Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) Hilton Garden Inn

NYCtravel
By NYCtravel,
in

I need help to find a nice room for 3 adults and 1 child in Chicago. We plan to stay anywhere from 2 to 4 nights and our schedule is flexible. Any time between mid-July to mid-Aug is good. Which time is cheaper? I prefer a 4* hotel, but if the price and quality is right I'll take a 3*.

We will need somewhere safe to park our car while we are there. Do hotels in Chicago have parking available for guest? I'm looking to spend anywhere from $80-$150 per night.

Should I wait until a month out before I start looking? Or is it okay to start my search now? I would need a room with 2 separate queen beds. Is that even possible in Chicago? If we need to drive a little to get to the tour spots, I'm okay with that. Is it generally cheaper to get weekend rates?

Thanks! :)

If you read that thread today, would you prefer to see at the end that the trip was cancelled OR instead be left wondering what you ultimately did for that stay?

Ideally you would have added this information once you decided to cancell the trip :) , but as per above, "YES", please conclude that thread... then bump this thread and we'll have a look at the above.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I need help to find a nice room for 3 adults and 1 child in Chicago. We plan to stay anywhere from 2 to 4 nights and our schedule is flexible. Any time between mid-July to mid-Aug is good. Which time is cheaper?

are your plans firm? What have you seen on HOTWIRE when searching for 3 adults and 1 child? Please post star level, zone, dates and price.

Here's what Hotwire found for Jul 15 - 18

$209 4.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

$139 3-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

$182 3.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

$131 3-star hotel in Museum Campus - McCormick Place - Soldier Field

$243 3-star hotel in Chicago Loop

$141 3-star hotel in Oak Lawn - Midway Airport MDW

$162 3-star hotel in West Loop - Medical District - UIC

Now is it just me or do these prices seem quite high?

They are higher due to being in the middle of the busier Summer season, as well as searching for three adults. Prices right now are still cheap due to the season. I would strongly suggest staying in the Mag Mile area. You would not want to stay in the West Loop - Medical District - UIC area or the Midway Airport area. I also definitely wouldn't pay $200+ for a 3* in the Loop.

What are the amenities you are seeing with the Mag Mile properties, and what is your budget per night?

I believe it's either these two hotels according from the hotel list:

3.5* Four Points

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry

3.5* Wyndham Chicago (previously 4*)

Customer Favorite

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

(same as Doubletree)

(may also be only Fitness, Business)

I would need a room with 2 separate queen beds. Is that even possible in Chicago?

To back up a moment...

You are not guaranteed two queen beds when using HOTWIRE... only "sleeping accomodations" for everyone you include on your search. This will frequently mean two separate beds (not necessarily queens) but the second 'bed' could be a rollaway brought into the room or a pullout sofabed... is this acceptable to you?

With this noted, i'm not seeing the above 3.5* property offered for your dates when searching for 3adults/1child... only when searching for 2adults/0children. Are you searching for double or quad occupancy when you see this property offered?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That's weird. It's not showing for 3 adults and 1 child anymore but I am sure that was the criteria I searched for... back to the drawing board. :)

A roll away bed, full size bed and a sofa would adequate. One full size bed and a roll away bed wouldn't be enough for 3 adults and a child however.

You can doublecheck historically, but i think most of the Tzoo deals i see are for double occupancy and an additional charge for 3rd and 4th guests, so that's something to consider when you weigh your options as well.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Expedia if you go that route)

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Felix was $135 and change + $26 extra guest charge via Expedia.com when I mentioned it on this thread a few days ago. Now it's $143.65. That appears to be a refundable reservation (although check the fine print.)

I'm not seeing anything cheaper that's refundable. There are some good non-refundable deals (Hotel Sax for $119 via Expedia.com)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My family is making a road trip to Chicago within the next couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide whether it's a good idea to get a hotel near the airport or find one downtown.

I certainly would prefer to avoid paying expensive parking, but since I have a 2 year old with us, I would need to lug a stroller around on the buses and trains.

We're touring some spots downtown, need to go to the O'hare airport and will likely goto legoland. For the most part we will hit the common tour spots like the sears towers and etc... any other family friendly recommendations?

I have another thread so I hope it's okay to start this one.

So far I booked a room downtown (2 queens) for $119 a night at the Whitehall but I am leaning towards canceling it without penalty if it would make better sense to stay near the airport or another suburban area.

Any advice?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]