Priceline Hotel: Help Please - NYC midtown Dec 18

STLtraveler
By STLtraveler,
in

Never used priceline or hotwire before. I've been looking for cheap hotels in midtown manhattan (preferrably east or west). Nothing cheap I see. Ran across some hole in the walls (according to traveladvisor comments) for around $150, but that is all.

Would like to get a 3* plus hotel for $150 or less. Is this impossible?

Running out of time, please help. Flight leaves tomorrow at 5:00am. How should I start my bid? How long does it take? Need to know the ins and outs of priceline and/or hotwire to save money on a room.

Thanks to whomever can help.

If someone posts more knowledgeable advice, follow that, but this is what I'd do at the last minute with no research.

Go to SavingsBarn.com to help support the board.

Start a bid for 3* at $125 in Midtown East.

If that fails, close your browser, go to SavingsBarn again, and start a bid for 3* $125 in Midtown West.

If that fails, once again start a new bid for 3* for $125 in Central Park South.

If that all fails, start a new bid and bid $150 for a 3* with Midtown East, Midtown West, and Central Park South all selected.

If that all fails, post again.

This whole process will take about 1/2 an hour with a high-speed connection, because you have to wait a while for Priceline.

Did you try the above yet?

If you have succeeded let us know the results (bid amount, hotel won, etc). If you were rejected, we can walk you thru re-bids which will enable you to continue bidding and i will supply a more detailed strategy.

I imagine you'er finding rates substantially higher than $150 for this stay, do you have a back-up reservation anyplace?

I can look further if you still don't have a reservation, but in a preliminary search i see a 4* hotel in MTE via HOTWIRE that i believe is going to be one of your best bets. I highly suspect that this hotel is The Drake.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to try out either priceline/hotwire because I was flying stand-by and unsure if I'd even make it to NY on Saturday. Luckily, I flew through White Plains and made it without a problem.

If anyone is looking for a decent (decent meaning a hotel version of a Motel 6) place to stay. The St. James is just a couple blocks from Times Square. I found this hotel listed on only one hotel internet side for $149 a night. I didn't book it due to my stand-by issues. When I got there, I was able to get a room for $115 a night (including taxes/fees)! It wasn't the Waldorf or anything. But, if you need a clean, safe place to lay your head that is close to all the "action", then you may want to try this one out. $115 for a Saturday night, the weekend before christmas. Not bad, and I'd definitely do it again.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]