Priceline Hotel: 5* London (Mayfair-Soho) The Grosvenor House

edalb
By edalb,
in

My husband and I are visiting London for the first time arrving 8/27 to 9/9 for 13 nights. We are not sure if we should stay in the same hotel or a couple different hotels in different areas. We want to visit all major attractions and see a couple of shows. We need your advice in how to get the best deals for the length of period we will be there. Is it possible to get 4 star hotel(s) for $70/night ++? Should I start bidding now or later? How much should I start?

Thank you for your help.

PS. I don't seem to find where I can get this post place in the correct forum(LONDON). Sorry

I'm a member, not one of the official helpers, but I'll take a stab at as many of your questions as I can.

Further in this site is an area titled Hotels - International Winning Bids.... Within that is one for Other Countries, and within that is one for PRICELINE bids. That is the place for PL help requests.

A good way to address your question on staying in different hotels on a longer stay is to see if there are clearly higher and lower priced days, as this is when it can be good to "split your bid". There is discussion on the technique at SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID in the Tips section. One way to see about the rates for different days is to plug your dates into Expedia, as it shows rates by day. I looked at it for a little while, and sometimes your last two days were higher, and to a lesser extend a day or so toward the end of the first week. It won't hurt to try different date ranges, as long as you've done your research and have an idea of the better splitting points.

NOW is the time to start bidding. Usually people ask that question when they are many more months out. You have plenty of time, but it definitely is a good time to start.

As for areas, I think London has things of interest in pretty much all its zones and each one will have some advantages and disadvantages. Via the "tube", buses and other transportation one can move about pretty easily. With a longer stay, I like to stay a couple different places just for variety's sake. You need to take a look in Priceline itself (starting from the link above right-hand side). And decide which PL areas you find desirable, or rule out the undesirable ones. And post your decision back here as it will help the person suggesting your bidding strategy.

It may be possible to get 4* hotels for $70/night, but not much lower, and more likely it will take a little more. Look at the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins. Go down to Other Countries to get London. I did see a few days reported with a $54 win 9/4 - 9/6. Pretty amazing for London, but worth trying for. One approach might be to bid your dates at that rate, and then if it doesn't work for all 13 dates, keep narrowing in the days from both ends toward the span where somebody won at that rate. I've not seen such a low rate this past year! It could give you such a good rate for some of your dates that your budget would permit the probably necessary higher rates some of the other dates. I think I personally would start by seeing how many nights I could get at this rate. Expedia showed a lower rate for them for 9/1 -9/9, so that might be a workable span of days when trying to bid for them.

A pretty common less expensive win is in Kensington at the Copthorne Tara. It can get some negative reviews, but I've stayed there are found it worked just fine. Read the reviews a bit and see if the things that bother others will bother you. Then either keep Kensington out, or start use it as one of your first areas while bidding.

Good luck,

Romelle

Romelle, Nice commentary! :) (and anyone who feels they can help a poster is encouraged to help, just you have :) )

edalb, whether to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is one of personal preference (do you typically unpack as soon as you reach a hotel or do you live out of a suitcase for days at a time? how 'heavy' (read: much luggage) do you travel with? how much do you feel changing hotels would be an inconvenience vs. excitment of having a new place to stay, etc)

Another suggestion is to search HOTWIRE for your dates (and sub-set of your dates) to get a general feel for prices.

Start with the above, and feel free to ask additional questions as you do your research regarding zones, star ratings, etc. Once you decide upon zones, star rating, if you're willing to split the bid, etc we'll be able to offer a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Romelle, Thank you for your helpful information. I follow your tips and got to the area, do I go to the top, type in London, click search then click "new topic" EVERY time I have a different question even when it's related to the first post I created? or do I just click reply from your/other post?

We'd like to be able to stay in the same hotel to avoid check-in/out process and moving to different location, but it seems that we would have to split in order to get the good rate. I will try all different ways.

Also, am I wrong? when booking via PRICELINE / HOTWIRE for hotel/airline/car, no points will be rewarded (airline frequent miles, hotel pts). Only get points from credit card charged points. Please advise.

Thank you.

...or do I just click reply from your/other post?
Yes - keep all questions about the same stay in the same "thread", as you've done here.
Also, am I wrong? when booking via Priceline/hotwire for hotel/airline/car, no points will be rewarded (airline frequent miles, hotel pts). Only get points from credit card charged points. Please advise.
Others can help you with specifics on this stay, but I can give you an answer to this question based on experience:

The rules are, you do NOT get points for the room rate and you do NOT get any elite benefits, nor stay/nights credit. In most programs, you DO get credit for any other qualifying charges on the room (food, etc.)

Unofficially, about 1/3 of the time I get the credit anyway. Seems like it's relatively easy for the PRICELINE rate to be accidentally coded wrong in the hotel systems. Sometimes I've gotten elite benefits - I've gotten a nice SPG room at a Starwood property before, etc. My recollection is it was at least an unwritten suggestion at Hyatt and Omni properties to offer the benefits of those programs for PRICELINE guests.

So don't count on it but it sometimes happens anyway. Definitely worth it to give your frequent guest number at check in or when reconfirming the reservation.

When you actually get into PL, the basic London bidding area has 10 zones. This doesn't include LHR. To get into that you have to select "London Airports" (blue type under the map) and then you get the three - LHR, LGW and Luton. There also is another sub-selection or two of something like London-west which is WAY out.

I'm guessing when you talk of zones 1 and 2 that you mean the Tube or Underground zones? I'm not really sure if all 10 of the basic London bidding areas are within this or not. I'd guess they are, but wouldn't guarantee it. If they are not actually within tube transportation 1 and 2, I am sure they are within bus transportation. The two that tend to be less expensive are Kensington and Finsbury/Islington. Those are both on the tube transportation 1 and 2 for sure.

While you don't want to bid on any of the airport areas for your basic stay, you might consider them for last night if you have a very early departure? The airport hotels tend to be considerably less expensive than the city ones, and it is handy to be right by the airport for departure.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody bid on 2* hotels in London. I don't think it would be a good idea. Very loosely speaking, the European hotels seem rated a little higher than US ones. So - a nicer 3* in the US will be a 4* there. Take a look at the list of reported PL wins - first post in this Other Country area. Follow on in on the reviews, and maybe even cross over to www.tripadvisor.com reviews. See if you would be happy with the hotels others have gotten at the 3* level. I just looked at that list, and was surprised to see there is one 2* win reported. Your call/budget on this one. Actually, when I've had trouble finding a place and budget was tight, I've resorted to youth hostels in London and other cities, and college dorms in Dublin. Primitive, but hey - I got to make the trip!

Have you actually made any bids yet?

Are you aware of the "add a night" feature Priceline has? If you have a successful bid for "X" nights, SOMETIMES you will be given the opportunity to extend your bid by up to the number of nights you initially bid. SOMETIMES it is at the same rate as your initial bid, but sometimes the rate is higher. You will though get charged another basic PL fee. This might work if you bid a short range of dates for that $54 Kensington and actually get it.

Romelle

Thanks again Romelle,

Yes, I have tried several times with 4* offering $75/night in Soho, PL counter offered $139. I ignored it. Later, I tried 3* with Bloomsberry, Kensington, Soho with $55/night. It took much longer time from PL to get back to me (does it mean that I'm closer to the target?). I tried it with differnt date range(spliting the dates) all @ $55/night. But all failed:((

I did checked YHA hostels as well. I don't think we want to go that route. I also check a few other links for flats, they are more expensive, seems to have more space than we need(usually sleeps 2-4 ps) So I still think PL may be the way for me to continue bid on it. I think I still have time to continue bidding. I will than consider up my price for the 4* to $90 or so.

Yes, I maent the underground tube zone 1 & 2. I have read about the paper travelcard and the 2 for 1 offer. The suggestion of staying by the airport the night before departure is great. Do you know if there are safe places to store the baggages so we don't have to carry them around the whole day?

I think if I were bidding your trip, I'd start with Kensington at that $54 4* for 8/27-9/6, and then keep adding the other zones one at a time while increasing my bid by $2 a time. The reason for the range of dates is I checked the NH Harrington and their rack rates are all pretty much the same across that time span. After the 6th of Sep, the rates jump dramatically so you don't want them in the range. If you got the first long block of days at a good rate, the budget would have room for the few more expensive days.

And even if that didn't work, I think I'd come back and use a shorter range of dates centering around that 9/4 -9/6 and take another run at it again starting with the $54.

Then I'd probably explore on up to about $85, always keeping those 9/6 - 9/9 days out since it looks like they will be high. The theory is that when you are bidding a longer span of days, your bid has to be equal to or greater than the highest rated day.

I personally think when PL slows down it means you are close. Others don't agree with me, but it has definitely been my experience.

The reason for going higher than the $54 is the actual price is in British Pounds, and the dollar has been losing ground lately.

Glad you are actually bidding. The first few bids are the hardest. Do keep a paper and pencil tally, or some sort of computer record so you can keep track of what you are doing.

Romelle

And you were right to ignore the counter offer. Sometimes only a dollar or two more will do the job. And don't be surprised if the counters are higher the next time. Sort of a PL scare tactic.

It seems as if budget is a primary factor for this trip, and that you're very flexible in regards to zones. If so, and you're bidding at the 4* level, why are you only only bidding the Soho (usually an expensive area) zone? It would seem that if you truly are flexible in area, then including all acceptable zones would increase the number of hotels able to accept your bid, and result in a better deal for the star rating you're bidding. (of course you should check the zones to make sure that you're comfortable with a hotel anywhere within the boundaries of the zone)

Although you currently have no re-bid zones at the 4* level, if you're willing to accept multiple zones you can bid in various combinations and gradutally work your way up to your maximum bid.

Let us know your thoughts, and if you update us as to the zone(s) you're willing to accept, your star level, and your maximum bid we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One non-Priceline or non-Hotwire option to consider is London School of Economics accommodation, either for part or all of your stay. The good thing is that you can have the use of a kitchen and laundry facilities, and some of the locations are excellent. There are both ensuite and non-ensuite options, although the ensuite are more expensive of course. Often, breakfast is included. Having stayed at one of these, I can say they are definitely not as nice as a Priceline 4* hotel, but all the other features made up for it.

www.lsevacations.co.uk

During part of your stay, some deeply discounted options are available.

Hi Romelle,

Thanks for your input again. I will try again with your suggestion 8/27 to 9/6. Which leave 2 nights open for may be out of city trips with the last night definitely at the LHR. I was advised to stay away from Nottinghill, Regent Park, Finsburg/Islington, Hammersmith, Dockland due to inconviennence of public transportation. Your thoughts? Most importantly, we want a safe neighborhood, easy access to tube/bus(a little walk-15 min. is not a problem). Thank you for checking the dates for me. I have started my bid @ $75. Should I go lower for 4* leaving 9/6 to 9/9 out?

I will try again with your suggestion 8/27 to 9/6. Which leave 2 nights open for may be out of city trips with the last night definitely at the LHR. I was advised to stay away from Nottinghill, Regent Park, Finsburg/Islington, Hammersmith, Dockland due to inconviennence of public transportation. Your thoughts? Most importantly, we want a safe neighborhood, easy access to tube/bus(a little walk-15 min. is not a problem). Thank you for checking the dates for me. I have started my bid @ $75. Should I go lower for 4* leaving 9/6 to 9/9 out?

Regarding the outer areas, it is your call. I happen to like public transportation, and find the only difference between London neighborhoods is the train rides might be 15 or so minutes longer.

As to starting lower than $75 - you will never know unless you try it. The only real cost to you is your time and patience.

If you are going to do that last night at LHR, maybe you could have some fun bidding it now, maybe working up $2 a day as you do your other bidding? I'd guess somewhere between $50 and $70 would do the trick.

Romelle

Yes. I have the time and patience to bid lower price. We don't mind the outer areas, I just want to make sure they are ALL walkable distance 15 min.+- from the hotel to the bus/tube stations. I suppose staying at a 4* should not be too bad, right? Bidding for last night @LHR should be much easier. You are right, why not start bidding now since we are staying there for sure. Thank you much for your VALUALBE info and suggestions. I have one other question, do you know/think that bidding via Betterbidding.com or directly with PL makes any difference from the change of accepting offers?Commission to more parties?

To the best of my knowledge, bidding directly with PL or linking via BB makes no difference as to acceptance. Using the link, BB gets a few pennies for actual acceptances and it all adds up to enough to keep this site in business.

London is very compact, and the public transportation grid covers it very well. You might look at the list of hotels people have reported as getting - first post in this section. Scroll down to the London reportings and then check out the reviews on the hotels in the outer areas you are leery of. Often the reviews will mention access (or lack thereof) to public transportation.

Romelle

One really long shot here - sometimes PL will give people "bonus money". To see if you happen to have any, look at your profile when on PL and hit the "My Rewards" button. It is rare, but worth checking. If there happens to be a statement there about bonus money, just follow the rules and links. It gets added to your bid and makes it higher.

I will disagree, in a friendly way, with the idea of switching to go to an LHR hotel. Many of these are not that easily gotten to by public transport, particularly from central London. You will have to waste time getting to that hotel the night before, and then the next morning, you may have no choice but to take a taxi or the overly expensive Hoppa bus. Lots of times I like to go to a play or something the last night, and that would not really be possible. Example of such a hotel - the Crowne Plaza.

Thank you WillTravel. I only intend to stay in LHR the night before our departure back to USA. Follow your link, I checked the London Economic College Accomodation. I don't think we want to stay at places like that, same as YHA kind of places. I understand some of the benefits with kitchen, laundry... but NO. I'll stay with priceline 4*. Thank you.

Hi thereuare. I am not opposed to other zones. However, we just want to make sure that surrounding areas of the hotel are safe to walk, conviennent to tube/bus with a little walk is ok(15 min. +-). I have tried bidding ALL the zones, one at a time, just to see what kind of counter offer I get which gave me some ideas of the value/worth of the zone. The cheapest zone seems to be Dockland, is this a safe area? conviennence to tube/bus? How long does it take to get to city attractions, sites..etc.

I searched PL hotels in the Kensington area, it pulled only 1- 5*, 11 - 4*, 6 - 3* hotels.... does it mean that these are the only hotels that have contracts with PL for bidding? Another interesting point is the Hilton London Olympia is rated as 4* with $138/night and many other 3* hotels rated as 3* and charges more per night. How does this rating work? I'm bidding Kensington zone only because I was advised that Kensington is a pretty good area for what we are looking for and prepare to pay.

Thank you.

I know your questions were directed to thereuare, but until he gets to you, I'll take a stab at a couple of them.

www.tfl.gov.uk is a good site for studying tube transportation.

As to the safety of surrounding areas, I still think your best bet is to read hotel reviews - both here and more general sites like www.tripadvisor.com. And perhaps guide books - Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors, Let's Go, etc. Your local library/bookstore will have many of them on London. You will probably want a couple for your trip anyway. This web site is more about helping people bid successfully. Travel advice does show up, but it is sort of voluntary and really isn't the main focus. You can ask more general questions on the travel guide web sites.

There are two sides to PL, the direct buy (retail) side, and the bidding side. While there is correlation between the hotel offerings on the two side, it is imperfect. You can get a hotel through bidding that doesn't show up on the retail side, and vice versa.

Hotels set their own prices, and this is separate from PL rating. There is information on PL rating on PL's site. Generally speaking, it is feature based, but PL claims to also inspect the hotels. There will be cross-over between rates and ratings for all sorts of reasons.

The idea of using other areas in bidding is to let you keep raising your bid on the same day. Some areas are generally known to be less expensive than others, and one can add more expensive areas after starting in the less expensive ones without being likely to get a hotel in the expensive areas. No guarantees though on that, so it is a good idea to never add an area you wouldn't be willing to accept.

Romelle

I know you meant the LHR hotel for one night before returning to the US, but I would personally disagree with that (no biggie though, as you clearly see it differently).

For Docklands, it really is far out. You will be near very few sites of interest, unless you want to hang around financial skyscrapers. However, if you have such a long stay in London, and you are also interested in Greenwich, it might be okay for part of your stay if you are planning to switch between hotels.

Romelle.

I have read some hotel reviews in BB, Hotwire, Fodors...etc a bit here and there. However, I wouldn't know which hotel I'll get thru PL. I guess that is part of the risk with PL. I just hope that we won't end up in an "undesireable" area, more reason to bid 4* and above. I will keep working on my bids. Is it okay to continue to bid everyday? does it have any "side" effect? I was advised that I should avoid Dockland and Hammersmith because of transportation issues. Are they? How about Finsbury & Islington?

Hi Willtravel,

You do have a point about staying last night @LHR hotel. Our flight departs 10:05 am, not too bad. We hope to store our luggages somewhere (I'm not sure where) and only check in the LHR hotel till late at night. Currently, I booked the Sheraton with points and can cancel any time which gives us the freedom to change later.

I also like to take a day or two days trip out of London. The last 2-3 nights may work out well as it seems that London hotel rates go up starting 9/6. I'd like to check if Dockland is a possible option. Did I see your postings in Fodors too?

Thanks again.

I know of no "side effect" from bidding every day. I've done it many times. When I ultimately get high enough (I start low, just in case...), I get a hotel. The only trick is keeping track of your time, so you don't try the same bid again within 24 hours.

Regarding transportation, Dockland is served by a different railroad but transfers work between it and the main underground network. You sometimes have to walk a little further to make the transfer, and follow signs a little more carefully. Actually, one of the 5* hotels people do get in London via PL is in Dockland, and they always seem very happy with it. It is indeed quite a ways out, and if you are leery of that, a good reason to simply not bid it.

I haven't stayed in Hammersmith so shouldn't comment on it. Finsbury and Islington is served by the Victoria line that goes diagonally right through the center of London. Get on PL at the point where it is showing the London area map, and then hit the detail map for a specific area. Click the plus sign once to zoom in. You will see the little symbols for the Underground stations (Red circle, blue and white bar through it) scattered across the map. I think from looking at the scale that in the absolute worst case one would only be a little over a 1/2 mile from a station.

Tons of wonderful other areas in England too. I just got back from a trip there. Salisbury to see Stonehenge, and Stratford-Upon-Avon for Shakespeare. Plymouth for the Pilgrim jumping off point, Oxford, Bath, ..... Way too many choices, but grand fun picking.

Romelle

You can help other bidders, if you report the detail of your "failed bids". Lets them know what didn't work, and they can start from there, rather than revisiting the same level that didn't work for you.

Edalb, yes, I post on Fodors also.

I am very partial to Edinburgh, if you want to break your trip up. It would be an easy train ride, even though it looks like a fair distance from London. But accommodation will be very costly if the festival is still on (but that is my favorite time to be there).

Another possibility, if you want to go to another English city, is to take Megabus - www.megabus.co.uk - or National Express - www.nationalexpress.com . Both can have some very cheap transport options.

I have to say, though, that 13 nights in London would also be a fabulous trip, and choosing 3 different areas, for example, would let you see completely different sides of the city.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]