Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Secaucus - North Bergen) Courtyard

theranch
By theranch,
in

Wow, just registered for this GREAT board.

A wealth of useful info, easy to navigate, nice work.

I am looking to priceline a room for December 8 to December 21.

I will have a car, so I know that some of the Jersey City options are not ideal.

Candlewood looks great, especially to have a kitchen and free parking.

Any suggestions on how to start the process (price/locations)?

I guess Candlewood is my first choice, but Secaucus or E. Rutherford would be more than fine.

(I lived in Rutherford for a few years).

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Thank you for the compliments on the site. :)

Is the purpose of this stay to be close to NYC but do it inexpensively or is there a specific raason to be in NJ?

Given the extended length of this stay (it's long by Priceline's average stay) are you willing to SPLIT YOUR BID? This may be necessary as i think it will be difficult to get a hotel for 13 consecutive nites when we already know that certain days within this stay are very tough (and expensive!). If you're willing to split the stay, how many times within this trip are you willing to change hotels?

One risk of trying to target the Candelwood on Priceline is that you could be upgraded to the Hyatt... adding an additional $20 or so parking fee to your total cost.

Once we know the answers to the above splitting of the bid and the intended purpose of this try we will better be able to advise.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's not just the weekend mentione above that will be difficult... this is one of the busiest times of the year in the NYC area. Upon looking closer, the Candlewood Suites appears to be sold-out for your entire stay except for the last few nites of yoru stay.

We'll help you figure out how to split your dates, but we'll need to know just how invonvenient you feel changing hotels is.... how many times during this stay would you be willing to change properties?

As well, you didn't give your thoughts about the 'problem' of bidding for the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City... you could easily be upgraded to the 3* Hyatt and then have a parking fee to deal with (if this happens, is it acceptable to you, or do you need to avoid this scenario at all costs?)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info about Candlewood being mostly sold out.

I'd probably rather stay in the Meadowlands area, Secaucus or E Rutherford.

As far as splitting up, might be willing to split up that week of 13-21 if you think it will help.

Since parking is no problem in that area, I guess any of the usual properties would be fine.

Wellsley would be my last choice.

Thanks again, you are very helpful

OK, this is how i would proceed....

Technically the Jersey City zone is not a re-bid zone, but with rates so high for these dates and some hotels in the area being sold-out, i would use it as a re-bid zone given the fact that this area also works out ok for you (assuming you're 'ok' with the risk of getting ending up in this zone and having to pay a parking fee... if not please post back and i'll revise accordingly). Note that on some dates the advice is to start with the Meadowlands zone and on other dates the advice is to start with the Secaucus zone.

12/8-12/21

Select 3* Meadowlands-Rutherford....

Bid $42, if rejected add Secaucus-North Bergen...

Bid $46, if rejected add Jersey City...

Bid $50.

If rejected lower to 2.5* and bid $35.

If rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

12/12-12/21

Select 3* Secaucus-North Bergen...

Bid $42, if rejected add Meadowlands-Rutherford....

Bid $50.

If rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

12/8-12/13

Bid $50.

12/13-12/21

Bid $42, if rejected add Meadowlands-Rutherford....

Bid $50.

12/8-12/12

Bid $50.

If you have success with any of the above stop, report back, and we'll then supply a strategy for the balance of your stay. If all of the above are rejected report back and we'll then supply additional strategy for you to try again in 72 hours (or if you feel that you are getting too close to check-in withou a reservation we can adjust the dates slightly to at least get you a room for your first few days).

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Any questions feel free to ask.

This is how i would proceed now:

12/8-12/21

Bid $55, if rejected add Secaucus-North Bergen...

Bid $60, if rejected add Jersey City...

Bid $65.

If rejected lower to 2.5* and bid $40.

12/12-12/21

Bid $55, if rejected add Meadowlands-Rutherford....

Bid $65.

12/8-12/13

Bid $65.

12/13-12/21

Bid $55, if rejected add Meadowlands-Rutherford....

Bid $65.

12/8-12/12

Bid $65.

If the above is rejected report back and we'll then try again immediately for just the upcoming weekend so that you'll have a place to stay for at least that part of the stay... then we'll work on the balance.

Any questions feel free to ask.

well, I guess it's a really really high demand time of year.

I made arrangements to stay with friends the first few days, then I was ACCEPTED for

Courtyard by Marriott for $60 from December 11th for the rest of the period.

All of the lower bids were rejected.

Thanks for all of your help!

Chris

Actually, I avoided Jersey City all together because of the parking situation.

Other than that, I basically did the bids as you suggested.

I had to add the 2.5 stars and up the money becuase I was running out of things to change on the bid.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I will be sure to post reviews on the site from all over.

So is this the Secaucus Courtyard (in the Secaucus-Rutherford zone?)... are the dates 12/11-12/21?

There is also a Courtyard in Lyndhurst which i'm not sure if that's in the Rutherford boundary or not.

Do you also recall what bid amount was rejected prior to this acceptance at $60... was it $55?

Thanks!

There are two Courtyard properties in this general area. In the area labeled Secaucus-North Bergen, this would be the Marriott Courtyard Secaucus that is in the Harmon Cove or Harmon Meadows area closer to New York City. In the Priceline Meadowlands-Rutherford area is the Marriott Courtyard Lyndhurst. I have stayed at both properties. Both offer free parking, but if I were to chose, I would select the Secaucus property as it is closer to the city, has more dining options nearby (an Outback steakhouse is in the lobby) and it is, of course, closer to Hoboken and its nightlife :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]