Priceline Hotel: 2* Jessup Fairfield Inn

MichaelBei
By MichaelBei,
in

Jessup is south of Baltimore, between Columbia and BWI Airport. Entered Randallstown, got option of Owings Mills or Jessup. Bid on Owings Mills 2.5* @$32, rejected, $27 for 2* rejected. New bid for $28 for Jessup received an offer to rebid at $35, instead added Owings and got Fairfield in Jessup at $30.

Your Offer Price: $30.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $60.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $15.12

Total Charges: $75.12

Priceline's fee has become very steep; taxes are $6 (10%) which makes their fee $9.12, or 15%!!

The fee is actually more, because PL does not pay the hotel the entire bid amount. As an example, I recently bid $56 for a room but the hotel was paid $50.60 for the room, Taxes were $7.08. I figure that the PL fee for this one night was about $13.89; more than a 20% !!

This fee amounts to about $4.50/nite which seems in line. If your accepted bid was $100/nite, the fee would be more, but not by that much (maybe $6.50/nite?). For the lower accepted bids the fee is a large percentage of the total, for higher bids, not so much the case.

Still the best deal going as $30 (or even $35 when including Priceline's fee) for a name brand hotel is otherwise unheard of.

Thanks for the new hotel to add to the list and enjoy your stay.

PS- nice job bidding :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yea, you guys got a point (I am not complaining about the overall cost, for sure) - but I'm just a bit frugal. It's true that it is hard to find much lower than $30 these days, but it is also true that Priceline has been steadily increasing their fee behind the scenes - long gone are the days when you paid a flat $6 fee to Priceline regardless of your bid amount. Since a fair amount of my travel is to smaller cities, I also find that Priceline offers a pretty small percentage savings in many such places, which makes one pay more attention to how much the fees add. I have had many cases where the savings available were less than $10 a night. If I were on the board at Priceline, I would probably have voted for increasing the company take on higher dollar bids, but I would cap the take at some percentage, say 8 or 10%, for lower total bids; to wit, if one is buying a hotel for $40 for one night, then I wouldn't charge the customer more than $3 or $4, but I would charge much more if it were $200 for 5 nights (because it is less noticble to the customer in this case).

:)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]