DC Willard InterContinental

epicureangirl
By epicureangirl,
in

I had a 3 night September stay at the Willard, under 2 separate Hotwire reservations (it was much cheaper to split my dates) which the hotel handled without any problems. Check-in was smooth, we were given a non-adjoining, non-smoking room (as requested) on the top floor. I had read on Trip Advisor of the 'lesser' rooms that were rather dark with a small window. This was probably one of them as we had a porthole window and the room wasn't over-the-top opulent, as in some of the room photos shown on their website.

The decor is very traditional, my room decor was mostly gold-tones. It wasn't a jaw-dropping, stunning room, but still very nice and plenty of room. The bed was extraordinarly comfortable with wonderful Frette sheets (watch out Starwood!). The quality linens extendend into the marble bathroom as well. The towels were superior quality (Frette too, I think) and the water pressure was fantastic (Speakman shower head). Toilettries were plentiful (a British brand I wasn't familiar with) and included mouthwash and a few other items that are non-standard in most hotels.

I have stayed in many 5* hotels, but hands-down their overall level of housekeeping was superior. Turndown service was automatic, music and lighting comfortably set and our ice bucket was filled each evening. The bedding was folded differently each night of our stay, in a decorative way (think of decorative napkin folding for your bedding). If any of our toilettries were partially used, they also replaced these at turn-down.

The hotel is about a 6 minute walk or so between two of the stations, so if you don't have a lot of luggage you may consider taking public transit to or from the Dulles Airport (which was quite cheap considering the alternatives).

The area immediately around the hotel is not too exciting -- if I was going for pleasure again I'd probably choose a different area of the city (with more restaurants and shopping). It does feel perfectly safe in the area and I would not hesitate to recommend the Willard. Overall, many things going for this hotel for the price I paid (about $90 a night).

Cheers.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]