Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Hoboken - Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

planojim
By planojim,
in

and I've never used priceline or anything similar to boot. My buddy and I make a trip from Michigan to see our beloved Detroit Tigers play every year at a different ballpark. This year, it's Yankee Stadium, so any hotel I get in Manhattan would need to be convenient to hop the train to get to the Bronx.

I'll be there the 22nd through the 26th of May.

I know next to nothing about New York, but since our nighttimes will be spent in the Bronx, I don't need a hotel in the middle of the happening nightlife.

Most of the days will probably be spent eating. Katz Deli, Papaya King, Russ & Daughters, Yonah Schimmel, that type of thing, and maybe a trip through Central Park.

Our budget is about $150/night, but for sure under $200. Any thoughts? When is the best time to start looking? Now, or closer to our arrival?

Oh, and don't worry, I'll keep my Magnum P I hat at home.

thanks in advance

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You better add the Third Ave location of Ess-a-Bagel onto that list... one of the best in the city!

Anyway, regarding your hotel....

Two threads you should read before we get into the details of bidding:

1) I'VE NEVER USED PRICELINE or HOTWIRE will give you an overview of each service and how they work

2) PRICELINE RE-BIDDING: If your bid is not accepted Priceline won't let you bid again for 72 hours unless you add a zone or lower your minimum star quality. The above link explains a way around that and you'll need to understand the concept before bidding. Read the previous link and feel free to ask any questions you may have (it's not tremendously difficult, but can be confusing at first... but we're here to help so ask as many questions as you'd like... even if it's "I don't know where to begin, i don't understand any of it!" :) ). To make sure you understand re-bidding, you have two re-bid zones when bidding 4 star in NYC... see if you can figure out which ones they are.

We look forward to helping you get a good room at a great price (prices ain't like Novi, huh? :) )

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

since I'm travelling with a buddy, we're going to need 2 beds. From reading some of the posts, and noodling through Priceline, it doesn't look like I can be for sure I 'm going to get 2 beds with Priceline, eh?

As far as Hotwire goes, I'm assuming that if I type in 3 adults, instead of the 2 that will actually be staying, I would be pretty much assured of a 2nd bed, yes? Of course, this adds about $100/night to the hotel.

Any sneaky ways of gettting around this, or is it a roll of thie dice, and bring an air mattress to make sure?

thanks in advance

No way of guaranteeing two beds in the room with Priceline. You also noticed that rates can jump (sometimes they don't, depending upon the hotel) with HOTWIRE when you add a 3rd and 4th person.

It's pretty much a roll of the dice, although most places will accomodate you as long as there is availability. If the hotel is accomodating but otherwise sold-out, you can usually arrange to change rooms after the first nite, having them hold a 2 bed room that somebody is checking out of.

After you win a hotel you can call them up and put in a request for a room with 2 beds (as well as smoking/non-smoking). Some hotels are more accomodating than others (with some saying "i can't touch a Priceline reservation, make your request at check-in time), but of course, this is 'after the fact' and your purchase has already been made. The Shoreham hotel is a "known" 3* hotel in which the standard room can only accomodate 1 bed, so this would be an area and star rating to avoid (although this hotel does allow users to upgrade to 2 beds for an additional fee).

Let us know if/how you want to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

PS- one option you may want to consider is staying in Jersey City (NJ). The Hyatt is often won here very inexpensively (so it'll drastically improve your budget, if that is a concern), there is a PATH train at the door that will have you in midtown in 18 minutes (downtown in 8 minutes), and each room has a view of the NYC Skyline (photos at RealHotelPhotos.com... and here are some REVIEWS and more)

The downside is that you lose a bit of the "nyc feel", but that didn't sound as if it was very important to you. Also, if it's a nite game, once you get off the subway you may have to wait 15 minutes or so for the PATH train if you 'time it wrong'... other than that it's a great alternative to staying in NYC and i believe is available inexpensively for your dates. If you let us know if this is an option we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks for the info. The one in Jersey sounds just fine. I looked on Hotwire in the Hoboken/Jersey City area. They had a 3.5* with restaruant, pool, business center listed for $80/night.

Jersey City is not on your hotel list. Do you think this one listed is the Hyatt?

Thanks in advance

jb

Jersey City is on the list... but it's in the NJ HOTWIRE LIST :)

Although the above hotel is 'identified' as the Hyatt, i wouldn't start there... try Priceline first as this hotel often goes for even less.

Select 3* Jersey City and bid $37.

(don't worry if rejected... we have a gameplan in mind)

Let us know how it goes.

Any questions feel free to ask... and Good Luck!

Still came in almost half under your original $150/nite target, so nothing to complain about there... and well under the hotel's webrate of $279/nite! :)

I'd recommend the mexican restaurant nearby the Hyatt where our board members get 10% Off at the Baja Restaurant, but being you're from Texas our mexican food won't come close to what you're accustomed to!

Thanks for posting a follow-up to your results. I live nearby this hotel so if you need any help with the area i'll be happy to help.

Enjoy your stay and the games!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]