Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark-Meadowlands (Secaucus-North Bergen) Hyatt Place

Happy Panda
By Happy Panda,
in

Hi there, I am new to this forum as well as Hotwire / Priceline, so please correct me if I do anything wrong

now onto my travel dates, I am looking at the 3rd week of October, from 18-23

I am planning to drive to NJ, then take the PATH train into NYC, so I needed a hotel that offers free parking (a must) and close to a PATH train station.

I looked at the hotels in Jersey City, and it seems like Candlewood Suites would fit perfectly.

In the list of hotels here, seems like Candlewood is the only 2*, so am I safe to goto Priceline and bid 2* there? Also, what amount should I start to ensure that I won't get upgraded?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

With PRICELINE there is no way to bid on, or target a specific hotel.

Also, be sure to read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List. While the Candlewood Suties may be the only 2* hotel reported to the board, there could be others and you coud be the first to report a new 2* property in this zone... as well as the fact you point out, that you could be upgraded to a higher rated hotel in the zone (which may not offer easy PATH access, and even more likely, not offer free parking)

What is your maximum budget for this stay? Where are you driving in from?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Actually which hotel I stay in isn't that big of a deal, as long as I could stay under $100 / night and have easy access to a nearby PATH station.

You can't guarantee that you'll be close to a PATH station... you could end up anywhere in the shaded boundaries of the zone. If you look at the Jersey City zone as defined by PRICELINE, are you able to accept a hotel anywhere within the boundaries of the zone?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You can't guarantee that you'll be close to a PATH station... you could end up anywhere in the shaded boundaries of the zone. If you look at the Jersey City zone as defined by PRICELINE, are you able to accept a hotel anywhere within the boundaries of the zone?

Do you think it's walkable to a PATH station if it's near the outside boundary? If not, are there any buses or LR to the station? How much would it cost if call for a cab?

Thanks

I think $20 is about the going rate... there may be a garage or two for less, but i think the majority will be a few dollars more (the mall lot nearby is $24/day) The Doubletree used to be $10 for guests but i seem to recall it may not be $15, but not certain.

You're trying to pick a hotel and then bid for that property, which you can't do... as noted above, you need to be able to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone.

Here is a summary of what i do know of the zone (which i'm vary familiar with, but can't promise that i've considered every possibility available, just in case there is some new hotel i didn't consider):

4* hotels = Westin, Hyatt, W Hoboken. All of these provide easy access to a PATH train/station, and i know of no other hotels in this zone which would qualify for 4 stars.

3.5* hotels = unreported but likely the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken. There are busses which stop in front of this hotel to go to Manhattan, but on the return they may stop running at ~1am or 2am, if you intend on staying out late. There is LightRail access to Hoboken to take the PATH should you get stuck in the city late at nite, but the LR shuts down sometime around that time too and i'm guessing a taxi from Hoboken PATH to Sheraton Suites to be $6-$8 or so.

3* hotels = anything at this level could be upgraded to a higher star level, so bidding 3* could land you the Sheraton Suites, which does not have direct PATH access. Courtyard and Doubletree both offer PATH access, but there could be other 3* hotels i'm not aware of.

2* hotels = only known is the Candlewood Suites, but there could be other small, 'independently owned' (ie- non-franchised) properties that i'm not aware of, and i would be somewhat concerned with neighborhood and/or quality. The Holland Motor Lodge, unknown if a PRICELINE participant, but an example of a hotel that i would be trying to avoid in the area.

I'll also add that the 4* hotels in the area much nicer than the hotels below them (2 of the 3 are less than a year old... the other is about 5 years old but well maintained and rooms have a view of the Manhattan Skyline); however, are likely just beyond your $100 budget.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

If you're willing to accept any 3* or higher rated hotel in the zone... you have ONE re-bid zones available at the 3* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $75.

Any questions feel free to ask.

You're correct, PRICELINE's boundaries have changed for the Jersey City zone and the Sheraton Suites would no longer be a possibility when bidding the Jersey City-Hoboken zone. The W Hotel is now the northern most point in this zone.

If there still is a 3.5* hotel in this zone, i don't which one would qualify.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad you're happy panda :)

I believe this hotel has a bus stop right in front of the hotel, so should work out well for an easy commute to Manhattan. There is also a WalMart within easy walking distance if you'd like to pick-up snacks, drinks, supplies, or anything you may have forgotten to pack.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]