Priceline Hotel: Bidding Assistance 4* Coastal

josie
By josie,
in

Im going to San Diego next month, November 10 - 13, and ideally would like a coastal 4* hotel for 1 person, 3 nights.

I saw the hotels mostly offered on the hotel list, and the Hyatt La Jolla, Hyatt Islandia, Hilton Torrey and Hilton San Diego Resort are the ones usually accepted at $65-$75/night. I've been studying hard :)

With this in mind, October 1st, I started at $55 with increasing $5 increments with every free rebid until $85. All rejected.

Today again, I did the same, adding "free re-bid" zones every time. still nothing all the way up to $85.

This is such a popular spot and many people have gotten this accepted at $75 which is my goal.

Im out of there by Saturday too, so no weekend check-in

Any ideas of what Im doing wrong? :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The Hilton Torry Pines is sold-out for your dates. The Hilton resort and the one of the Hyatts (i only looked at one of them) shows rates higher than average.... i suspect the other Hyatt will reveal the same thing.

Do you have a back-up reservation anywhere?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow Hyatt La Jolla"s rate is only $179 per night,I would have thought you could have won it for $50-$85 per night.I would not start your bidding to high after your 72hrs are up because with those rates you should have already got it.They might not be giving PL any rooms yet.

There could be something going on for the days you want to be there, that doesn't apply to your neighbor's stay.

But maybe on your next bid use a different computer, different account, and different credit card, just in case there's some unknown problem (this has been reported a few times for no apparent reason).

Also, have you looked at Hotwire?

Hyatt Islandia accepted her rate for $66 on Priceline's first try :)

I definetely need advice.

It's not really that complicated...

Hyatt Islandia for your dates: $259/$269 (internet/traditional)

Hyatt Islandia for your neighbors dates: $179/$189 (internet/traditional)

I haven't checked again, but recall above that the two other hotels i checked on were sold-out for your dates.... all of this leads to increased occupancy for your dates, higher traditional rates, and higher Priceline rates.

Do you have a back-up reservation (if so, where and how much?)

What is your maximum bid amount? To save money, would you be willing to SPLIT YOUR BID?

With answers to the above we can suggest a stratety to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I do not have a back up reservation.

The amount I was willing to spend was $85/night, but now that is seems to be unreasonable, I can increase it by a little bit, but I really dont want to go above $100/night. Especially when Ive stayed in this area before for $60/night (Columbus day weekend)

Yes, I would definetely consider splitting the bids. If you get the same hotel upon winning a bid, can you usually keep the same room?

Ive checked out Hotwire, and from matching hotels, I think the Hyatt Islandia is on there for $118/night.

I do not have a back up reservation.... but I really dont want to go above $100/night

So if you are not successful at $100, would you cancel the trip, raise your bidding limit again, take the $118 on Hotwire, or lower your star quality?

Unfortunately, i think the middle nite of your stay is the one that is creating difficulty... i assume you don't want to change hotels each nite.

If you receive the same hotel you almost always can keep the same room, but usually have to go to the front desk at the end of one reservation and have them officially check you out/in to the room.

If I cannot get the price I want, I would have no choice but to research Hotwire. Cross my fingers, hope the price has gone down, ensure whatever I find is the lowest cost I can get, and just book it.

Im going to try and try again after every 72 hrs until I see Hotwire's price increasing, and then book at Priceline or Hotwire at the last minute with hopes that something has changed on the inventory.

You guys have really helped. thank you..

My feeling is that it will just get harder and harder to get a room for that expensive night. You know from your neighbor that Hyatt did release inventory for a later time they knew would be less crowded, so it's quite likely they've released everything they are going to release for your dates. My Priceline track record with hoping that an expensive night will become less so at the last minute has been a strikeout.

I found that on Harbor Island - Downtown, Im pulling up a room for $97/night on hotwire - customer favorite. Im matching it to be the Sheraton or Wyndham. With the coupons, that would really bring the cost down. If I cant snag a coastal room for cheaper by the 25th, I think I will go with this one.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]