Priceline Hotel: 3* Waikiki (South) Waikiki Beachcomber

lamchop168
By lamchop168,
in

Hi,

New register user and hope to find the best way to bid for a stay in Oahu HI.

I didn't see any resort listed in "Priceline Hotel List - Hawaii".

Also looking for advice on bidding for a lowest resort type stay. Air already booked for 2/19/05 - 2/25/05.

Family of 4 1st time to HI. Wife and I, 1year and 5 year old looking to stay near the Waikik beach with resort that has beach access.

Any suggestion as to where to stay on a family this type with a budget of no more than $100US per night.

Thanks

Frankie Lam

New York

Welcome to BetterBidding!

A few questions and comments:

What is it you are looking for from a 'resort' property? This means different things to different people, and i'm doubtful you'll be successful for a 'true' resort class hotel for under $100/nite.

You should also be aware that Priceline only guarantees double occupancy... after that everything is at the discretion of the hotel (i'm assuming you're seeking one room for the four of you?). While i would doubt that a resort class hotel in a tourist area would give you much trouble on four in the room, the possibility is there that they could give you a room with only one bed.

Priceline can also give you a hotel anywhere within their shaded region, so there is no guarantee that you will have beach access direct from the hotel. Of course you could inspect the zones and only bid on the ones that are on the beach and only inland for a few blocks, but there is no way to designate a 'beachfront' or 'beach access' hotel with Priceline.

All of the above represents the 'unknown' and flexibility that we accept in exchange for the deeply discounted rates.

Another option is Hotwire, which in a recent development now allows you to bid for rooms designating 2 adults and 2 children (essentially guaranteeing you enough bedding accomodations for all 4 of you). Searching Hotwire for your dates doesn't reveal any 'true' resort class hotels at under $100/nite, but it did reveal a 3.5* (according to Hotwire) property in the 'central waikiki' area, with beach access, for $92/nite. Based upon the amenities and star rating I highly suspect (no guarantees though) that this property is the Radisson Waikiki Prince.

If correct, the reviews REVIEWS generally seem quite favorable and the RADISSON WEBSITE shows this property at $159/nite for your dates. I would browse their website and see if this property is what you had in mind for your stay.

If you decide to go with Hotwire make sure all the amenities and star ratings match up with what is shown in our HOTWIRE HOTEL LIST. If you would like to try Priceline, let us know and we will recommend a bidding strategy.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes and/or what you decide to do.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for all the info.. I will definitely be using the Savingsbarn to place my bids. Can you still setup a strategy for me to try using PL for good beach access resort or 4/5* hotel, still i would like to get under $100US. I will also take your suggestion and research on the Radisson Waikiki Prince. What about Outtrigger Reef, that beach front anything there for under $100us. Thanks so much, this site is great,will definitely be back........

Frankie

...using PL for good beach access...

That's the thing... you can't guarantee beach access with Priceline.

You can look at the maps of Priceline and click on the details of each zone and determine if the zone is small enough that if you received a property furthest away from the coast that you'd still be happy with it, but that's as best as you can get to ensuring 'beach access'.

You'll need to look at the Priceline maps yourself to determine your comfort level as everyone will have an opinion about how close they need to be to consider a beach 'accessible'.

If you find any zone(s) that you're comfortable being located anywhere within the shaded region, let us know and we can then suggest a bidding strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, did more research and seen some 4* on waikiki north from PL. Would rather have Outrigger reef than hawaii prince which is further west making it away from the waikik beach strip. with the accomondation part, I think as long as we can get a minimum of a king bed we should be ok, but a double would be great since I have a 5 yr and a 1yr old. So, if I can do a resort for max $100 that will be great but seeing it on this forum, the lowest I found was $135. Now the 4* is good for beach access again the hawaii prince is a very nice hotel but far away from the strip. How can I try on PL to get what I want for $100 on waikik norht resort or 4* outrigger reef, but not get the hawaii prince. Please advise and thank you so much for your help. of course I will bid through savingsbarn.com

p.s. the stay is late arrival 7:20pm 2/19/05 to 2/25/05...How's the weather temp and beach water temp at that time.

Frankie

New York

How can I try on PL to get what I want for $100 on waikik norht resort or 4* outrigger reef, but not get the hawaii prince.

Short Answer: You can't.

Long Answer: either you can accept any hotel in the zone equal to our greater than your minimum star level in the zone or you shouldn't use priceline.... this is the trade-off for the deeply discounted rates. As well, the two 4* properties that are in our list should not be considered to be inclusive... there could always be hotels that we don't yet know about (which you may not consider to be close enough to the beach) OR a hotel could be upgraded/downgraded to the 4* level.

As stated above, you can take a chance and use Priceline, or you can go with the Hotwire offering which should guarantee you sufficient 'beach access' based upon choosing one with the beach access icon. As well, assuming you have never bought from Hotwire before, the new BONUS MONEY offer makes it somewhat more attractive.

Something to keep in mind regarding the Radison Prince Kuhio, if you are still considering it, is the location which is two blocks off the beach. Kuhio Avenue fronts the hotel, lots of construction and although it is only two lanes, it is frequently bumper to bumper.

After crossing, you have a healthy city block with shops, restaurants, and hotels, next is the 4 lane "main drag" called Kalakaua Avenue, then either beachfront hotels or boutiques/stores. I would pick the Hawaii Prince over the Kuhio because of price and room size. Also there wouldn't be that much difference in distance walking to a beach and you wouldn't have to cross traffic. The Prince can be had for $50 bucks per night less than the price for the Kuhio quoted above and the Prince room I had came with two full/queen size beds.

Of course if you can get an Outrigger hotel on the beach for around $130 per night or less that is the best deal of all.

Good luck with your bidding.

OK, I'm using SavingsBarn.com and used Waikiki North $90 rejected, then add Executive $95 reject. Try with Airport $$97 still rejected. I am trying to bid for 2/19/05 - 2/25/05 for 6 nights. I'm seeing other successful bid for around $90-$95 for Outrigger and Waikiki Prince for around these prices, but I'm not having any luck at this time. Is it because this is a prime season and I need to up my bid a little more? How much more should I up? I am not sure what to do next?

Frankie

Sorry for the delayed response....

Rates are indeed higher at the Outrigger then when we typically see acceptances in the $95 area. I don't know if rates will go down between now and then (this may be winter recess for some public schools, no?), but my guess is that it may currently take about $125/nite (if you choose to bid this high, you can gradually work your way up since you have plenty of time).

I did find Hotels.com has a one nite free offer... bringing the regular rate of $168/nite down to $140/nite.

I think Hotwire has this property at $168/nite... not sure if you could use the 'buy 5 nites get 1 free' promo for a Double the Difference Gurantee, but that could be another possible way to play it as well (but if you could get a Priceline acceptance at $115 or so it would be about the same total cost and less of a hassle hoping all goes smoothly with the double the difference claim).

I guess is want, it's nice to get it since it's right on the beach. With 2 young kids, we can just go down and that's the beach. BTW, I just tried, very hard to get the resort. I went up to $113 and didn't get the Sheraton Waikiki which is also on the beach. I don't want to go over $115, since I really only want to go up to $100 from the start. I guess I am going have to go down in * and look for something very close to the beach and pay under $100....... I will keep trying...hopefully return with good results......Thanks

What about the Hotwire and "Double the Difference Offer" mentioned above? If all goes well it would bring your cost per nite down to $112/nite.

It's also not difficult to get a Hotwire customer service representative on the phone (or a reply via email which would give you something in writing)... you could ask/confirm if the above scenario, since there is a free nite involved, if they would count the rate as $168 or $140.

However, i would make it simple on them, ask:

If a hotel has a buy 3 get one nite free offer... and the rate is $100/nite; a 4 nite stay would net to $75/nite ($300 for 3 nites + 1 nite free = $300 for 4 nites). In computing the double the difference guarantee, would they use a rate basis if $75/nite or $100/nite.

I think (if i recall correctly) the wording on their website states that they would compare the total room cost of the two properties... which would make this a valid claim.

How do you know the Outrigger was downgraded to a 3 star on Priceline? Please note that the two fairly recent bids that got this hotel for $95 per night were executed about 3 weeks out from the date of the stay. You are trying to snare this deal almost 4 months out so be patient and keep trying. The one strategy that is constant on this BB is to book a cancelable backup hotel and then hang on to your bidding strategy until either successful or

you reach your cancellation cutoff period. As an example, follow this link

Hotel Webpage

and click on the button for Special Rates. Scroll down till you find Keys to the City and you can get a room and a rental car as a package deal for

about $89 per night plus tax. They identify the rental as a sub compact but I don't remember seeing anything that small of the rental lots. Of course there are lots of options for booking a cancelable room I just found this place that is about 1/2 block from Kuhio beach (southern end of Waikiki)

and the price is good for 4 people. Note: I scored a rental car on Priceline for a recent trip to Hawaii at $20 per day so if you were planning on renting a car during the visit, you get this room for about $69 plus tax. If anyone has any experience with this hotel please chime in. If you only plan to use this as your cancelable backup, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Regards, Keoni

In the winter time the rates are at it's peak. I try for resort up to $130 and 4* up to $120 and were rejected. Can't afford any higher so went and tried 3* and got Waikiki South Waikiki Beachcomber hotel. Started at $50, then $60, at $68 ask me to up $17 declined and re-bid at $70, accepted. I'm happy since Feb is so expensive their. Thanks to this board.

Did it through SavingsBarn.com

Congratulations, you got your price of $70 for a 3-star hotel room.

Check-In Date: Saturday, February 19, 2005

Check-Out Date: Friday, February 25, 2005

Hotel Name: Waikiki Beachcomber

2300 Kalakua Avenue

Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

808-922-4646

Your Offer Price: $70.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 6

Subtotal: $420.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $63.51

Total Charges: $483.51

Congratulations on your win.

Nice job of trying high and then lowering your price when you lowered your star rating.

Your post indicates that this in the Waikiki South zone, but prior reports put it in the NORTH zone... can you confirm?

Thanks for the support and for sharing your win.

Have a great stay and a memorable vacation.

Your post indicates that this in the Waikiki South zone, but prior reports put it in the NORTH zone... can you confirm?

It's south zone.

Keoni, I know, I am so happy with th eprice that I got. Thanks

Waikiki Beachcomber

Check-In Date: Saturday, February 19, 2005

Check-Out Date: Friday, February 25, 2005

Waikiki South

2300 Kalakua Avenue

Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

808-922-4646

See Hotel Website

View Map and Directions

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]