Silly question I need answered

lovetotravel66
By lovetotravel66,
in

Hello everyone,

I am new to hotwire and priceline as I have always just gone through individual hotel websites to book rooms. My question is, when using priceline or hotwire to secure a room does one get hotel points? ie, hilton honors, starwood, marriott rewards, hyatt?? I belong to all reward programs as I travel quite frequently. I am thinking of using hotwire for the first time for hotels in Boston as they are a little more then I wanted to spend if I go through the hotel's web. Right now I have the Hilton Back Bay booked using Hilton points for Sept 18-21, I would rather keep my points and use hotwire if I was able to still collect points with the hotwire rate.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Lovetotravel66

Hello everyone,

I am new to hotwire and priceline as I have always just gone through individual hotel websites to book rooms. My question is, when using priceline or hotwire to secure a room does one get hotel points? ie, hilton honors, starwood, marriott rewards, hyatt?? I belong to all reward programs as I travel quite frequently. I am thinking of using hotwire for the first time for hotels in Boston as they are a little more then I wanted to spend if I go through the hotel's web. Right now I have the Hilton Back Bay booked using Hilton points for Sept 18-21, I would rather keep my points and use hotwire if I was able to still collect points with the hotwire rate.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Lovetotravel66

this is a question that I wrestle with all the time....do I burn off points or use an opaque service such as HOTWIRE or PRICELINE for a stay.

how many points will you need to give up for this three night trip?

what is the best rate that you have found on HOTWIRE for a3.5* or 4* hotel in the same zone as the Hilton Back Bay (that could be something different from the Hilton)? Please include the star level, rate and amenities.

Thank you both for your response. I figured it would be slim if I could collect hotel points but thought I would ask the experts here.

Hotwire is offering 3.5 hotel, Back Bay-Copley Square for $119/night. Smoke free room, fitness, pool, restaurant, business center, high speed internet access. Right now I am burning 40,000/night. I was hoping to find some great Hilton rate on their website at around 125-150 so I could still collect points and not burn up half my points. Guess I have to make the choice and go with it. Better bidding looks like a great site and will definately use if I decide to go the hotwire/priceline route.

Thanks again,

Love to travel :)

This could be either the Sheraton or possibly the Hilton, so even if you were to collect points (which I doubt would be offered by Hilton or Sheraton) you would be eligible for about 3600 points based on about $360 in hotel charges. You would burn off 120,000 points to stay at the Hilton vs about $400 (including HOTWIRE taxes and fees) through HOTWIRE and get either the Sheraton or Hilton and keep your points for another stay.

I had a similar scenario a few weeks ago for a stay in NYC, I only had enought points for one nights' accomodations and I did not want to pay rack rates for the second night. I was able to bid through PRICELINE and get my two night stay for about $285 including taxes and fees vs. burning off 40,000 points and paying another $230 for the second night. Unfortunately, because I use PRICELINE for most of my hotel stays, I don't collect many points.

Kudo's to thereuare for some great advice regarding the value of points vs. using PRICELINE, btw :)

it really comes down to your personal decision and what value you place on 120,000 Hilton points vs. paying $400 and getting the Sheraton or possibly the Hilton.

its a great question, by the way!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]