Hotwire Hotel: NYC area questions.

nick5
By nick5,
in

Good afternoon, Cheryl.

Times Square is - as you might imagine - the most popular area to stay in. However, this is also generally the most expensive and crowded area of the city. A lot of people who are unfamiliar with the city gravitate towards staying in this area because it's what they know best, but that does not always make it the most optimal area.

Midtown East is an excellent choice and so is the MTW area. Central Park South is also terrific, as well, although some may not find that area centrally located enough. The Empire State Building area and MSG-Convention area are also not that far from TS. For someone new to NYC, I'd say that MTE, MTW, CPS and Empire State are probably the best choices, with MTE being a particularly good option in terms of that MTE generally offers more reasonable hotel options combined with a convenient location (in terms of most of the properties in that zone.)

What would be the budget per night for these dates?

All of these areas are part of Manhattan.

What would be the budget per night for these dates?

All of these areas are part of Manhattan.

See, I learn something every time I come to BB. I did not know that all those areas were part of Manhattan. :) So,, under 200.00...... 250.00 tops I would think, if at all possible. Trouble being that there are 4 girls, so only properties where they can get two beds. That is why I thought hotwire. Now that I know all those areas are Manhattan then I'll be able to search some more. They also mentioned if Manhattan was not with in reach, or they could save a lot, then Brooklyn might be an option. But I dont' know if that is a good option or not. None of the girls have been to NYC but all are level headed smart thinking gals. I know they could figure out how to get around once there.

Thanks for help,

Cheryl

With NYC, it's really worth staying in NYC proper if at all possible, especially if only for a couple of days.

Unfortunately, $200-250 is going to be difficult for these dates. When one searches on Orbitz for properties for these dates, 4*'s are $400+

The problem is that the NYC Marathon is taking place on these dates, which results in VERY high prices. Are these the only dates of interest, or are there any alternate possibilities?

While i agree staying directly in NYC is ideal, given the Marathon their budget may be a bit of a stretch.

Rather than Brooklyn i'd suggest looking into Jersey City (the waterfront area) where HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel for 4adults from 10/30-11/2 with Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Internet, Business and a 4.5 Tripadvisor rating. This would be a match for the Westin which would be my best guess, and has easy PATH train access to Manhattan (mid-week ~15 minutes to midtown... weekends it goes thru Hoboken so takes ~20 minutes) which runs 24/7.

Also, if possible i'd suggest they stay in town on 11/1 and watch the marathon... even for a non-runner it's a fun and inspiring event.

I'm very familiar with this area so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you, and thank you too Aaron. I'll ask about moving weekends and also ask about doing the Jersey City area. (I'm feeling pretty good as from all my reading, that was the next thing I was going to check in with you about,, if the Jersey waterfront properties would be an option.) <G> There is so much that can be learned at better bidding board because of the information found by searching and reading older post.

I'll get back with you as soon as I know what direction this takes.

Have a great week,

Cheryl

I'll get back with you as soon as I know what direction this takes.

OK,, they (3-4 of them) are going to go the weekend of Oct 30th-Nov 1st or Oct 31-Nov 2nd, even knowing there is a marathon, IF they can get a room under 280.00. If not, they will go the following weekend. So, perfer Manhattan, could do Jersey City if needed.

I'll start exploring. any suggestions are always appreciated. I don't mind doing the leg work but might need help I.D.ing as I"m not normally a HOTWIRE gal. :)

Cheryl

Prices do look mildly better on 11/6-9; there's a 3.5* in Midtown East for $199 on HOTWIRE (especially good, considering that this is for 4 adults, and that does mean extra person fees usually added into the price.) That could be possibly the Roosevelt, Tudor or Doubletree.

While not a 4*, any of the hotels would be a nice possibly and more within the desired budget range.

Another "sub-4*" idea would be the Salisbury, which is in an outstanding location not far from Central Park. While not upscale, it's a popular hotel that's been around for decades and gets excellent reviews. A 700sq ft suite is $309 on Expedia.com for the first two nights, (11-6 to 8), third night free. Coupon code 10SEP takes $10 off each night, for an average of about $199. Again, not upscale, but nice, in an outstanding location and the group would have more space. The Salisbury gets a 4.5/5 on tripadvisor. Expedia link: Expedia.com

There's also this deal from Starwood (Westin, W, Sheraton): Stay 2 nights, get 1 free

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thank you as always for using the site's links.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thank you as always for using the site's links.

Aaron, you came up with more in an hour than I was able to come up with all night. They do not need 4 stars and 3 or even 2.5 would work.

I sent them the info... I told my daughter that their first choice weekend, is also Halloween. I have no clue if that plays in,,, but there are very few rooms open.

She is going to check to see if Jersey would work,,, but I think since it is their first time, they really wanted to do the "city".

Thanks for your help and such a quick reply,,

Cheryl

No problem, happy to help. :) Again, the Salisbury is rather "no frills" (it is an older property), but gets outstanding reviews and the location of that property is superb. I stayed there ages ago, but friends and family have stayed there in more recent years.

There's also a regular room, but I figured for a party of four, the suite would probably be a better option.

It's pre-marathon nite :)

Yes, Yes and yes.... my eyes are a blur. I have been working the keyboard for hours. I just don't know the areas very well. I think the Doubletree in Jersey is a possible at 169.00 a night via their web site. They say they are near the PATH. (train or bus? I"m not sure)

anyway, if you guys could read this over and tell me if there is something else I could check into. Price is an issue as now their might be 3 going not 4 to split cost. here is what one of the gals they are meeting that lives in Brookelyn,, what she wrote: (and I already know manhattan is out, so skip checking that any more. No rooms or prices for kings and queens.

thanks,

cheryl

------------------------

I got some info from Dana. Below is the 'order' in which would be ideal to stay. She said for NJ or L Island, the biggest thing is to make sure we're by the train (the name of the stations are below).

1. brooklyn//manhattan

if possible, try to get by F&G train in brooklyn

2. long island railroad/ New Jersey Path

3.LGA Fourth option

3.LGA Fourth option

Forget any reference to LGA area. Not going to do the LGA as any option as I read one of Thereuare's post about it not being an area to get around at night. I"m sure they would be coming back on the 'bus/train' at night.

What are your thoughts of doing priceline for 2 rooms? *2 in Jersey City, New Jersey, as Candlewood Suites has come up as a 45.00 winning bid. I know we are against the high room rates for that weekend. Would Candlewood be an easy access to get to PATH and such for going to city. Going to bed for the night, going on 2 A.M. Tomorrow is another day!

Those are pretty much the areas, and if you ultimatley look towards Jersey City, i'd take the HOTWIRE 4* at $15 more per nite ($4-$5/girl) vs. the Doubletree Club... with a TA rating of 4.5 it's most likely the Westin which is brand new, less than a year old, and getting great reviews (if it ultimately ended being the Hyatt that would be great too... both are better than the Doubletree, imo)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (and note we have a link to the Doubletree too in our support page, should you decide to go that route)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Back..... I tried to keep what was going on off board till it was over,,, but have to jump in and ask you guys that know the area if this is a possiblity.

The girls are now going with Two rooms. They will do the New Jersey side as there is no way to afford NYC. The dates are 10/30 check in, 11/2 check out. That is 3 nights, Fri, Sat and Sunday. They found Ramada Limited Jersey City 65 Tonnelle Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306 for 108.00 a night and have a cancelable reservation. Is this a good location?? They are driving there from Michigan. My eyes are a blur from trying to find other possiblities. I"m thinking now that they are going with 2 rooms, that maybe priceline is an option. But as we already know,, it is busy weekend because of the race. Thoughts on priceline? I did not see much on hotwire but I'm not good at knowing the areas and they list so many.

I know you are so busy with so many messages on the board here,,so if you can't help out,, I completely understand. You already have helped out with your advice you gave before.

Thanks,

cheryl

The tripadvisor ratings for this property are pretty good, but I don't think I'd want my 20 something year old daughter walking from the Journal Square station to the hotel at midnight. I stayed here about 4 years ago, but I was attending a trade show by myself, several years advanced from my twenties.

That is 3 nights, Fri, Sat and Sunday. They found Ramada Limited Jersey City 65 Tonnelle Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306 for 108.00 a night and have a cancelable reservation. Is this a good location??

This isn't really what you're looking for... you want the area near the Jersey City Waterfront (Westin Newport, Hyatt on the Hudson, Courtyard, Candlewood Suites or Doubletree Club)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]