date of bid: 10/25/04

dates: dec 12, 2004 to dec 17, 2004

number of rooms: 1

number of nights: 5

travel insurance: $25.00

subtotal: $500.00

taxes: $60.29

total: 560.29

Wasn't worried until googled it and read some reviews. This hotel has no elevator. Called PL customer service, since have always been a happy customer. According to PL customer service a 4 star hotel doesn't have to have an elevator. Their other arguement is that I bid for a 4 star hotel, but got a "better" property because it is a resort. I didn't bid in the resort category SPECIFICALLy because I had read some bad reviews of the "resorts". I wanted a 4 star hotel. They say no refund. Amex says I will get my money back because PL breached their contract, since I asked for a 4 star hotel, and a 4 star hotel should have an elevator.

other problems w this "resort" according to posts on consumer reports and other boards:

1. bugs (lots of bugs) in the rooms

2. housekeeping barging in at 7:30am even with do not disturb on door

3. time share salespeople all over, harrassing guests at pool, in lobby, at elevators

4. air conditioning so weak that all is damp and soggy in room, clothes soggy

Any thoughts?

I have stayed in two resorts in Mexico (both non-Priceline stays) and neither of them had elevators... yet i would still classify them both as resorts (one of them we loved, the other not so much).

I think there are a lot of resorts that don't have elevators in Mexico, as the properties are often spread out rather than built up, with most buildings only 2 or 3 stories. The hotels probably figured it would be less expensive to pay bellman to carry the luggage up the stairs rather than put in, maintain, and deal with the electricity (bill and outages) of elevators.

Whether Amex is successful getting you a refund i cannot say, but Priceline didn't breach their contract with you by upgrading you to a resort since the star level you select is the minimum you are willing to accept.

Overall these REVIEWS seem fairly positive.

Please keep us updated as to the outcome.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Bear in mind that if you do dispute with Amex, Priceline may be unwilling to deal with you in the future. (At least you may need to create a new account, clear your cookies, use a different credit card, etc.)

I don't know this first hand, but third-hand they 'blacklist' customers who dispute CC charges.

It's threads like this that make me wish Priceline would allow you to select an option to waive an upgrade if you so choose. Often times people want to bid a 2.5 star property (such as Marriott Courtyard, etc) because they're often newer, don't have parking charges, etc than many 3 star hotels. But the customer is out of luck if the Priceline rate for a 3 star is lower than the 2.5 he/she bids (which is often the case). If the customer is willing to pay more for the 2.5 than the lower priced 3 star, what's it to Priceline?

Also, many resort properties are rated as such due to all their recreational amenities, when in fact the actual rooms reflect more of a 3 star status. A resort property being "better" than a 4 star is a matter of opinion, depending on the particular property.

Anyone know why Priceline will upgrade from one quality level to another, but not boutique to 4 stars?

I wish you the best in your pursuit, kimmyx10. Is there anywhere in Priceline's terms and agreements that mentions their option to upgrade you?

A year or two I got an email in response to my query about upgrades, but it was from the Priceline support people who are essentially impossible to understand. It seemed to suggest that Priceline starts at the top of the star level list looking for a match and then continues downward. The email did not provide an exception for boutique hotels.

I apologize for saying it, but I think I'm on priceline's side of this dispute. Let's face it -- priceline is not for the picky. If you're going to be worried about whether a low rise hotel has an elevator, or concerned that some on-line reviewers didn't like a particular hotel, YOU NEED TO PICK YOUR OWN HOTEL. There's nothing wrong with being picky, of course. Some people like what they like and are willing to pay for it if necessary. On the other hand, Priceline is geared to a more "go with the flow" type value traveller. The kind of person who is looking "for a deal" and is willing to put up with a little uncertainty and unpredictability in exchange for a cheaper hotel stay.

Here, you were trying to "game the system" and avoid a certain hotel that you didn't think you'd like. Nothing wrong with "gaming" priceline -- I do it all the time with "free rebids" and such. Unfortunately, you didn't completely understand the rules of the game, and "lost." That's hardly priceline's fault. While I agree with the poster who said priceline should offer an option for the rare customer who doesn't want an upgrade, the fact that they don't offer that option (and tell you that in advance if you read their rules) makes their system "fair."

FWIW, I have stayed at Melia Hotels (not in Mexico, however) and have found their service comparable to other good 3 and 4 star hotel chains. My guess is that if you don't get your refund (hey, if they give it to you great!), and go with an open mind, you will find the property satisfactory.

And next time, perhaps you'll consider whether picking your own hotel better meets your needs in some circumstances.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]