Priceline Hotel: 3.5* San Diego (Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island) Paradise Point

mjm001
By mjm001,
in

This is a great site and I had a few questions I hope could get answered. I'm traveling in late August.

In San Diego, one of the areas to select in Priceline on the list view and the matrix view is Mission Bay - Sea World, but when you try to name your own price, that area is not an option. I've identified two 4*hotels in that area: Hyatt and Hilton (which is listed as having the ppol closed, but when I called the hotel, they told me that was last year), but I can't tell where they are located in the Name Your Own Price view and what other 4* hotels might be in that area. Based on some of the other posts here, it might be the Shelter Island area, but I can't be sure. Can you help identify the area and the other 4* hotels in that area?

Also, as I search in areas, most of the hotels have a pool but there are always a few that don't. I'm traveling with two kids and need a pool. Could you suggest a bidding strategy for ensuring there is a pool?

Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You shouldn't use the "retail" side of PRICELINE to determine what you will likely get in the "name your own price" as the two services use a different universe of hotels. You can see the list of hotels reported to the board in each zone in the Priceline Hotel List. For additional information on this subject please see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

With PRICELINE you can't guarantee a hotel with a pool... if a pool is a 'must have' you should use HOTWIRE and select an offering which shows a Pool icon. As well, it sounds as if you will be more than double occupancy, so note that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. You could receive a room with only one bed and the hotel may be unable, or unwilling, to switch you to a room with two beds. You can take the risk if you choose to, but if not, HOTWIRE may again be a better option since they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

4* hotel Downtown- Harbor Island

Fitness Center, Pool, restaurant, business center, Internet, Tennis nearby

3* hotel Sea World- Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Comp Breakfast, Fitness Center, Pool, Laundry, Internet, Golf nearby, tennis nearby

4* Gaslamp Quarter - Convention Center

Smoke Free rooms, fitness center, pool, restaurant, business center, internet

The Downtown-Harbor Island property has not yet been identified.

What you describe for the 3* (Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island) property is a match for the Holiday Inn Express (DeSoto Blvd), although i'm not currently seeing this property when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing this on your own search? If so, are you searching for more than one room or for more than the default 2adults/0children?

The amenities for the 4* Gaslamp Quarter property are common and this combination matches multiple properties... the Hilton Bayfront and the Westin Gaslamp Quarter would be among the likely possibilities.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Checking HOTWIRE for 2 adults/2 children (which guarantees two beds) I find a 4* for $104 in the SeaWorld-Mission Bay-Shelter Island zone that looks like a match for the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, which I think is one of the hotels you were interested in.

Resort, Near Beach, Oceanfront, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Ctr, Highspeed, Golf, Spa.

Priceline usually beats Hotwire on price so you could try bidding less than $104 for a 4* in Priceline's Coastal zone. BUT the Priceline purchase only insures a one-bed room, so it's a little risky. The hotel you win might give you two beds but that's not guaranteed.

If $104 is in your budget range the Hyatt looks like a good choice for these dates, right on the water, with pools and two beds.

I'm seeing the 3* in SW-MB-SI that you posted for $75 and it looks like the Holiday Inn Express on De Soto. I've stayed at that HIE and I think you can probably find something better. The rooms are clean and there's free breakfast but the hotel is in a very busy location just off a freeway exit ramp and it's difficult to get in and out.

Another HOTWIRE possibility to consider is the 3* in Downtown-Harbor Island for $82 (again checking on 2 adults/2 children). It looks like a match for the Holiday Inn Downtown. The icons are:

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]