Hotwire Hotel: 3* Banff Ptarmigan Inn

GM Mike
By GM Mike,
in

Just the one night. For the other, we have a negotiated rate (wedding) of $129 at the designated post-wedding-gathering hotel.

I'm open to any suggestions but based on what everyone says it's a matter of slugging it out until we hit. If it gets too expensive, we may stay in Canmore or Calgary for the night.

No takers up to $70 3.5* and $50 3*.

I may be too early on this. Looking on hotwire on other Fridays, it looks like the higher rated hotels are loading inventory about 6 weeks out.

Depending on my impatience, I might take a break now for two or three weeks.

We're getting $129 for the Saturday night. We can add Friday for $234... My reaction to reading that: :)

And actually, as it turns out, that really IS a discount for that property.

I'd rather stay in Calgary than pay $234. It's not my wedding...

Good thought tho, thanks for putting it out there. Just not going to happen this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm up to $74/$54 now. I've got over 3 weeks left, so my plan is to inch up $2 a day, unless hotwire's inventory changes in a significant way.

turboguy, what did you end up doing for a backup plan? If you're still bidding, you should start your own thread so folks can help...

I'm still bidding. I still have a little over a week left so there's lots of time. I'm not really worried (yet??) because Hotwire, Canmore (looks like $65 for Radisson is very likely), and even Expedia are my fallback plans.

• 2 weeks later...

If you change your search to 2adults/2children a 3* at the same $97 price appears with:

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Golf, Spa

This is a match for the Banff Caribou Lodge so that would be my best guess, and given the same price as the 2adults/0chidren search, i'll speculate that this may be the same hotel your seeing on that search but with some amenities 'missing'. If you're interested in trying for this property i would do so as 2adults/2children since its a stronger match based upon previous reports.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and continue to keep us updated.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, we have a resolution...

Availability changed, now the 3* showing was:

$106 for 2 adults

Fitness Center

Restaurant

Golf Nearby

Spa

Booked it using the betterbidding HOTWIRE link, it's the

Banff Ptarmigan Inn

337 Banff Ave.,

Banff, AB, T1L 1B7

Phone:(403) 762-2207

Hotel rate per night - Hotwire hot Rate: $106.00

Nights: 1

Rooms: 1

Subtotal: $106.00

Tax recovery charges and fees: $19.11

Total price: $125.11

It's new for the hotel list but I was pretty sure about it, due to the tripadvisor info. It has mostly good reviews and is in a good location, so I'm sure it'll be fine. (I had a $10 coupon, so it was roughly the same as a $98 priceline bid.)

Previously bid up to $110 3.5* and $90 3* on priceline.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up, Banff was awesome and the Ptarmigan was better than expected. Perfect location right in downtown Banff and excellent beds. Much better than the beds in the hotel for the second night for the wedding (Buffalo Mountain Lodge - "like covering a park bench with a sheet")...

I would definitely pick this hotel on hotwire before bidding on priceline. The Juniper Hotel that's been coming up on priceline for 3* is way outside of town by the highway. It's definitely worth it to stay downtown.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]