Priceline Hotel: HELP - NYC Dec. 17 - 19

justjoanna
By justjoanna,
in

HELP!

My boyfriend and i just booked tickets to NYC on Dec. 17 (arriving 10am) to Dec. 19 under the assumption that we were staying over at a friend's place for the visit... BUT plans fell through and that option is out of the question now. :)

This will be my second time in NYC, but my first time using a bidding site like PriceLine or HotWire. I know this is very last minute and I'm probably going to have a tough shot at getting anything at a decent price, but I really need some help in finding something ASAP -- I have no backups right now except to pay out of the roof for accomodations!

Anyway... ideally, we would like to stay at a 4*+, but after a couple of searches online, the prices are a little steep... so we're considering dropping down to as low as a 2.5* although we would really prefer NOT to go there.

Our budget per night is $250... anything less would be extremely desirable and anything too much more would make me rethink my visit -- or use up my next year's Christmas gift too!

Please help... strategies, suggestions, price ranges, any info you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated. We're getting desparate here! :)

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I have a gameplan in mind, but not sure which direction you'd like to head.... would you rather a lesser quality hotel with a continuous stay OR SPLITTING YOUR BID between two nicer hotels (i'm still working on one of the nites... so let's say at least one nite at a nicer hotel, the other at the same or better than the 2 continuous nite stay).

Let us know and we'll advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here are what i see as your options:

If you do a HOTWIRE search for your dates you'll see a 3* in the MTS zone for $190... highly believed to be the Murray Hill Suites. It tends to get favorable reviews which you can read this MURRAY HILL REVIEW and THIS ONE. Priceline rates this a 2.5* property but i don't think i would try to beat the Hotwire rate for fear of getting some other 2.5* hotel as in my opinion this one is pretty good relative to its 2.5* rating. I haven't seen the rooms here, but you can see the outside of the hotel (somewhat residential) and the lobby (a bit non-professional looking... but at least you'll know what to expect) at RealHotelPhotos.com.

I think the above is currently your best bet for a complete stay, unless you wanted to raise your limit to $289/nite for which the FitzPatrick Grand Central is available by clicking THIS LINK (no booking fees on the $289/nite rate so really only increasing your budget by $20/nite once taking Priceline's fee into consideration).

As far as splittng the bid as discussed above, i think you can get a 4* hotel for under $200/nite for the first nite of your stay, but the second nite is more expensive. Unfortunately what is believed to be the Murray Hill Suites above doesn't show up when only searching for the 2nd nite so you can't split the bid with that option. The Fitzpatrick above does appear (at $289/nite) so you could also opt for that for only the second nite of your stay, Priceline the first nite, and you'll come in at/near your $250/nite budget (although it will be two different hotels and you'll have to change properties). Other than the location i don't know much about this property, but the REVIEWS are quite good. If you want to go this route we'll recommend a bidding strategy to follow for the first nite.

Let us know your thoughts on the above, ask any questions may have, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

SPLIT YOUR BID!

I was trying to get the same nights and failed up to $135 in all of Manhattan at 4* and up to $110 for 3*. I also failed up to $110 for Jersey City 3*. I was starting to think that I might be riding the train to/from Newark this weekend...

Then I split the bid and just got 12/17 for $39 at the Jersey City Hyatt a few minutes ago.

Since I was willing to spend up to $300 for both nights, I've got a LOT of room in the budget for 12/18. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]