Priceline Hotel: 3* Portland (Convention Center-Lloyd Center) Doubletree Lloyd Center

lcf76
By lcf76,
in

Attempting to stay out by the convention center/Lloyd Center to save on parking. Bid on a 3* for $45-rejected. I don't think I get any free rebids so I'm waiting 72 hours now for another try unless someone knows something about free rebids that I don't.

It looks like HOTWIRE has the Red Lion offered for $65/night during these dates so I know I can get something for $65. Can it be had cheaper? We shall see.

Used your PRICELINE link to do my bidding.

At $52 you're approaching the point where staying in Convention Center might not be cheaper than staying downtown, especially if you win the 3* Doubletree in CC that charges $18/night parking. And I see Red Lion has raised their parking fee to $12/night.

Let's say you raise your bid one dollar and win the Doubletree in Convention Center zone at $53.

$53 room + $18 parking = $71

Compare that to winning the 3* Courtyard downtown, which several bidders have recently won at $43.

$43 room + $29 parking = $72

Is one dollar of savings, in the worst case, enough to make bidding a less desired zone worthwhile for you?

Another good "Near Downtown" option is 3* in the Northwest Portland zone, where the Silver Cloud Inn is the only reported hotel. The Silver Cloud has free parking and breakfast and the rooms are much larger and nicer than the "Priceline rooms" at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza, imo.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Parking at the Doubletree is less on Friday and Saturday, but I absolutely agree with Colfax on this one. Suppose you bid $53-$55 this time and are accepted. You would most likely get the Red Lion (when the Crowne Plaza, Doubletree, and Courtyard are selling through PRICELINE, it's usually at a lower rate), where parking is an additional $12. And what will you have gotten for that? A room at a hotel that's well below average by 3* standards, in a less preferred area.

I would bid for a hotel downtown before I'd go any higher for a room in the Convention Center area. If you can get something for less than $50, I think you're better off, even after you factor in the higher cost of parking (and you may find cheaper parking in a nearby lot). A 3* bid below $50 will almost certainly not be accepted by a hotel in Northwest Portland or South Waterfront District, so I would try the following PRICELINE strategy:

Bid $42 for 3* in Downtown Portland.

If rejected, add South Waterfront District and bid $44.

If rejected, exit this bid and start a new bid of $46 for 3* Downtown Portland + Northwest Portland.

If rejected, add South Waterfront District and bid $48.

A 3* bid below $50 will almost certainly not be accepted by a hotel in Northwest Portland or South Waterfront District...

I'll just add that i'm not a fan of adding 'live' zones unless you're also willing to accept a hotel in these zones. This can be a useful strategy if you're close to your check-in date and have little or no time to try your bid again, but with over a month before your stay, it's simply an unnecceary risk to take.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Rates aren't especially high for your dates (Benson $129, Red Lion $83 on Expedia) so I think you're bidding too high too early.

If you're eager and want to secure something now you can bid higher. But I think if you're patient you can probably win a 3* in the $40's in either Downtown or Convention Center, closer to your dates. I wouldn't bid higher than $43 for a 3* this far ahead.

Again, I agree with Colfax. You should be able to get a 3* hotel in the Convention Center area for less than what you've bid so far, judging by current rates. I recommend that you try the following strategy every few days:

Bid $35 for 3* in Convention Center.

If rejected, add South Waterfront District and bid $37.

If rejected, exit this bid and start a new bid of $40 for 3* Convention Center + Northwest Portland.

If rejected, add South Waterfront District and bid $42.

Adjust the bid amounts if you'd like to go higher than $42, but given the Doubletree's rate of $80 at Hilton.com, I think your first bid each session should be no more than $37. For now, I wouldn't bid more often than once every three days.

Well, I tried the suggested bidding scheme and didn't get a room. Why do you suggest that I wait 3 days between bidding?

Bid $35 for 3* in Convention Center.

If rejected, add South Waterfront District and bid $37.

If rejected, exit this bid and start a new bid of $40 for 3* Convention Center + Northwest Portland.

If rejected, add South Waterfront District and bid $42.

Bidding more often is probably not going to make a difference that this point, though it might as you get closer to your check-in date; you'll end up spending a lot of time bidding and getting rejected. But if you're okay with that, feel free to bid as often as you like (within the 24 hour rule, of course).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]