Priceline Hotel: Help--what district for a bid?

greenjelloiscool
By greenjelloiscool,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Since i live in the area I'm familiar enough with NYC that you can just tell us your dates (which you did), maximum bid per nite, star rating desired, and what you're looking for from a hotel and i'll try to advise you on where to stay and what you're options are. I wrote the other thread you were probably looking out with described each of the PRICELINE NYC ZONES.

I'll ask a few questions as well to get a better guage of where you're "coming from"... have you ever been to NYC before, do you enjoy walking, are you willing to travel by subway?

Let us know some of the above and we'll take it from there (we'll just talk area and budget right now... once we figure that out we'll take the next step and supply a bidding strategy).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I really appreciate the help. I've been to NYC several times. I often stay at the Mariott Marquis and have stayed at the Algonquin and the Royal Rhiaad (is that how you spell it?). We usually stay in Times Square to have easy access to plays. We certainly don't mind walking--although in March it can get a tad bit chilly for Texans. The subway is fine. We haven't done a lot of subway riding in NYC, mainly because we usually stay close to where we want to go. We like 5th Avenue shopping, but wanted to try something a little different than the deparment stores for the perfect prom dress for the funk queen. Maybe even vintage? I am big on safety and want a minimum of a 3 star hotel. Will pay pretty big bucks for a nice place considering it's NYC. Would love to stay under $200, but considering rack rate is easily $300 for a nice hotel in New York, I'm willing to pay the price. I have bid sucessfully on hotels on Priceline in London, Miami, Phoenix and Orlando.

OK, here is what i see as some posibilities for your dates....

If you want to try Priceline i think you'll likely be successful for a 4* at roughly $140 to $160 if you're looking at MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS... if you don't include MTE perhaps a bit more. However, you should be willing to accept any 4* hotel within that zone (consult our PRICELINE NEW YORK list for hotels within each zone... realizing there could always be other hotels in each zone not yet reported). If this is the route you'd like to take let us know and we'll suggest a strategy. If there is a zone that you don't want to bid let us know that as well and we'll make sure to avoid it in our recommended strategy. Note that in the MTE zone the Millenium UN is a likley possibility and it's a fine hotel, albeit a bit east.

If you want something more specific, the Swissotel Drake is available for $189 and the Sofitel is available for $229. Granted these are not in the Soho or Theater zone, but based upon the hotels you've mentioned previously i'm thinking they are hotels that you would consider.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above. I think if you head further south (ie- into the Soho area you were originally considering) you'll be looking at higher hotel prices (i know higher is probably 'ok' with you but i think i'm brainwashed into always finding the best value). If none of the above appeals to you let also know that and we'll proceed furhter.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I know I am spoiled staying at some nice hotels---usually using frequent stay points or tagging along when my husband has business. Basically, we are looking for safety, ease of transportation and something more fun. I'd rather spend more on shopping than where to sleep at night. We would like to not have to travel too far to hit the stores. What do you suggest for my strategy?

I'm not 100% certain of this id, but if you do a search HERE you'll see a 3.5* Customer Favorite with Fitness and Business icons, which i think is the Sheraton Russel. If so, 5 blocks north takes you to the 4 or 5 train (express) downtown, while 4 blocks south takes you to the 6 train (local) to downtown.

A walk to Grand Central would also enable you to get crosstown to the theater very easily (bus or subway) or a $6 cab ride. With the hotel at $158 i think this is a good deal given your criteria, but as i said, i'm not 100% certain of this educated guess. Even if not the Russel Sheraton, the Customer Favorite review mentions it being close to Grand Central so at least location-wise this would work out well. Here you can read the REVIEWS.

If not this, i would suggest either Priceline or one of the hotels (SOFITEL or DRAKE) mentioned above. The downside to Priceline is that i would probaby avoid the MTE zone in order to avoid the Millenium UN, which isn't a bad hotel, but is probaby a bit far east for your needs; the UM/CPS puts you in the same area as the other two hotels mentioned; not sure how you feel about the MTW zone.

I guess those are my thoughts in a nutshell... let us know your thoughts and we'll continue on.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]