Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Hoboken - Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

eshspres
By eshspres,
in

First of all let me thank the angel that came up with the amazing site...this is such a great help to all of use penny pinchers out there that can't bear giving over our first born in order to stay in NYC.

My question is this: I am going to be in NYC from Dec. 10-13. Just glancing around at the hotel prices in the city for these days I figured my Priceline options would still be through the roof (i.e., $200+). Because I am a poor college student I didn't even bother bidding yet. I did notice, however, because of this site, that hotels in Jersey City seem to be a great option. I am in the city on business only and know my way around very well, so seeing the "sites" and such is not a big deal. I just want a cheap bed in a nice hotel and fairly quick, easy access to the city. If I decide to go the Jersey City route what should I bid? I'm hoping for the Hyatt in the sub $50 range, but I'm not sure how realistic this will be and would settle for the Doubletree or any of the other nice hotels for that matter. I would be willing to go higher for the Hyatt. Just give me any option you think might help me out.

Also, for fun...what would I have to bid to get a decent hotel in NYC?

Any suggestions from this rockin' site would be most appreciated.

Uh oh...

I went up to $50 and a 2.5* level and still no takers. From what I can tell on other websites it looks like the Hyatt is booked on the 11th and 12th, but Orbitz still has rooms available for it on those dates. I know I still have a while before I travel, but seeing as how rooms seem to be filling up I'm starting to feel a sense of urgency. Help and suggestions please?!?

Rooms are very tight for your dates in Jersey City. Of the 4 JC Pricline hotels, none of them are showing availability for all 3 nights that you want, so you will have to do some moving around. Hyatt is showing availability for the nights of 12/10 & 12/12, so I would try bidding seperately for each of those two nights @$37. If unsuccessful @$37, check 2.5* and raise your bid to $45.

For the night of 12/11, only the DoubleTree suites is showing availability, the other 3 JC hotels are sold out. For the DoubleTree, I would try $60, and if that's not successful, lower to 2.5* and raise your bid to $65.

Okay...change of plans...

I am planning on flying in on the 10th, staying one night, and leaving on the 11th. I made bids as high as $85 for a 2* and all were rejected. Looking on the Candlewood Suites site (the only 2* listed here) they are sold out that night. That leaves the Hyatt, Doubletree, and Courtyard, all of which had availability. How high do you think I need to go in order to get a room?

Having followed this zone closely for quite some time, I would say there is unfortunately simply no availability at any of the PL hotels in JC at this time for that date. I've never seen a PL rate above $85 for JC (or I believe above around $65 for that matter.)

You might try a bid in NYC for any zones and quality levels that will do up to your limit, or perhaps try the Meadowlands, where you could get something relatively cheap, and rent a car. You could also always keep bidding for JC in the hopes that something opens up.

Another tack you might want to take, although it has a low probability of success, is to try Brooklyn and Long Island City. Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, looks like a nice place in a great location and shows a rate of $269 for 12/10. TOBB says there have been no winning bids in Brooklyn, but I swear I've seen this come up before. A bid of $80-100 might work. What I would suggest is to try $80/90/100 at 3*, using Elmhurst/Corona and Long Island City as your free rebids. If that doesn't work out, you could explore the lower star levels in those two zones. Very rare to see something come up in these zones (I don't think I've ever seen anything come up in Long Island City), but might be worth a shot. I'd certainly try it...but then I'll try just about anything :)

To continue with the saga...

I went ahead and secured a $199/nt. room at the Hyatt in Jersey City through Orbitz. The main reason I took it was because it also included breakfast for two in the hotel and 2 PATH tickets to NYC. Now, because I'm locked in safely this high I'm looking for something in the city. Any tips on where I might be able to find something through Priceline in Manhattan for less than $199?

For this date i don't think you can get something at that price or better.

If you want to try it anyway i would proceed as follows:

Select 4* MTE and...

Bid $170, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $175, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $180, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $185, if rejected add Downtown and...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bdi zone and...

Bid $200.

If rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously:

Select 3* MTW and...

Bid $170, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $175, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $180, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $185, if rejected add UES and...

Bid $190, if rejected add Downtown and...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $200.

If any of the above zones are not 'ok' with you than let us know and we'll adjust accordingly. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICELINE REBIDDING and ask any questions that you may have.

I wouldn't bid less than 3* simply because you risk getting a hotel substantially worse than the Hyatt (imo).

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just wanted to give everyone an update on what came of my bidding saga. I was unable to get a successful bid at any of the locations for a decent price. I did, however, manage to secure a $199 rate at the Hyatt in Jersey City through Orbitz. After talking to thereuare he mentioned Hotwire's "Double the Difference" guarantee might be an option, as their rate was $241. Indeed he was right...so...after my $84 rebate I managed to secure a room at the Hyatt in Jersey City for the grand total of $194 after tax. Thanks so much to everyone for the help and especially to thereuare. I'll try and post my own little review after I return.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]