Hotwire Hotel: New here - Help needed

johannah
By johannah,
in

Hi! My name is Jo and I'm planning a trip to Chicago August 11-13 for me, my husband and 7 yo daughter. I've never used Hotwire before and I'm nervous about what I'm going to get. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me identify these hotels? I would really apreciate it!

3 1/2 star - Magnificent Mile/Streeterville - Suite, Comp. Breakfast, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High Speed internet access - $119

4 1/2 star - Magnificent Mile/Streeterville - Finess Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, HS internet Access - $109

4 star - Magnificent Mile/Streeterville - Smoke Free rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant, Business Center, HS internet access - $93

4 star - Chicago Loop - Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant, Business Center, HS internet access - $92

Thanks so much for any help!!

Welcome to the site. :)

3.5* Mag Mile = likely Embassy Suites Lakefront

4.5* Mag Mile = likely Intercontinental

4* Mag Mile = likely Sheraton (definitely wouldn't recommend this property.)

4* Loop = likely Palmer House.

The 3.5* Embassy Suites Lakefront is more expensive, but you do get a larger room in a great location, as well as free breakfast and evening reception. The Intercontinental is also a lovely, historic property right on Michigan Ave. I'd go with either of those.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to start your purchase.

The revenue managers at each hotel property decide how many rooms, at what price, are available to hotwire. Then hotwire displays the LOWEST price PER STAR LEVEL available at the time of your search.

If a cheaper 3.5* option is showing in the Mag Mile now, then the Embassy Suites may still be available, whenever the lower priced inventory sells out.

Or the Embassy Suites manager may offer more rooms to hotwire.

There is no way to know.

You've got some time, so you might want to wait. But then again, availability changes quickly, as you've seen. So you may want to book as soon as an acceptable hotel shows up at your target price.

Also may be a good idea to book a fully refundable/cancellable backup reservation somewhere to take the stress out of the search.

Welcome to the site. :)

3.5* Mag Mile = likely Embassy Suites Lakefront

4.5* Mag Mile = likely Intercontinental

4* Mag Mile = likely Sheraton (definitely wouldn't recommend this property.)

4* Loop = likely Palmer House.

The 3.5* Embassy Suites Lakefront is more expensive, but you do get a larger room in a great location, as well as free breakfast and evening reception. The Intercontinental is also a lovely, historic property right on Michigan Ave. I'd go with either of those.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to start your purchase.

Wouldn't The Inercontinental have a pool listed?

Wouldn't The Inercontinental have a pool listed?

As per the Hotwire Hotel List you'll see that the Inter-Continental appears both with and without a pool, so this property does not always show all of its amenities.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

GM Mike,

Are you saying that only one hotel at each star level will show for each area?

Also, who determines what amenities are listed for the hotel on Hotiwre? Is it the revenue manager or Hotwire?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question.

Are you saying that only one hotel at each star level will show for each area?
Yes. (however, in some areas you may also see one Condo property at the same star level, in addition to the hotel)
Also, who determines what amenities are listed for the hotel on Hotiwre?
The hotel.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, when I searched today this 4 1/2 star Mag Mile Streeterville came up -

$124 - Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, HS Internet Access

Could this be The Conrad or is it likely still The Intercontinental? It's the first time the price has been higher than $109 for a 4 1/2 star.

Johannah, please keep discussion regarding your trip in this original thread you posted. Thanks.

For your dates, I'd much rather suggest some of the far cheaper deals on HOTWIRE than the Avenue deal on Orbitz.com for $167. There is a 4.5* in the Mag Mile area for $119 on HOTWIRE for your dates - nearly $50 bucks less per night. There's also a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for $93.

Keep in mind the suites at the Avenue, while bigger than the average room, aren't vastly larger.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Thank you! I thought my daughter would enjoy the rooftop pool at the Avenue.

Would the 4.5 be The Intercontinental still and the 4 be The Sheraton? I worry the room at The Intr. will be too small for the three of us and I've heard bad things about the Sheraton.

Who knew planning a vacation would be so stressful! LOL I just want everything to be special since it's for our 15th anniversary and out daughters first trip to Chicago.

The Avenue is formerly the Radisson; I haven't stayed at the Avenue, but I've heard good things.

Still, the Intercontinental is a really beautiful, very richly historic property with some gorgeous public areas (the pool is one of the first pools built on a higher floor, and it has been preserved quite superbly since it was originally built in 1929.) It's a more unique experience, and would be - I think - a better, more "upscale" choice for your anniversary. Additionally, the Intercontinental is slightly more centrally located near the river.

The rooms that I've stayed at the Intercontinental haven't been small - they have been about average for a "regular" room at a downtown property.

I wouldn't put the Sheraton in the category of "bad" hotel, I simply had a very mediocre stay there. What was especially disappointing is that it's in a great location and has the potential to be a really nice property if some steps were taken. I wrote the hotel a list of concerns, but they never responded (although the parent company did respond quite nicely.)

Not sure what the 4* is exactly that is showing for these dates - it could be the Sheraton, but is likely either the Hard Rock or Westin River North. It's a 4* w/fitness, restaurant, business, internet.

Getting back to the Avenue deal via Orbitz, keep in mind that would only be 1 bed. I'd still recommend the cheaper options, but if you did still want the Avenue, I thought I'd mention this as a possible issue.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Orbitz.com links.

I worry the room at The Intr. will be too small for the three of us...

In what way? If you're including 2adults/1child on your HOTWIRE search there will be sleep accomodations for all three of you... how much space do you need?

In what way? If you're including 2adults/1child on your HOTWIRE search there will be sleep accomodations for all three of you... how much space do you need?

My biggest concern is the 2 double beds. My husband is 6'2" and when we visit my parents we sleep in a double bed. It's fairly cramped for the two of us and his feet hang off the end.

Two queens would be ideal but it sounds like a lot of Chicago hotels have doubles instead. It may be better to all sleep in a king bed which we have done before in hotels. Or maybe do a King with a rollaway?

In terms of double beds, many hotels in Chicago offer them. If you need a certain kind of bed, it's best to book conventionally - although that will definitely be more expensive. The 1BR suite at the Avenue would offer 1 king bed, but for $50 more.

The Avenue 1BR suites are 460 SQ Ft, according to Expedia. The average sq. ft of a regular room at most Chicago hotels is between 250-350 sq. ft. Not really that much more room for another $50 a night.

If you really would prefer a suite, I'd rather suggest the Embassy Suites downtown for $149.25 via Orbitz.com (non-refundable, although you can also use the deal0hotel coupon code for 10% off.) At least with that you would get breakfast & evening reception, as well as be in an excellent location. You would also be able to get the Orbitz.com promotion for the $50 Restaurant.com Gift Certificate.

Please use the site's Orbitz.com or HOTWIRE links.

Or 'worst case scenario', your husband could sleep by himself and you with your child... i'm not saying it's ideal, but if you don't want to spend the money on a hotel direct purchase, this would seem like an acceptable workaround and a "if things go wrong" plan.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]