take the shuttle to airport, then take BART. I've done it a million times. It's fairly painless and you can read or do other stuff the whole way.

Let us know what you decide...

I don't think you'd want to stay out at the airport to do touristy stuff in SF.

You can get a 3* Fisherman's Wharf Hotel for $63/night for the same nights.

Or go up to the 3.5* Fisherman's Wharf for $84 or the 4* Union Square West for $96.

You'll probably save the money in commuting in from the airport alone, let alone all the time you'll spend getting in.

I've been pondering over this same listing for a trip in April. I'm pretty sure this is the LaQuinta, though it may be listed in the hotel list at a different star rating.

It is on the list, though. And when I checked the vacation packages (through HOTWIRE / Expedia), the star rating for the LaQuinta was 2.5. It also seemed to have these amenities, so that is my best guess.

I stayed at this hotel once a few years ago. It was OK - nothing special but fine. If I remember correctly, their workout facility was tiny and not very good though, which is important to me. Check TripAdvisor for more opinions.

As to travel to SF - if you have a car, it won't take long. If you don't, you have to take the shuttle to airport, then take BART. I've done it a million times. It's fairly painless and you can read or do other stuff the whole way.

Let us know what you decide...

Thanks for sharing your information. I'm still checking regarding the location convenience. Once I set with the plan where to go and if the N. SF Airport location works, I'd book the hotel there. I'll let you know what I will end up with.
I don't think you'd want to stay out at the airport to do touristy stuff in SF.

You can get a 3* Fisherman's Wharf Hotel for $63/night for the same nights.

Or go up to the 3.5* Fisherman's Wharf for $84 or the 4* Union Square West for $96.

You'll probably save the money in commuting in from the airport alone, let alone all the time you'll spend getting in.

Can you tell me how is parking at these hotels? Definitely the FW or USW would be best locations. But I heard that the parking can cost up to $30 - $40/day. Would you share any of your experiences about parking there?

Thanks,

Can you tell me how is parking at these hotels? Definitely the FW or USW would be best locations. But I heard that the parking can cost up to $30 - $40/day. Would you share any of your experiences about parking there?

Thanks,

Parking probably is at least $30, yes, but, from what I understand, you shouldn't really even have a car in the city. You can get around everywhere without a car. If you want to do wine country or a day trip, just rent a car for that day.

Mass transportation in SF is excellent.

Can you help to identify another hotel in N. SF Airport-Oyster Point?

- 3.5 * $69.00/day from March 12 to March 16

- Amenities: Airport Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, pool(s), Restaurant(s), High Speed Internet Access, kitchenette

Is the price reasonable for the location, * rating and amenties?

Thanks,

All evidence points to the Embassy Suites, which have been downgraded to 3.5*, so that would be my best guess. (I wish this was available for my dates!) Checked the VP thru HW/Expedia and both are available.

Very good value for the money, especially with a family. Bfst, manager's reception, etc, all add up to worthwhile benefits.

Look at hotel list and VP and see if you agree....

Hi!

Thanks for your tips! Is it the Embassy Suites on 250 Gateway blvd, SF, CA. 94080?

BTW, what is "VP"? (Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to the forum)

Do we have to pay for parking? I already booked a car with Hotwire, I'd prefer a hotel with free parking in that area. I hope that by staying with hotel not in the heart of SF, I can be more relaxed with daily parking fee. Please advise.

Thanks,

There are two Embassy Suites - one in each zone. Whichever zone it is will tell you exactly which hotel it is.

VP means Vacation Packages. HW used to have their own product and it was easier - almost ridiculously easy - to ID hotels through it. Now it's offered on the HW website but thru Expedia and it's not quite so parallel. But the * ratings are the same, and it can give you a little extra hint as pinpoint your HW hotel. Just pick the same dates for a hotel and car package, and see what's there at your star level.

Don't know about parking. If you think it's Embassy Suites, you can look on their website and find out. You do need to do some of the checking for your vacation, wouldn't you say...?

Let us know what comes about.

The Embssasy Suites at 250 Gateway blvd, SF, CA. 94080 is in the North SFO-Oyster POint zone... the Embassy Suites at 150 Anza Boulevard is in the SFO-Burlingame zone.

Current parking charge at this hotel is $15

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Staying in the city is ideal if your budget allows. But if you prefer commuting from an outlying zone another good option is the Staybridge Suites San Bruno. For your dates HOTWIRE offers what looks like the Staybridge for $65.

3* San Bruno-SFO West

Shuttle

Continental Breakfast

Pool

Business Center

Laundry

Highspeed Internet

Staybridge gives a lot for the money. Breakfast is included and parking is free. All the rooms are suites with separate bedroom and living areas. The living room couch is a hideaway bed. The suites have full kitchens and there's a Lucky supermarket conveniently across the street if you want to use the kitchen. There's even a Chuck E. Cheese across the street. How much kid friendlier can you get?

The San Bruno BART station is a few blocks from the Staybridge and if you don't want to drive downtown the hotel shuttle will take you to the BART station and pick you up.

I don't get it.

Why not just stay at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf for $67 from HOTWIRE?

No breakfast, but the commute to and from the hotel is going to cost close to what breakfast would cost anyhow, let alone the time saved each day.

It doesn't appear to be a budget thing at all at this point. Clearly you can stay in downtown within what appears to be your budget, so why wouldn't you?

The Holiday Inn gets solid reviews as well.

If you are keeping a car, then maybe it's a different story. If you do have a car, what exactly are you planning to use it for, because you certainly don't need (want) it to get around the city.

If you are taking multiple day trips outside the city, I can see it. If you are taking 1 day trip, then just rent a car for that 1 day.

Staying in the city is ideal if your budget allows. But if you prefer commuting from an outlying zone another good option is the Staybridge Suites San Bruno. For your dates HOTWIRE offers what looks like the Staybridge for $65.

3* San Bruno-SFO West

Shuttle

Continental Breakfast

Pool

Business Center

Laundry

Highspeed Internet

Staybridge gives a lot for the money. Breakfast is included and parking is free. All the rooms are suites with separate bedroom and living areas. The living room couch is a hideaway bed. The suites have full kitchens and there's a Lucky supermarket conveniently across the street if you want to use the kitchen. There's even a Chuck E. Cheese across the street. How much kid friendlier can you get?

The San Bruno BART station is a few blocks from the Staybridge and if you don't want to drive downtown the hotel shuttle will take you to the BART station and pick you up.

=================================

Look like 3* San Bruno-SFO West is suitable for our family travel plan, but I could not find that option from HOTWIRE. Please advise how can I get to this option. We travel with 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks a lot.

It's a Hotwire quirk that San Bruno hotels don't show up when searching on "San Francisco". You either have to search on "SFO" or "San Bruno".

Searching 2 adults/0 children only guarantees a room with one bed and you've got four people. But all the Staybridge suites have a hideaway couch so I think purchasing 2/0 would be safe in this instance, if your two children can share a hideaway.

BUT the Staybridge rate has jumped from $65 last night to $109 now!

The Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf at $67 would be cheaper now, even with the HI's $39/night parking. $67 + $39 = $106.

I ended up booking 3* hotel at SF Airport, SF South, Oyster Point with Holliday Inn @ $57.00, NO breakfast, but no parking and internet fee. This is our first time to travel as the whole family in SF area and stay at that HI.

Some member stated at the other thread that he'd prefer the other hotels for the same class. I'll share my experience with HI after the trip.

Thx for all of your input.

I ended up booking 3* hotel at SF Airport, SF South, Oyster Point...
I think you're combining two zones into one... in this region there is a (Airport North-Oyster Point) zone and a (Airport South - Burlingame) zone, can you please confirm which zone this property is located in.

As well, can you please list the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information, as well as the official zone name, by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

cnchandler - I'm sorry this didn't turn out as you preferred, and I feel a little guilty. But I'm pretty sure that I stated clearly that if it was showing a 70% approval rating, it would be the HI, not the HI-E. Do you remember if it was showing 70%? (The HI-E had a 90% approval, then it said "gathering reviews.")

That being said, my only feelings on the HI came from TripAdvisor, which isn't personal experience. I asked a friend here on the board to chime in because he's stayed there. He must be busy b-cuz he hasn't done it. (Calling Colfax...!!!)

Anyway, here is a bit of what he said about the HI-SFO North:

I don't mind the Holiday Inn. My big thing is noise...thin walls drive me crazy. And the HI is built like Fort Knox. I never hear anything. I think the HI haters are people who usually stay at Hyatt and Sheraton and of course it's not as good as those. But for me it's just fine.

So hopefully it will work out well for you. And if they have a coffeemaker/fridge, you can just pick up some supplies and have breakfast in the room. Have a nice trip.

Yeah, I was busy, lol.

With its free breakfast the HIE probably would have been better for your family, cnchandler, but this is no disaster.

Like Gallus50 mentioned the Holiday Inn is quiet. Parking and internet are free. No free breakfast but IHOP is across the street. There's always a good IHOP coupon in the Sunday paper...buy 1, get 1 free etc. And if you're driving to downtown the entrance ramp to 101 is across the street from the hotel. You can't get lost.

Have a great trip. If you think of it let us know how you liked the hotel after your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]