Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Pittsburgh (Airport PIT) Marriott Airport

vb mom
By vb mom,
in

Can someone explain why some hotels have different star ratings with Priceline than they have with Hotwire? For example, for the Pittsburgh airport area The Embassy Suites is a 3* on Priceline and a 3.5 * on Hotwire. The Hyatt Place is a 2.5* on Priceline and a 3.0* on Hotwire. What gives? Does Hotwire have a different standard for rating the hotels?

I am hoping to win the Hyatt at the Pittsburgh airport. The only 3.5* wins I see for Priceline are the Hyatt. Since Embassy Suites and the Marriot Airport are listed as 3.5* with hotwire, do you think I could end up with one of those if I bid on Priceline for a 3.5*?

Also, what would you suggest for a first bid? I see the most recent wins are $50, but I do see an older win at $40.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

They are two different services and rate properties differently. I'm not sure regarding PRICELINE's rating system, but I believe HOTWIRE uses an average from multiple services to determine star ratings. Please go on what has been reported - if a hotel has not been reported on PRICELINE, then there is no guarantee that the hotel participates with the service. Additionally - while the ES and Marriott Apt are 3.5* on HOTWIRE, the ES was last reported as a 3* and the Marriott has never been reported, so I would definitely not bid 3.5* in an attempt to get either property.

What are your dates of travel?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

They are two different services and rate properties differently. I'm not sure regarding PRICELINE's rating system, but I believe HOTWIRE uses an average from multiple services to determine star ratings. Please go on what has been reported - if a hotel has not been reported on PRICELINE, then there is no guarantee that the hotel participates with the service. Additionally - while the ES and Marriott Apt are 3.5* on HOTWIRE, the ES was last reported as a 3* and the Marriott has never been reported, so I would definitely not bid 3.5* in an attempt to get either property.

What are your dates of travel?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Thanks for the info.

I just need a one night stay for Nov. 12. Was hoping for the Hyatt as my daughter's flight is at 7:00 a.m. which would make it very convenient for her to just walk over to the terminal. No need for a shuttle or for us to get up early to drive her to the airport. Will keep my fingers crossed. What price point do you think I should begin my bidding?

I'd try at $50. However, again - keep in mind that there's no guarantee of getting a particular property when using PRICELINE.

Yes, I fully understand there is no guarentee with Priceline. I was just studying previous wins to make my best guess. So far it doesn't look like any other 3.5* hotels have won for the Pittsburgh Airport Area with Priceline. I do understand that one day another hotel with a 3.5* rating could decide to sign up with Priceline and I might not get what I had hoped for. That is part of this "game". I will post my win once I decide to bid. Not sure if I will do it this week or next.

Bid $40 3.5* Pittsburgh Airport. Rejected. Added Pittsburgh North and bid $45 3.5*. Rejected. Added University Center and bid $50 3.5*. Accepted. Won the Airport Marriott. Total with taxes and fees is $64.51.

I am very disappointed. I studied all the wins, and the only 3.5* win I saw for a Priceline win was the Hyatt. The PIT airport does not list any other hotel for 3.5*. Had to go back several pages to see the Marriott and it was a Hotwire transaction. Was really wanting the Hyatt as we will be arriving late on the 12th and my daughter has an early flight out of PIT. Was hoping she could get some extra sleep if we won the Hyatt. We can't afford their rack rates, so was really hoping it would work out. Yes, I fully understand there are no guarentees, but with no other reported 3.5* win at the Airport, I was being optimistic. One plus is the Marriott has free parking. Still very disappointed. But it is what it is. We will make it work.

Thank you for sharing your result with the board!

Yes, this is a new hotel for the BetterBidding Priceline Hotel List. Thanx for posting this.

New hotels are coming all the time. I hope this will work for you.

Try to enjoy your stay.

Yellowdog.

It will work out for us, It just won't be as convenient. The hotel sounds lovely and the one plus is free parking. Just was really hoping my daughter could just walk over to the terminal from the hotel. Win some, lose some.

Before any asks, yes I did use the PRICELINE link on better bidding. :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Our stay at the Marriott went well. It was easy to find, staff was pleasant and room was clean. We liked having the sink outside the tub/toilet area. As mentioned parking was free and well lit. Unfortunately wifi was extra, but they did have a small business center with free internet. They also had a computer next to the front desk where you could print your boarding passes. We had a change in plans and ended up driving our daughter to Newark, Delaware instead of having her fly out of Pittsburgh. Long story......but everything worked out well. It was definitely a good deal for $50.

• 3 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]