Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy Request for 4* MTE or CPS

Margie
By Margie,
in

I tried HW for a room for 2 adults 2 children and was given the option of Midtown South, 2 Star, with Breakfast. Price was $140. I looked at the pinned hotel list here, but I didn't see a match (sorry if it is there and I missed it). Any guesses as to what it could be? Thanks!

Sorry about that! I am looking (very early, I know) at April 16-18. Until today I didn't know that Hotwire offered quad rooms, so when I saw the option I plugged in our dates out of curiosity. As it gets closer to our travel time I think this might be the way to go as the conventional rate when booking a quad can be pricey.

I don't think it's too early, but best bet is to reply to this thread when you are ready to book and we'll then look for the most current choices.

My first thought is that i would be staying away from a 2* hotel in NYC... not likely to be what you expect it to be. Are you 4 adults or are there any children in your party?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I agree - I think I will stay away from the 2 stars as I don't think they are what we are looking for in this trip. Here's what going on: There are 8 of us going to NYC, we will actually need a total of 3 rooms, 2 doubles and 1 quad. From playing around with the Hotwire site I think I need to book the quad separate from the doubles or the room capacity is kind of screwed up. After figuring that out, I then saw the $30 Entertainment Book coupon mentioned here, so actually I would have to book 3 separate reservations, while attempting to match locations and amenities to (hopefully - no guarantees) get the same hotel - right? If we aren't all together it's not a disaster, but it would make things a lot easier! If I'm off here, please let me know.

Also, if I want to use the Entertainment Coupon and at the same time support betterbidding, is the best way still to follow the steps you posted October 13?

Thanks! We are looking forward to another great stay in NYC!

While playing with the hotwire site tonight I discovered that lower rates come up when you book 1 room at a time with 2 kids in the room. Same hotels seemed to some up with very different rates depending on how many rooms were booked with how many people. Interesting . . . .

The hotel you're looking at probably charges extra ($15/nite?) for each occupant over two (some do, some don't). By booking all together you're probably paying HOTWIRE the extra occupancy on all the rooms.

I've been hoping that ECT would release their April rooms before you are ready to purchase, i think they may be your best bet with the mulitple occupancy scenario.

Be sure to let us know, and touch base with us, before you are ready to commit to a non-refundable reservation (but it doesn't sound as if you're actually ready to purchase just yet).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! it was kind of weird that 1 room with 2 adults and 2 kids was cheaper than 1 room with 2 adults - the amenities/area were the same, so I think it was the same hotel. Anyway, I have been watching ECT too - last year we booked a one bedroom suite at the Beekman for $99 via ECT. Is Betterbidding affiliated with ECT and is there a way to book ECT and support Betterbidding at the same time? Our travel dates are set as theater tickets have been purchased, so when I see a price that everyone can live with I'll probably take it. Thanks again!

If this is not the right place for this question please move it. Is the 3* Midtown South hotel that is pinned in the Hotwire Hotel list as having a kitchenette "The Murray Hill Suites" or the "Murray Hill East Suites"? I got confused when I read a post on another travel forum that said there was a Murray Hill Suites located on 31st between Lexington and Park and a Murray Hill EAST Suites on 39th. Can you verify name and address of the hotel hotwire uses? Also, if it is a "suite" hotel does that mean that each room USUALLY has 1 bed and a sofa bed, or additional bed? Thanks in advance for your comments.

I'm fairly certain it is the one on 31st Street, not the 39th Street location.

I know squeegeekid has stayed here thru priceline and hopefully he'll respond (i'll send him a PM to alert him of this thread). Even if he doesn't recall the street, he can look at the photo at RealHotelPhotos.com and know if that's the same place.

Thank you, that is what I thought. Our room requirements have changed and are now final. The people that needed the quad room have booked something themselves, so I can now bid here for a Priceline hotel (if you are still speaking to me after all of my hotwire questions :) ) I'll post my criteria in the PL area and maybe you can suggest a strategy. Thank you for all of your time, I appreciate it.

Plans are now firm and I'm ready to bid. We will be in NYC April 16-20th. I would like to bid for two 4* rooms Midtown East. Upper Midtown/Central Park South is also acceptable but I don't think my budget is enough. Since the trip is a few months away, I would like to bid with a $100 limit (of course less is better but probably not practical), if I need to bump it up later I will.

MTE & CPS are the areas that will allow us to be close to the other people who are traveling with us but have made their own hotel reservations. I wanted to consider a 3* in the MTE area but I know that I would, without a doubt, win the dumpy Radisson because that's how my luck runs! Too bad as any of the other hotels listed as 3* would have been perfectly fine. Anyway, could you provide a strategy? Thanks!

I'm asusming you know and understand re-bidding, if not, please read PRICELINE RE-BIDDING and ask any questions you may have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board (you have two re-bid zones at the 4* level in NYC)

I don't think you limit is enough, but if you want to try anyway this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $90, if rejected add UM/CPS....

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $100.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Any further questions just ask.

• 2 months later...

I'm still here and I'm still bidding :)

Here's where I'm at: Travel dates are still April 16-20 (4 nights), and we need 2 rooms. I have a reasonable backup at the Ramada 30th & Lex, but if I can move uptown to a nicer hotel for the same (or less) money I would like to do it.

I don't expect a 4* as the rates for April seem very high, but here are my acceptable levels/zones in order of preference 4* MTE/UMCPS/MTS/MTW also 3* MTW/UMCPS/MTS. I didn't include 3* MTE because I don't want the Radisson East Side.

While placing bids at savingsbarn.com I have also been watching EasyClickTravel through this site, but so far I don't see anything comparable in price for our dates. If you see something I have missed, please let me know. I've also looked at hotwire and I have the Entertainment Coupon if there is something there that makes sense for me to use it on!

My bidding limit is $125, as anything over that will exceed my Ramada reservation when PL taxes and fees are added.

I tried to map out a strategy, but I was afraid I was missing a bid opportunity somewhere in the mix, can you advise a strategy before I totally lose my mind? I think I'm well on my way . . .

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]