Bid Assist: Denver to Fort Lauderdale in March

thc_guy
By thc_guy,
in

I need help finding a flight under $200 from Denver to Fort Lauderdale (roundtrip) leaving DEN on March 11th and returning either the 14th or 15th. Can't seem to find anything under $240+

I am also looking for the same thing (tiX for under $200) from Denver to New Orleans (depart 4/27 and return 5/2)

I would appreciate help with either of these -- I know I flew both places last year for under $200 and booked closer to flight date. Is it too far away for prices to be that low or do youhave any tips or places I should look or discount codes or anything?!?!

PLEASE HELP -- I'M DESPERATE

You're "desperate" to save 50 bucks? :)

What you're encountering is the phenomenon known as "spring break." March is a very busy travel time to Florida. What is happening in the airline industry these days is that there is an overcapacity and cheap fares during off-peak periods, and limited availability and higher prices during peak periods. Spring break to Florida (with a Friday departure no less) is definitely a peak period!

FWIW, given the time frame you are travelling, a sub-$300 fare two months before departure date is a pretty good deal. You will certainly never find an advertised fare below that price for spring break and, if you wait to buy it, I think the odds strongly favor even fewer flight choices and higher prices.

I will not say it's impossible for prices to go down, however. Your best shot is to do a fare search on a site like Travelocity every day (you can sign up for their email alert, but that's less reliable), and hope that there's some crazy, short lived "deal" -- usually by an airline that's trying to retaliate and "send a message" to the hometown hub carrier (in this case probably UAL). If you see such a deal, buy it IMMEDIATELY, because it will be gone in a blink of an eye.

That said, I think the odds are against you in finding such a retaliatory fare at this relatively late date. I'd give you, at best, a 30% shot. So if you REALLY have to be in Ft. Lauderdale those days, buy your ticket for $260 or whatever the current price is. If the trip is DISCRETIONARY -- and you'd rather stay home than pay $260 -- wait (with the realization that the $260 price is likely to go to $360 and then $460 as you wait).

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I just saw your request for help on that MSY itinerary, too. Unless there's something special going on in MSY on those days, it would seem your odds are a little better given the extra months before departure and the slower travel season then. I'd personally add those city pairs to one of those watch lists I talked about and see what happens. With taxes, $200 seems like a good fare in that market, but it could easily be a little more or less. If by early March you don't see anything cheaper, I'd buy -- because it usually gets riskier finding cheap seats once you're within a 6-week-or-so travel window (all dependent on actual supply and demand on the route).

Agree that mid-$200s is a good fare from Denver to south Florida in March. You could try flying into PBI or (much less likely) MIA, or if you can do the drive, fly out of COS instead of DEN. Also, try departing on March 10th, because Friday is the peak day of the week for travel down to Florida. However, any savings is likely to be eaten up by the cost of extra hotel nights or driving to less convenient airports.

Basically the airlines, not you, hold all the cards on travel from cold places down to Florida in March.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]