Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) King George Hotel

Colfax
By Colfax,
in

Here's an addition for the Hotel List. I won't say "Here's a new hotel" because the King George was built in 1913.

King George Hotel

334 Mason Street

San Francisco, CA 94102

I bid this the night before my stay.

Prior rejected bids:

$57/4*: USE, USW, SOMA, Embarcadero

$55/3.5*: all four zones

$50/3*: all four zones

First bid of $40 for 2.5* was accepted. Could I have won it for less? Hotwire had a 3* Boutique in USW for $61.

Parking is $30/night, valet only, plus a $15 surcharge for large vehicles. You can find nearby lots that charge less. Highspeed internet is free.

King George has a convenient central location, one block west of Union Square, in between the Hilton and Westin St Francis. I didn't get a teeny-tiny room like you sometimes do at these early century hotels. The standard room is one Queen bed; upgrades to King bed or Two Beds are available for $25. I didn't feel cramped in my standard room, which had the bed, desk & chair, a bureau, and a stuffed reading chair with a side table and lamp. A big window with a decent view let in plenty of light and the window opened all the way for fresh air. No screen in the window and I worried a pigeon might fly into my room!

The King George has a British theme, no surprise. A portrait of King George is on the hotel stationary. English ales (and American) on tap at Winston's Bar & Lounge in the lobby. High Tea is served in the Windsor Tea Room, by prior reservation. Mosty Europeans were at the hotel. I heard French, German, and Dutch in the elevator. No British accents anywhere!

The hotel has some of the issues common to hotels of its era---no central AC (there's a ceiling fan over the bed); narrow hallways; small slow elevators. Still it's a warm and hospitable hotel, professionally run, and overall I liked the place, and the location. My one minor maintainence request---a drape came off its roller and I couldn't pull it shut---was promptly addressed. The concierge and front desk staff were helpful and knowledgable about the area.

Two popular 24-hour restaurants are on the King George block---Lori's Diner is next door and the Pinecrest across the street---so the hotel block is populated day and night. My room was set back from Mason Street, almost at the rear of the hotel, and I hardly heard any street noise at all, which surprised me for such a busy location. The rooms overlooking Geary Street are probably noisier.

Bids were placed through the BetterBidding PRICELINE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]